The GOP "big tent" just got SMALLER - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > The Eddy

Old 10-27-2008   #1

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
The GOP "big tent" just got SMALLER

For quite some time now, the GOP has touted its "big tent" inclusiveness. Looks like that's slipping away...

Quote:
Jim Nuzzo, a White House aide to the first President Bush, dismissed Mrs Palin's critics as "cocktail party conservatives" who "give aid and comfort to the enemy".

He told The Sunday Telegraph: "There's going to be a bloodbath. A lot of people are going to be excommunicated. David Brooks and David Frum and Peggy Noonan are dead people in the Republican Party. The litmus test will be: where did you stand on Palin?"
He said: "Win or lose, there is a ready made conservative candidate waiting in the wings. Sarah Palin is not the new Iain Duncan Smith, she is the new Ronald Reagan."
It's official: the inmates have taken over the asylum.

DurangoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2008   #2

the fort, Colorado
interestingly, in a recent poll for the 2012 GOP contender for the white house, assuming Obama holds on, she polled 3rd out of the ones listed - behind romney and huckabee. the survey didn't say if there were others behind her.

one thing is for sure - the GOP better work on its "branding package" over the next 4 years, because the sweeping changes that are probable to occur in the house, the smaller ones in the senate, and more importantly in the white house are going to set them back for a long time. hopefully they won't realize and will continue to peddle the same snake oil for a long time to come.....
Old 10-27-2008   #3

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
she is the new Ronald Reagan
Except that "Failin Palin's" even dumber.

Jeeez. If that's the new litmus test, they may as well start calling themselves the "Theocratic Monachry Party" because that's what it amounts to. They've just ceded the middle 20% of the electorate to the Dems.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2008   #4
Self-Aggrandizing jackass

The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
They just ceded the vast majority of people who turned 18 between 2004 and now to the dems. Among the young, the GOP is viewed very unfavorably, and the GOP is not doing anything this cycle to change that. Rove will go down in history as the most important contributor to the Democrat majority that will last for likely the next 20 years.

The GOP is dead. What happens now depends on what litmus tests exist. If the party decides to keep denying reality, its decent into irrelevence will be even worse.

Frankly, as an ex-patriate of the party, this is exactly what it needs to recover the kind of policy objectives that characterized it in the 80s and 60s.
Old 10-28-2008   #5

Durango, Colorado
I think a lot of us would love to see a centrist third party emerge to give the majors a serious challenge. The "litmus test" that Nuzzo describes could be a powerful catalyst.
Old 10-28-2008   #6

the fort, Colorado
i strongly encouraged my mom and stepfather to vote 3rd party. they live in arkansas, and mccain has that one locked up, so if they vote for nader or barr or whomever, it helps the 3rd party cause nationally.
Old 10-28-2008   #7

San Juans, Colorado
third party

It sure seems like this election could prove serious thought into a two party system, likely republicans splitting. Lots of internal problems in the party.

Regardless of the outcome Palin's largest contribution to our country may be getting her party to split.

I am not extemely knowledgable about campaign finance, but could a system with several powerful parties help curb corruption and kickbacks? -- Instead of finger pointing between two parties maybe more competition would result in elections where we dont feel sick after picking from 2 horrible candidates. Or would this prove a ripe ground for even more special interests due to being able to support multiple parties and play the court?

Scott
dgosn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008   #8
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
140 years ago the Republicans were the third party. Who can name the first Republican President?
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008   #9

Durango, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randaddy View Post
140 years ago the Republicans were the third party. Who can name the first Republican President?
Reagan?
Old 10-28-2008   #10
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Hah!

Here's a hint: He had a beard and hated rednecks. And no, it wasn't me!
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote