Top Ramen Noodles. - Page 5 - Mountain Buzz

Old 1 Week Ago   #41

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
AbnMike, I have seen that brand at my store, I will definitely pick up a couple packs, I like spicy. The Top Ramen, these babies are iconic, I can't just throw them in the trash. On the shuttle Discovery "Space Ram" Top Ramen was consumed and Dr. Gene Ellis ate a pack of Top Ramen on the peak of Mt. Everest, don't know if he cooked it or not. But thanks for the heads up on Shin Ramyum, there on my list.

raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #42

Western Slope, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
AbnMike, I have seen that brand at my store, I will definitely pick up a couple packs, I like spicy. The Top Ramen, these babies are iconic, I can't just throw them in the trash. On the shuttle Discovery "Space Ram" Top Ramen was consumed and Dr. Gene Ellis ate a pack of Top Ramen on the peak of Mt. Everest, don't know if he cooked it or not. But thanks for the heads up on Shin Ramyum, there on my list.
I do still like Top Ramen. Growing up as a poor kid they were a staple through summer.

But a year long tour in Korea turned me onto Shin and it’s so so good!
AbnMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #43

thornton, Colorado
That explains the raw egg, it's an acquired taste, I do the same thing with the noodles too and on hot rice with soy sauce and crushed red pepper flakes. About once or twice a year I make kimchi in a crock with salt, garlic and dried red pepper brine, soaked with Chinese cabbage, good stuff. I also throw down a pretty good pork green chili dish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #44

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Pork green chile on ramen?It would probably be great,hell NMX/COLO style green chile would make cardboard palatable!There used to be a diner in Fruita that served Mexican Spaghetti ,green chile instead of marinara. We tried to stop there every trip to Westwater or where ever in U.

Not ramen related but the soaking ramen in vinegar reminded me of a really good cold pasta salad;whole grain rotini with diced red onion-red bell pepper-black olives,tuna,and feta cheese, drizzeled with olive oil and red wine vinegar...basically a Greek pasta salad...might break my rule about fishy smelling stuff in the cooler for that one....
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #45

plainfield, New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by cayo 2 View Post
Pork green chile on ramen?It would probably be great,hell NMX/COLO style green chile would make cardboard palatable!There used to be a diner in Fruita that served Mexican Spaghetti ,green chile instead of marinara. We tried to stop there every trip to Westwater or where ever in U.

Not ramen related but the soaking ramen in vinegar reminded me of a really good cold pasta salad;whole grain rotini with diced red onion-red bell pepper-black olives,tuna,and feta cheese, drizzeled with olive oil and red wine vinegar...basically a Greek pasta salad...might break my rule about fishy smelling stuff in the cooler for that one....

You led us off spam, but that salad sounds awesome... I am going to try it on Sat, but sub in balsamic vinegar for the red wine... I think it will be awesome.
jerseyjeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #46

Denver, Colorado
another good vinegary cold summer side salad;kidney beans-black beans-red onion-corn kernels-vinegar
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Days Ago   #47

thornton, Colorado
Cayo 2, thanks for those recipes they sound great. I know you don't like fish, so you might want to stop reading now, cause it's going to get ugly from here. Awhile back when I was preparing Mackerel sushi by taking a couple whole Mackerel, scrap the scales off the skin, and than removing the head and tail, than you de-bone the fish and lay it flat on a cookie pan, baste the fish with sweet and sour rice wine vinegar, crushed garlic and roasted, crushed poppy seeds. Than you take the uncooked Mackerel with the marinade on it and set them out side in the sun to ferment for a little while and let the vinegar marinade that actually cook's the fish. After three hours in the sun you fill the inside of the Mackerel with with rice than slice, it's a great unique Sushi. Well one time after waiting the three hours I went to retrieve the fish and they were not there in the pan, I thought what the hell, I looked over by the bushes and there sat two huge cat's licking their paws and cleaning their faces.
Old 4 Days Ago   #48
SarahofTheWaves

FoCo,NoCo, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Then, then, then , then
sarahkonamojo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Days Ago   #49

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Quote:
another good vinegary cold summer side salad;kidney beans-black beans-red onion-corn kernels-vinegar
This is a great one. I like to throw in some cherry or grape tomatoes and cilantro to make this even better. Then serve in bowls with Fritos Scoops to eat it with.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Days Ago   #50

Pocatello, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1979
Quote:
We've made this at home and on the river for years. We like to use hominy in place of corn kernels, and add a little salsa. We always called it "Texas caviar."
Waterhopper is offline   Reply With Quote