BBC News | EUROPE | Business booms at Swiss heroin clinic

Right wingers: pontificate.

Demosthenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2009   #2

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
demo its not legalized in switerland. its a legalized heroin treatment program to get them off of heroin. its not legal just to get at any liquor store
"The figures are poor for those who leave the scheme and become drug free," he says.
"Some addicts have been there now seven years already; it's a good way for them to get cheap heroin and it solves nothing." " from your article, and article is from 2001

demo do you have stats that show the program is working and not just supporting the heroin addicts habbit. and also the programm includes 1,300 selected addicts. what about the rest. im sure they are still using and selling.http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/1..._n_147245.html

another thing if addicted heroin addicts are not "criminals" why is 600,000 people in Switzerland treated as criminals because they use cannabis?
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009   #3

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
They are not in denial

I agree, they are tackling the problem head on, and some are benefiting! This surely beats an increase in the US prison population.. that claim to rehabilitate, but really increase the odds at repeat offending. I dont know if there is a right answer to curing addicts of heroin, but without exploration the problem shall remain..
Kendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2009   #4

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Mike, the point of legalization is damage mitigation. Its not to prevent people using, because that is going to happen anyway. Supplying heroin for these addicts lets them be productive members of society, not just the sort homeless junkies that you fear. Anyway, how would it make more sense to lock these people up in prison for years at a time instead of letting them use responsibly? I bet the per-day government cost is less for the legalization program. Also my belief is that just the reduction in HIV infection rates and overdoses rates justifys the cost of the program.
Old 02-05-2009   #5

Bozeman, Montana
My questoin what does giving heroin to an addict do besides make it easier?

the good thing about prison, they have the ability to sober up, which a heroin treatment center doesn't offer. mind altering substances......which heroin is; doesn't allow somebody to think as they would not on the drug.
Old 02-05-2009   #6

Bozeman, Montana
damage mitigation? people on heroin are productive members of society? name a couple please? i think it would be a good thing to have a couple more members of society on heroin than more people would realize why hard drugs are illegal.

about hiv infections. is it their fault they are addicted. yes.. is it there fault they put the needle in their arm.. yes... could they seek help prior to the events yes... did they have to put the needle in their arm... no....

self responsiblity is a hard thing for some to understand demo. i would like to see stats otherwise their is zero proof a program like this works to help addicted heroin addicts become non drug users..
Old 02-05-2009   #7

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Casper, when an addict is not scrambling every moment of his day to find his next fix, he can concentrate on something else. The inability of addicts to function in society is not the drug itself as much as the addiction. It is such an addicting substance that people's entire existence becomes finding the stuff they need to get high. If you read the article, there are several examples of people's lives that have improved because of the program. I certainly wouldn't want somebody whose just shot up flying my next plane flight, but I wouldn't mind him cleaning floors or working in a factory.
Old 02-05-2009   #8

Bozeman, Montana
wrong watch the episode of dr drew were the police come and get the heroin addict while hes fucked up because he's disfunctional. he can't find his bedroom in a rehab facility cause he was so high he wouldn't go up the stairs. he started liying saying im not on heroin and its obvious. the dude couldn't walk straight or even stand up(simple task) continuously. they think they are normal on heroin but they are far from it. what about people driving on heroin? ohh wait they can't find their keys and if they do they can't make it to the vehicle.

stats .....

cleaning floors because hes a heroin addict when they could possible to a dr or scientist who developes a cure for aids.
we are only making it easier on their addictions not solving their addictions. if somebody can't stand up how the fuck will they sweep a floor and do they get heroin breaks at work when they need a fix or do they become like you said worthless because they need the drug? seriously think it through a alot harder.

kinda like 900 billion stimulus. its not fixing the problems just temporary fix. its the same reason the last stimulus inacted by democrates didn't do shit.
Old 02-05-2009   #9

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
on the basic, part of the human condition is learning, I dont think any heroin addict set out to be addicted, this way of thought" they caused their own demise"(while true), doesnt really help to look for a solution... sending them to prison whilst temporaily takes them off heroin, resets them to offend in many other ways, we have tried the other way- prison and its proven to get worse, we need to explore a more positive direction. The true fact is that there are already many functional addicts out there doing many jobs, atleast they may be able to support their families who are also the victims. Prison means the rest of us have to now support the family and yes the addict too.
Kendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009   #10

Bozeman, Montana
kendo. would it be better to have a junky take the family money or be in jail letting the kids eat food instead of him getting high...
reminds me of a true story at walmart this last week

young couple african american male and white girl with 3 little kids.. well to make a short story short at the check out while using government money(card). he bought the kids mac and cheeese and bought himself a new ps3 games and a new labtop.. the kids had ratty cloths.

does leaving the dad really help solve problems?