Thoughts on power equipment for winter storage - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > The Eddy

Old 10-22-2014   #1

Golden, Colorado
Thoughts on power equipment for winter storage

Hey all Buzzards... Winter seems to be coming here in CO, any thoughts on pros and cons of storing power equipment during off months. i.e. Leaf blowers lawn mower, chain saw, dirt bike.

Options- use fuel stabilizer / or drain all gas and leave empty

I have read and tried some different things. Keep gas with stabilizer in to keep parts lubricated. Like the carb and o-rings. Or drain gas so there is no way for it to clog. Also is there a different thought for 2 stroke and 4 stroke application.

Thanks for the recommendations

gobigohome is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2014   #2

Pinecliffe, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Great general boating topic... may want to try a different forum.
I usually keep a little fuel in mine, never used stabilizer no problems refill with fresh gas when using next.
Old 10-22-2014   #3

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I put my lawnmower in the shed with whatever gas is left in it from the last time I mowed, then in spring, fill it up and pull the crank. Never had any trouble, got it serviced this year after about 7 years or so though it didn't really need it too badly.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2014   #4

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
I do nothing elaborate - I have a lot of small motors; boats to pressure washers, mowers, numerous different Stihl tools to a small diesel tractor. I probably have 20 different small engines and all I do is drain the pressure washer and run my two stroke boat motors with the tanks disconnected to get fuel mix out of the carbs (I do this on the water at last use usually) that's about it... everything runs come spring. I do use stabilizer in the boats but not on anything else - boat carbs can be finicky but I've never had issues with any of the others. Everything is stored inside outbuildings (no climate control).
Old 10-22-2014   #5

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
Run the gas entirely out of small engines- or de-gunk the carb come spring. The other issue is ethanol's corrosive effects on fuel lines etc. Dump it- you'll have a lot less issues to deal with.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014   #6

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
For your 2-strokes, dump the tank. Buy some premix Husqvarna or Stihl gas from your local saw shop. Run a bit of it through the carb. It won't deteriorate over the winter.

Run your 4-stroke dry or treat the tank with Stabil.
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014   #7

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
All the threads about glamping masquerading as rafting discussions are bad enough, but this has no connection whatsoever to paddling.
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014   #8

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack View Post
All the threads about glamping masquerading as rafting discussions are bad enough, but this has no connection whatsoever to paddling.
You're right, Josh, moved to the Eddy. Though I have heard that Dave F. has been known to pull a chainsaw out of his kayak on wood missions...
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014   #9

Golden, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack View Post

Agreed it was a mistake. Sorry to inconvenience with reading

With that said I have a ct70 that I use for shuttle when boating. I.e. Small engine. Also with out it I would not be able to shuttle. We also have a generator we use for power. Also small engine.

Forum admin. If possible please move to appropriate forum location. Thank you for your help.

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz
Old 11-10-2014   #10
Old Guy in a PFD

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1967
It is a stretch from power lawn equipment to boating, but using a leaf blower as a boat inflator is enough of a connection for me.

So one thing; most 2 cycle engines use gas lines and gaskets that ethanol will eat up. Best thing is to drain the gas, and when you service your stuff in the spring make sure you get the manufacturers kit that uses ethanol resistant parts. I had one plastic gas line in my blower that was literally eaten into tiny little strips. But, if you're using a blower on the river to inflate boats, you should be doing preventative maintenance and carry enough parts that you won't find yourself on day 5 of a Grand Canyon trip trying to inflate something with a tube and lung power........
Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote