THomas Friedman of NYT definition of terrorism - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > The Eddy

Old 01-15-2009   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
THomas Friedman of NYT definition of terrorism

THomas Friedman defines terrorism perfectly... except in the process he describes Israel actions in Gaza as the exact definition of terrorism.

Read this article...

Tom Friedman Offers a Perfect Definition of 'Terrorism' | CommonDreams.org

marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2009   #2

Bozeman, Montana
isreal is practicing self defense. action reaction

isreal doesnt just bomb UN buildings for the hell of it.
lets think about the definition and whats happening and look for differences

The term "terrorism" means premeditated, politically motivated violence perpetrated against noncombatant (1) targets by subnational groups or clandestine agents, usually intended to influence an audience. . . .

hamas militanats firing rockets is non combantent?
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009   #3
Kjirsten

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Quote:
Originally Posted by caspermike View Post
The term "terrorism" means premeditated, politically motivated violence perpetrated against noncombatant (1) targets by subnational groups or clandestine agents, usually intended to influence an audience. . . .

hamas militanats firing rockets is non combantent?
No, but most of these people are:

******Israeli attack on Rafah - photo*******The WE News Archives*******
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2009   #4
Self-Aggrandizing jackass

The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
8 years, 10,000 rockets into Israel.
Where does that figure in to these semantic points?
Old 01-15-2009   #5

Denver, Colorado
Helio, Helio, Helio... there you go again. Criticism of Israel DOES NOT equate to support for Hamas. WTF is wrong with you? Shouldn't the same definition of terrorism be applied to both parties?

And, just to clarify.... I agree that the Hamas group are, in fact, terrorists - according to the US military definition.
Old 01-15-2009   #6
Self-Aggrandizing jackass

The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
Jesus Effing Jehosephat, Marko, i replied before I read the link.
I opened the link and read this:

Quote:
Tom Friedman, one of the nation's leading propagandists for the Iraq War and a vigorous supporter of all of Israel's wars, has a column today in The New York Times explaining and praising the Israeli attack on Gaza. For the sake of robust and diverse debate (for which our Liberal Media is so well known), Friedman's column today appears alongside an Op-Ed from The Atlantic's Jeffrey Goldberg, one of the nation's leading (and most deceitful) propagandists for the Iraq War and a vigorous supporter of all of Israel's wars, who explains that Hamas is incorrigibly hateful and radical and cannot be negotiated with. One can hardly imagine a more compelling exhibit demonstrating the complete lack of accountability in the "journalism" profession --
Hey, Common-dreams.org: "Pot, meet Kettle"
This journalistic source is doing your intellect no favors, Marko, and it has even less claim to credibility than Fox News, dude. I'm seriously concerned that your personal opinions are becoming less resistant to confirmation bias (only seeing what reinforces what you wish to believe). I know, I know, I hear ya saying "Pot, meet kettle" but the stuff that I read rarely has the kind of editorial arrogance that I see routinely in Common-dreams.org (the stuff I write is another matter; I'm not foisting myself off as a journalist, just as the world's most supreme intellect that you're foolish not to listen to).

I don't know much about Friedman, but I sure as hell know about Goldberg, and he's a sane person who criticizes Israel when they merit it (and has a history you can check on that, particularly over at The Atlantic).

The far left's inability to be circumspect about disagreement is going to do as much damage to a segment of the population as does the religious right...

Come back, Marko, come back! (i'd like to insert the scene from Titanic where Rose whistles for the rescue boat to come back, but I can't do YouTube from work).
Old 01-15-2009   #7

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Quote:
isreal doesnt just bomb UN buildings for the hell of it.
lets think about the definition and whats happening and look for differences
No, apparently Israel bombs UN compounds full of people & desperately needed supplies when they "think" there are terrorists sheltering there. Oopsy. But since they are not a "subnational group" this oops can't be considered an act of terrorism. How about an act of supreme douchebaggery? Heartless stupidity? Tragic absurdity? Par for the course?
Old 01-15-2009   #8

Bozeman, Montana
WRONG, NOT sheltering of terrorist but firing rockets from the compund theres a big difference.

im glad the one called helio understands.

how do they know where to attack if rockets aren't fired first, good question.

"lets try this building, no lets try this one""i bet if we fire on this one we will hit some militants" wrong

btw one of the top 5 leaders for the Hamas Organization has died this last week from rocket attacks thanks to isreal.
Old 01-15-2009   #9

Denver, Colorado
Give me a break... the article makes a great point and calls Friedman out. That's it... you simply had another knee-jerk reaction because, God forbid anybody criticizes the precious little nation of Israel.

At any rate... I always enjoy are little buzz encounters...

Take care.
Old 01-15-2009   #10

Bozeman, Montana
marko you're so left your are backwards