The left run club - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > The Eddy

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
The left run club

So I have this crazy idea, and yes, most of mine are crazy.
I’ve never gone left in a number of rapids. Crystal, upset, Lava, to name a few. I’ve done the left run in Granite, Hance, Horn, Hermit, but those are really just the sneaks.
I need to go run the the meatier stuff, or trickier lines, on the left, that aren’t necessarily where most people would go. And not just the Grand, but other runs.

It seems like a fun goal to me, ( at least after sleeping 2 hours last night, feeding mosquitoes on a commercial upper c overnight), one that might land my ass upside down, or just plain surfing the shit out of something, but for some reason it sounds like a fun white water project...

Where can you go left, on a major rapid, that is not the normal run, on any river, who’s in??

Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2
in dry dock

Glenwoody, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
You could run left at big drop III at about 80K CFS in Cat, but I wouldn't recommend it

Left run at bowling alley in WW at 3500 CFS

I have been left at bedrock chasing duckies and swimmers, that was a hell of a ride
noahfecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
You can run left through Tombstone in Shoshone on the Colorado. Tis a fun slot!
powrider686 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #4

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt man View Post
Where can you go left, on a major rapid, that is not the normal run, on any river, who’s in??

Lochsa:
Triple Hole
Killer Fang

Lochsa Falls (done the far left sneak, haven't gone through the munchy hole on mid-left)
Grim Reaper

Pinball

Main Salmon:
over the rock/through the hole in Big Mallard

I'm in!
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #5

Fraser, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
Lochsa:
Triple Hole
Killer Fang

Lochsa Falls (done the far left sneak, haven't gone through the munchy hole on mid-left)
Grim Reaper

Pinball

Main Salmon:
over the rock/through the hole in Big Mallard

I'm in!
Ya Buddy!

Have to make it up to the Lochsa now!!
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #6

Fraser, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahfecks View Post
You could run left at big drop III at about 80K CFS in Cat, but I wouldn't recommend it

Left run at bowling alley in WW at 3500 CFS

I have been left at bedrock chasing duckies and swimmers, that was a hell of a ride
Uhhhh, Cat at 80,000. I think I need to go take a shit now!

Gonna be boat scouting the left run in Bowling alley next time!

I can’t help but look up at that left run in Bedrock every time, I really want to give it a shot, without to much group gear to risk, but that dam line keeps stairing at me, want to give it a go.
Bet that was one hell of a ride buddy!!
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #7

Fraser, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by powrider686 View Post
You can run left through Tombstone in Shoshone on the Colorado. Tis a fun slot!
God I need to get back down to Sho Sho!
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #8

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt man View Post
I can’t help but look up at that left run in Bedrock every time, I really want to give it a shot, without to much group gear to risk, but that dam line keeps stairing at me, want to give it a go.
Bet that was one hell of a ride buddy!!
That's why I love the Lochsa for stupid human tricks. Light, slick boat. Worst I've lost is a paddle.

Taking spicy lines on a multiday gives me the heebie-jeebies and raises the commitment level exponentially!
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #9

Boise, ID
Paddling Since: '99
Tried to think of middle or right runs that will go on the left that we've done.

Multi-days...

Velvet Falls, MFS high water.
Wild Burro, Bruneau, left of the island highwater.
Ranie Falls, Rogue.
Blacks Creek, Main Salmon. Puts you through a hole then a big wave. Standard is left work middle. Saw a buddy hit too far left in Chittam. Wasn't pretty but he made it.
Double Drop and No Slouch both have left lines. Had to run the left on No Slouch to catch some swimmers. Decent sized hole that will go.

Days...

Pair-a-dice, Murtaugh
Steepness, Nutcracker, Hounds Tooth, NF Payette
Dog Leg, Staircase, Slalom, SF Payette
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rainie.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	211.3 KB
ID:	37977  
Conundrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #10

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
On the original Grand Canyon theme...

To run 'left' implies a totally different right run exists, not just a sneak. Bedrock, Lava, Upset, Horn, and Hance (but the right line would be the 'other' line in it's case), all have great lines down both sides (Ya I may have skipped a few). Many have discussed the attributes of both, and most would agree that all are good either way except Bedrock.

I do not see a left or right alternate in Hermit or Granite other than what would be considered sneaks, to not run those right down the tongue would be counter intuitive to the question. I consider the right run at Crystal a sneak, but just 'running the tongue' would be an oversimplfication.

But Bedrock?

I say there is a clean line to the left of the rock. Hug the rock on the far right and don't get caught in the left side eddy above the drop, it really sucks to be in there and can consume a lot of energy to get out of. Think Room of Doom but long and skinny. 2 Boats in there is another story. Seldom will people report problems in Bedrock above the drop.

The problems start after the drop where the combo of wave and current take the unwary boater directly into a feature on the Bedrock with pins or flips being common, along with the occasional lucky soul who it just lets go.

The wary boater intentionally running left at Bedrock will address both issues and stay out of the left Eddy above the drop and stay off the wall on the right after the drop.
DoStep is offline   Reply With Quote