Tonights Debate - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-07-2008   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Tonights Debate

What is the verdict?I thought tonight's debate was another draw,no real screw ups or major blows dealt.I was wrong about the tenor being extreme pandering [ based that on recent ads] there was a little Yankee Doodling by McCain, but not bad.The people asked half way decent questions,thought there would be more interaction with them.They never got around to social wedge issues.I favor Obama but don't see a clear winner.Whats your take?

cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2008   #2

Weyers Cave, Virginia
Paddling Since: 2001
Send a message via AIM to Slunk
I got the impression that the two candidates were dancing at some Senior Prom with the same date, who was the ugly fat girl(the American people). They didn't step on any toes or trip up but they didn't get too close and grind or moonwalk for that matter...

just my poor analogy...
Slunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008   #3

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
Well in any 'tie', Obama will be the winner. With the tide going his way, the ball is in McCains court to shake things up.

What is with McCain and his buy up the bad mortgages and then renegotiate the terms? If the gov. buys up a mortgage, then we own the deed and can just set the terms. Why the gov. would have to negotiate the terms just says to me he is clueless on financial matters, which he used to freely admit anyway.
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2008   #4
gh

pnw, Colorado
I saw Obama as the clear winner. McCain has two or three issues and tries to drive them home no matter what the question. It grows tiresome.
You could play a drinking game based on how many times he says, My Friend, but you would be very drunk.
Old 10-07-2008   #5

Denver, Colorado
Slunk, Thats actually a most excellent analogy and the image of McCain moonwalking is humor.

Not that it is relevant ,but anybody notice McSimilar's [ i think he is far superior to W ] hands ?There is something reptilian about them like gator paws or something,all leathery.I tell ya' he is having back trouble ,he walks like a penguin.Can't Cindy cop some muscle relaxers or something ,help a geezer out.
Old 10-07-2008   #6

the fort, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
i think obama was also the clear winner, but i was disappointed with the lack of real answers from either of them, in particular from mccain. surely he realizes that he's getting his ass kicked for not focusing on what people really care about - the tasks at hand at home. the only time he really appeared to hit his stride was when the fellow navy serviceman asked the question about israel v. iran. he got on a roll during that one, regardless of whether any of the drivel really mattered or not.

interesting commentary on msnbc afterward with the focus group they put together. obama was the clear winner with the audience there, and in particular with the independents on three issues they asked about.
Old 10-07-2008   #7
swimming

conifer, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by gh View Post
I saw Obama as the clear winner. McCain has two or three issues and tries to drive them home no matter what the question. It grows tiresome.
You could play a drinking game based on how many times he says, My Friend, but you would be very drunk.
You're on crack! It was even if not won by Mcain. Mcain exposed his Trillion plus in additional spending programs and his ties to Fannie/freddie scandal. Didn't like the format, thougth both should have the right to respond to outright lies by the other-Mcain would favor this exchange.

I can't believe he didn't repeat "no earmarks" what about my foe the furthest left in the Senate...check the facts; rated this way by right and left think tanks. Further left then the commie, can't remember his name, from Vermont. Do we really want Joe "obama" Stalin as our next Pres?
mr. compassionate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008   #8
Kjirsten

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Before the bailout passed, someone else recommended buying the bad mortgages as a better option- giving the people the money they need to pay their mortgages so that the bailout would be unnecessary. I can't remember who said it- it was a passing mention on NPR.
But it begs the question, why now? Why was it not considered as a viable option before the bailout passed?

I feel like Obama's responses were more substantial, though- more specific. McCain spent a lot of time trying to discredit Obama for taking up too much time.

At least Obama clearly defined his priorities- energy, health care, education- whether that will play out remains to be seen.
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008   #9

Denver, Colorado
GH, I actually considered that drinking game;slam every time they say something predictable.We used to play 'Bob ' to Bob Newhart,but no one can survive 'He Man' they used to chant 'he man he man' thousands of times ,we tried.
Old 10-07-2008   #10
swimming

conifer, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakemetotheRiver View Post
Before the bailout passed, someone else recommended buying the bad mortgages as a better option- giving the people the money they need to pay their mortgages so that the bailout would be unnecessary. I can't remember who said it- it was a passing mention on NPR.
But it begs the question, why now? Why was it not considered as a viable option before the bailout passed?

At least Obama clearly defined his priorities- energy, health care, education- whether that will play out remains to be seen.
That's the most inane idea I've heard yet. Reward/Give deadbeats money because they decided to go out and have dinner rather than pay their mortgage. What happens 8 months down the road when they've spent the money. They're right back where they started with a delinquent mortgage.

Figures NPR would be behind such an ibecilic idea. What about me, I want the gobment to make my payments too. How about they pay me a salary to stay at home and not work; Oh I forgot that's called unemployment and disability.
mr. compassionate is offline   Reply With Quote