The Spirit of Revolt - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-31-2009   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
The Spirit of Revolt

Just thought I would share a beautiful piece of literature. Do what you want with its message. And, yes, the author was an anarchist... don't let the superficial definition scare you; let it lead you to a truthful understanding of this philosophy.

"Both the intelligent man and the ignorant mass judge not from a thorough knowledge of [anarchism], but either from hearsay or false interpretation." -Emma Goldman

Quote:
The Spirit of Revolt, 1880

Peter Kropotkin

There are periods in the life of human society when revolution becomes an imperative necessity, when it proclaims itself as inevitable. New ideas germinate everywhere, seeking to force their way into the light, to find an application in life; everywhere they are opposed by the inertia of those whose interest it is to maintain the old order; they suffocate in the stifling atmosphere of prejudice and traditions. The accepted ideas of the constitution of the State, of the laws of social equilibrium, of the political and economic interrelations of citizens, can hold out no longer against the implacable criticism which is daily undermining them whenever occasion arises,--in drawing room as in cabaret, in the writings of philosophers as in daily conversation. Political, economic, and social institutions are crumbling; the social structure, having become uninhabitable, is hindering, even preventing the development of the seeds which are being propagated within its damaged walls and being brought forth around them.
-
The need for a new life becomes apparent. The code of established morality, that which governs the greater number of people in their daily life, no longer seems sufficient. What formerly seemed just is now felt to be a crying injustice. The morality of yesterday is today recognized as revolting immorality. The conflict between new ideas and old traditions flames up in every class of society, in every possible environment, in the very bosom of the family. The son struggles against his father, he finds revolting what his father has all his life found natural; the daughter rebels against the principles which her mother has handed down to her as the result of long experience. Daily, the popular conscience rises up against the scandals which breed amidst the privileged and the leisured, against the crimes committed in the name of the law of the stronger, or in order to maintain these privileges. Those who long for the triumph of justice, those who would put new ideas into practice, are soon forced to recognize that the realization of their generous, humanitarian and regenerating ideas cannot take place in a society thus constituted; they perceive the necessity of a revolutionary whirlwind which will sweep away all this rottenness, revive sluggish hearts with its breath, and bring to mankind that spirit of devotion, self-denial, and heroism, without which society sinks through degradation and vileness into complete disintegration.
-
In periods of frenzied haste toward wealth, of feverish speculation and of crisis, of the sudden downfall of great industries and the ephemeral expansion of other branches of production, of scandalous fortunes amassed in a few years and dissipated as quickly, it becomes evident that the economic institutions which control production and exchange are far from giving to society the prosperity which they are supposed to guarantee; they produce precisely the opposite result. Instead of order they bring forth chaos; instead of prosperity, poverty and insecurity; instead of reconciled interests, war; a perpetual war of the exploiter against the worker, of exploiters and of workers among themselves. Human society is seen to be splitting more and more into two hostile camps, and at the same time to be subdividing into thousands of small groups waging merciless war against each other. Weary of these wars, weary of the miseries which they cause, society rushes to seek a new organization; it clamors loudly for a complete remodeling of the system of property ownership, of production, of exchange and all economic relations which spring from it.
-
The machinery of government, entrusted with the maintenance of the existing order, continues to function, but at every turn of its deteriorated gears it slips and stops. Its working becomes more and more difficult, and the dissatisfaction caused by its defects grows continuously. Every day gives rise to a new demand. "Reform this," "reform that," is heard from all sides. "War, finance, taxes, courts. police, everything must be remodeled, reorganized, established on a new basis," say the reformers. And yet all know that it is impossible to make things over, to remodel anything at all because everything is interrelated; everything would have to be remade at once; and how can society be remodeled when it is divided into two openly hostile camps? To satisfy the discontented would be only to create new malcontents.
-
Incapable of undertaking reforms, since this would mean paving the way for revolution, and at the same time too impotent to be frankly reactionary, the governing bodies apply themselves to halfmeasures which can satisfy nobody, and only cause new dissatisfaction. The mediocrities who, in such transition periods, undertake to steer the ship of State, think of but one thing: to enrich themselves against the coming débâcle. Attacked from all sides they defend themselves awkwardly, they evade, they commit blunder upon blunder, and they soon succeed in cutting the last rope of salvation; they drown the prestige of the government in ridicule, caused by their own incapacity.
-
Such periods demand revolution. It becomes a social necessity; the situation itself is revolutionary.
The essay continues, but didn't want to overload the allotted words allowed. If people are interested I can post a second part, or read the rest here

--

marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2009   #2

Bozeman, Montana
great writing. he had some good points. i don't know what to do other than what im already trying to figure out what to do...confusing. how do you send a message to the world using a technique which lazy people would understand quickly and clearly?

besides Utube.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009   #3

timbuktu, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves. – Edward R. Murrow

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. – Plato

For those of you who bashed my thoughts of "bailing out", once liberty is gone... here's what one old boy had to say on the topic...

Where Liberty dwells, there is my country. – Benjamin Franklin
yarmonymatoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2009   #4

Bozeman, Montana
i love franklin smart smart man he can say alot with little.

Word of the day. Liberty. and a good use of the word in todays world.
the US Constitution

"We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."

notice posterity(future generations) in that specific line. This is exactly how the current Adminstration is breaking the constitution. by slaving away future generations so AIG can get their bonus.

time for true change lets revolt.
Old 03-31-2009   #5

Little Village, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
This is exactly how the current Adminstration is breaking the constitution. by slaving away future generations so AIG can get their bonus.
Didn't do your homework, I see. Your revolt against knowledge is complete. Impressive.
Old 03-31-2009   #6

Bozeman, Montana
rip grow up. did you even read what the topic is about? revolting is all about liberty(freedom to do what you please). go ahead post something relevent to the discussion for once, troll.

also this is a true fact. AIG did get a bailout which some of the money went to Bonus's. its a fact do your homework and try and get away from the lefty media you constatly watch.
Old 03-31-2009   #7

Little Village, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Revolting. Yes, indeed.
Old 03-31-2009   #8

Bozeman, Montana
rip, are you lost?

great topic marko.

i like how it was written in the 1880s and damn near holds true this day.

when we are fighting amonst are selves they are not the enemy.
Old 03-31-2009   #9
Kjirsten

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
I have long been a proponent of anarchism (Goldman's definition, not Webster's) even as I see the impracticality of it in any large society. I have often quoted the same founding fathers in defending the people's right to revolt. For the first time in 8 years, I don't feel like we need a revolution just now- not that we won't again soon, but that I'm ready to wait and see what happens again. It's just interesting that as the power changes hands, we can use the same points to argue opposite sides. It tells me that the vision we want is more symbiotic than we think.
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009   #10

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakemetotheRiver View Post
I have long been a proponent of anarchism (Goldman's definition, not Webster's) even as I see the impracticality of it in any large society. I have often quoted the same founding fathers in defending the people's right to revolt. For the first time in 8 years, I don't feel like we need a revolution just now- not that we won't again soon, but that I'm ready to wait and see what happens again. It's just interesting that as the power changes hands, we can use the same points to argue opposite sides. It tells me that the vision we want is more symbiotic than we think.
I only have one question to ask you:

If in 4 years from now nothing has changed and America is still riding down the same political/economic road we have been traveling on since the 1970's -and which has accelerated at an insane pace during the past 8 years - (ie: endless wars, insane military spending, an oligarchy which controls the economy and the political arena, deterioration of social safety nets, less funding for education) .... will your spirit of revolt return?

Quote:
Time and time again the people were foolish enough to trust, believe, and support with their last farthing aspiring politicians, only to find themselves betrayed and cheated. It may be claimed that men of integrity would not become corrupt in the political grinding mill. Perhaps not; but such men would be absolutely helpless to exert the slightest influence in behalf of labor, as indeed has been shown in numerous instances. The State is the economic master of its servants. Good men, if such there be, would either remain true to their political faith and lose their economic support, or they would cling to their economic master and be utterly unable to do the slightest good. The political arena leaves one no alternative, one must either be a dunce or a rogue.
The political superstition is still holding sway over the hearts and minds of the masses, but the true lovers of liberty will have no more to do with it. ---Emma Goldman
One other thing... I don't think power has changed hands; it was only given a new face. Of course, I could be wrong.
marko is offline   Reply With Quote