Theological "wisdom" of Sarah Palin - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > The Eddy

Old 09-08-2008   #1

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Theological "wisdom" of Sarah Palin

According to America's Favorite Hockey Mom, God supports the war in Iraq and the construction of a natural gas pipeline from Alaska thru Canada.
• "Our national leaders are sending [U.S. soldiers] out on a task that is from God.”
• “I think God’s will has to be done in unifying people and companies to get that gas line built, so pray for that.”

Wow. I couldn't make this crap up if I tried. Does Palin have a direct line to God like President Shrub?

DurangoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2008   #2

Denver, Colorado
Here is the full list of accomplishments...

Think Progress » The Sarah Palin Digest

My favorite part: Cut taxes while leaving Wassila $20 million in debt. When she started the town had no debt. Palin is more like Bush than McSame!

-d
Old 09-08-2008   #3
gh

pnw, Colorado
Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

nother log on the fire.
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2008   #4

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Senator McSame ol' Shit

"We're going to work for you and we're going to drain the swamp in Washington, DC," McCain told a rally in Lee's Summit, Missouri.

Yeah, "swamp-drainers" like the lobbyists running his campaign:
• Campaign CEO Rick Davis
• National eCampaign Director Christian Ferry
• Washington Sen. Slade Gorton
• ex-Texas Representative Tom Loeffler
• David Crane

"Senator Straight Talk"? "Senator Maverick"

Senator McSame ol' Shit
DurangoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008   #5

Duhrango
Hey don't forget that when the Rapture comes, the place for believers to be is Alaska. That's God's will too.
Old 09-08-2008   #6
Self-Aggrandizing jackass

The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
You guys need to draw your line of rationality MUCH closer to the bone. Either you believe in magic or you don't. If you do, either you respect other people's differing opinions, or you don't.

If I find someone who believes in magic at all, and who thinks I need to be converted to their rationality in order to save me, that's the end of the line. There's no point in harboring outrage at anything beyond that point.

Who the fuck am I to argue the irrationality of David Koresh believing he's the reincarnate Christ or the Dalai fuckin Lama being the 47th whatever the fuck he is, or the Earth being 5,000 years old, or sex being evil unless it's performed through a hole in a sheet you lay down between you?

I quote the Lord Humungus: "Just walk away!"
Old 09-09-2008   #7

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I thought the place to be when the rapture comes was a bottomless pit near Death Valley.Just ask the 5th Beatle , Charlie Manson.

Helio, It is irrational to be rational in a world of absurdity,you will go insane trust me
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008   #8

The Ranch, Colorado
The universe is only absurd when human values are projected onto it. It is vanity to do so.
Old 09-09-2008   #9
Kjirsten

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Helio, I could walk away from the idea that we were sent by God to war in Iraq- the idea of holy wars is not new and is somewhat justifiable by any theological text, but to say that God wants a gas pipeline built seems ridiculous, even by religious standards.

-And the LORD God took the man, and put him into the garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it. Genesis 1

And all these apparently:
Genesis 2:2-3 - God rested
Psalm 118:24 - The Lord's Day
Ecclesiastes 3:1 - A time for everything
Matthew 25:15-30 - Parable of Talents
Luke 12:15 - Abundance
Matthew 6:20 - Treasures in heaven
Matthew 10:8 - Freely given, freely give
I Kings 17:1-16 - Widow of Zarephath
Genesis 1: 31 - Creation is Good
Genesis 2:15-20 - Adam as steward
Psalm 104 - Creation Psalm
Matthew 6:25-34 - Lilies of the Field
Matthew 19:16-22 - Love neighbor
Luke 19:1-10 - Zaccheus
Mark 12:41-44 - Widow's Mite
Luke 10:30-37 - Good Samaritan
John 6:1-14 - Feeding 5000
Luke 15:11-32 - Forgiving Father
Leviticus 27:30-32 -Tithing
Deuteronomy 16:17 - Give as blessed
Matthew 6:31-34 - First things first
Matthew 22:34-30 - 2 commandments
Mark 10:17-25 - Riches
Luke 16 - Faithful stewardship
Luke 18:9-14 - Pharisee A tax collector
Romans 12:1 - Offer yourself to God
I Corinthians 16:1- 2 - Money to help
II Corinthians 5:16- 6:2 - Work together
II Corinthians 8:1-12 - Generosity
II Corinthians 9:6-15 - Generosity
Ephesians 2:1-10 - Created for good work
I Peter 1:3-5 - Born anew
I Peter 2:9-10 - God's own people
I John 4:13-21 - We love because of God's love for us

I am not Christian, so I don't know how closely climate issues and renewable energy sources are truly related to these scriptures, but these are the scriptures Christians are using to justify the need for protection of the Earth.

Does anyone know of a verse in the Bible, or any other theological text, that even implies God's will is to build a gas pipeline for our benefit to the detriment of the environment?
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008   #10

The Ranch, Colorado
When dealing with Christians, remember that any of them that cite the Old Testament are practicing a certain hypocrisy. The Old Testament is a Jewish book. Jesus rebelled against the Pharisees who ruled the Temple because of their greed (and prosperity and piety go hand in hand in the Old Testament with god's evidence of approval). Jesus was crucified because of his challenge to the Jewish oligarchy.

Jesus replaced the "Old T laws" (10 Commandments, et al) with the new T laws (love god with your whole being, and love your neighbor as yourself). St. Paul preached the end of the practice of circumcision because he argued that Christians were not "Jews first" and then a particular Christian subset, they were rejecting the practices of the Jews outright. And yet, 2000 years later, Christians are claiming that the Old Testament is a covenenant by which they must live.

Jesus himself is credited with saying "Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's" which is a reference to separating the practice of politics from the practice of religion (in that order). That any Christian can justify a political movement based on their religion speaks immediately to their lack of understanding of it.