Top Ramen Noodles. - Page 4 - Mountain Buzz

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #31

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
jerseyjeff,, thank goodness for generic wedding invitations with fill in the blank's, I think I still have a box of them somewhere just incase, if anybody needs some. Spam in the square can has been around for quite awhile, I remember when they came with a steel key to twist the lid off, so you did not even need a can opener, that was a big deal back than. To me, the tast of the Spam was a little richer and firmer. Good video, funny I was born before that was filmed...MT4Runner that bowl of Noodles looks tasty, the nice thing about those Ramen Noodle's they are light, easy to prepare and you can add dry shitake mushroom's, rice seaweed seasoning, and heavy smoked salmon for a quick meal, when you don't have time to cook and need something warm in your stomach.

raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #32

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
I thoroughly enjoyed the Hormel video. Thanks jerseyjeff. I have to admit to a remaining fondness of eating Dinty Moore beef stew around a camp fire.

Back in the day when I was in elementary school during the 60s we used to take field trips to bakeries, dairies and other cool factories. Never got to visit a Hormel factory though. Too bad field trips are a thing of the past. They were the best days of the year.
Ever_Cat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #33

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
I got to tour Eddy's Bakery and Ayershire Dairy in Great Falls, MT back in the day...in addition to the ever-ubiquitous tour of Giant Springs which was a must-stop when any family/friends were visiting from out of town. took it for granted, then!
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #34

thornton, Colorado
Dainty Moore beef stew, Spam, corn beef hash, chicken and dumplings, chili, caned fruit, pre made Graham cracker pie crust and canned pie filling, etc. are great items to pack on a river trip, hunting trip, fishing and camping trip, no ice needed. I've float fished a few day's with just can goods, stove and a coffee pot, more time fishing, less time cooking. Took a plane ride today with a friend that has his own planes, flew I25 to Fort Collins than over to North Gate, looks boney, still snow on the hillsides, than we dropped down to Kremmling airport and grabbed some petro. Flew upper and lower Gore Canyon, looks like they put in some water feature's at the Pump House boat ramp, bummer. Counted about a dozen rafts, looked like fun. A little bumpy and some lower cloud's today. Joe took my camera to up load some photos to his computer, cheep bastard won't buy his own camera, I will up load a couple pictures when he brings my camera back to me.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #35

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
didn;t expect to be watching Spam videos today,but i enjoyed it .It reminded of getting shipped off to rural Ohio for my boyhood summers back then.My parents were semi hippies that let my hair grow and the first thing my grandparents would do is take me to the barber to get a haircut exactly like the red headed kid.I like tho corny old time film style on occasion .

Going on factory tours can be fUn..Went on a field trip to the Clover Club potato chip factory in Denver once.. pretty psyched about the free samples ..likewise Coors,Busch,Heineken,and Beck's,breweries..probably the best though was NL's tortilla factory in Belize where they had some very antiquated industrial equipment[ looked like 19th century ] and ladies in funky uniforms scrambling to keep up with all the conveyer belts,like an old I Love Lucy episode.

thought this kind of an odd thread,like you guys just discovered Top Ramen..i always thought it was a classic stoner or broke college student staple [appaently raft guides too]...i always bought frozen peas when i got some ramens..egg stirred in is excellent..guess other people like peanut butter in it too...yes have eaten it uncooked the flavor packet is kind of rough that way and definitely not good for you...those $1.50 bags of shredded cabbage w/carrots slaw work well with ramen and they hold up longer/better than most greens...garlic lots of spices .Hoisin sauce if you want a richer sweet flavor..You guys came up with some pretty elaborate concoctions that sound good except i despise salmon and would not want fishy smell in my cooler ever..a fisherman would obviously disagree..

old school camping staples were hot dogs or precooked Brats roasted on a hand carved stick,aka Tommy the twig,and VanCamps baked beans [now Bush' are better] often just cut off the lid and set in the coals..another common one they called hobos which was ground beef=potato-onion-carrots -seasonings just wrapped in foil and put in the coals for 1/2 hr....marshmallow roasting was standard and sometimes schmores...do not wrap ears of corn in foil with butter and puncture /perforate with a fork and stick roast ,like my friends once did, you will end with a corn torch that is hard to extinguish and if you do put it out and try to eat it it is full of foil schrapnel...

bacon and eggs usually with diced potatos cooked in a cast iron skillet was/is standard for car camping breakfasts

out of curiosity why are features at Pumphouse bad? intereferes with rafting somehow?or you just do not like them altering the river? seems like if there is a boat ramp there it is already altered..you may have a good reason,I'd like to hear it.
cayo 2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #36

thornton, Colorado
A Classic fishing area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cayo 2 View Post
didn;t expect to be watching Spam videos today,but i enjoyed it .It reminded of getting shipped off to rural Ohio for my boyhood summers back then.My parents were semi hippies that let my hair grow and the first thing my grandparents would do is take me to the barber to get a haircut exactly like the red headed kid.I like tho corny old time film style on occasion .

Hu
Going on factory tours can be fUn..Went on a field trip to the Clover Club potato chip factory in Denver once.. pretty psyched about the free samples ..likewise Coors,Busch,Heineken,and Beck's,breweries..probably the best though was NL's tortilla factory in Belize where they had some very antiquated industrial equipment[ looked like 19th century ] and ladies in funky uniforms scrambling to keep up with all the conveyer belts,like an old I Love Lucy episode.

thought this kind of an odd thread,like you guys just discovered Top Ramen..i always thought it was a classic stoner or broke college student staple [appaently raft guides too]...i always bought frozen peas when i got some ramens..egg stirred in is excellent..guess other people like peanut butter in it too...yes have eaten it uncooked the flavor packet is kind of rough that way and definitely not good for you...those $1.50 bags of shredded cabbage w/carrots slaw work well with ramen and they hold up longer/better than most greens...garlic lots of spices .Hoisin sauce if you want a richer sweet flavor..You guys came up with some pretty elaborate concoctions that sound good except i despise salmon and would not want fishy smell in my cooler ever..a fisherman would obviously disagree..

old school camping staples were hot dogs or precooked Brats roasted on a hand carved stick,aka Tommy the twig,and VanCamps baked beans [now Bush' are better] often just cut off the lid and set in the coals..another common one they called hobos which was ground beef=potato-onion-carrots -seasonings just wrapped in foil and put in the coals for 1/2 hr....marshmallow roasting was standard and sometimes schmores...do not wrap ears of corn in foil with butter and puncture /perforate with a fork and stick roast ,like my friends once did, you will end with a corn torch that is hard to extinguish and if you do put it out and try to eat it it is full of foil schrapnel...

bacon and eggs usually with diced potatos cooked in a cast iron skillet was/is standard for car camping breakfasts

out of curiosity why are features at Pumphouse bad? intereferes with rafting somehow?or you just do not like them altering the river? seems like if there is a boat ramp there it is already altered..you may have a good reason,I'd like to hear it.
Cayro 2...I have not been to the Pump House boat ramp in 5 years, just spotted it yesterday from the air and noticed the restructuring of the river at the Pump House area. That spot was actually a classic stretch where sport anglers studied the natural formation of that part of the river for fishing. We studied the flows at different water levels, where the fish hold at for feeding for a particular insect hatch that time of year or time of day, breeding area spots, etc. it takes years of experience to read the river at specific spots for enjoyable angling. Should I use dry fly method, wet fly or streamers. That spot by the Pump House was a classic section of the river to apply your angling skills. On specific parts of a river, certain areas possess excellent angling challenges and habitat as this stretch of river possed. The Pump House, Radium, Island and Bench were classic fishing spots before river rafting became very popular on that stretch of river. When we first showed up at Rancho for cold beer's and icecream with 20 passengers in 1974, there was no boat ramp and Bud and Wanda wondered where we came from. We cleaned them out of beer, icecream, candy bars and soda, a small store at that time, slowly the cooler's, freezers and shelves got larger, with alot more stock. The old sigh that says speed control by Wanda, was heeded by all because her speed gun was a Smith & Wesson 38 sp revolver. Rafting never effected the prime fishing spots, but reconstruction of river flows will causes the fish to move or breeding areas to decline. To me it's like pulling into your favorite camping spot and finding out someone shit in your kitchen and sleeping area.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #37

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
good answer..was not thinking fishing ,thought it was more of rafter v. kayaker thing ..or enviornmental issue which it sort of is..it seems like if multiple recreational activities share a resource they need to cooperate /compromise to accommodate each other .like boaters leaving prime fishing spots alone or with a very wide berth at times of optimal fishing conditions and vice versa..getting people to cooperate is a different story unfortunately
cayo 2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #38

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
A great lunch dish we did on trips in Nepal(where Ramen is everywhere) is in the morning put the noodles(uncooked) in a container with vinegar, oil, seasonings, some veggies, really anything that you would like. Seal it up and put it in a cooler. Voila, at lunchtime you have awondeful pasta type salad.
salsasean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #39

thornton, Colorado
Napal, strange beautiful scenery and culture, I have heard. I'm going to try that recipe for sure, sounds very tasty plus the same lunch menu's get old after awhile, this one will give a good change up... I took some Ramen Noodles, after a quick boil and a good rinse, I pan fried them in butter till they were semi crisp, than placed them on a plate and poured La Choy chop-suey vegetables with peeled shrimp mixed in with it, along with some small dried red peppers. It was quick and easy, tasty too.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #40

Western Slope, Colorado
Take all your Top Ramen and throw it in the garbage. Then go to your local grocery store (our stores in Grand Junction sell it so it's likely everywhere) and buy this:

Shin Ramyun. Much much much better. It's flavorful. It's spicy (it's probably really spicy if you aren't into spicy foods, esp Korean foods so first time you make it hold half the spice in reserve). It's probably in your store's "Asian" section.

Good with a raw egg, or dried mushrooms or thin slices of beef, etc. And if you make it really spicy it will clear out your sinuses on a cold day.

Cost maybe .70 more than a package of the cheap stuff but so worth it.
Attached Images

AbnMike is online now   Reply With Quote