The conservative ethics hypocrisy - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > The Eddy

Old 12-20-2008   #1

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
The conservative ethics hypocrisy

As many of you are likely aware, conservatives in the United States have, in the last decade and a half have hijacked national religion as a political tool, billing the religious right as the political movement of family values. In reality, the religious right is comprised of a group of modern day pharisees. First of all, as mentioned in one of my earlier posts today, the bible belts states lead the nation in homicide rates. Second, the also lead the nation in divorce rates (Bible Belt Leads U.S. In Divorces | National Center for Policy Analysis). Additionally, these states voted overwhelmingly, twice, for a president who began an unneccesary war and hired mercenaries to fight it. Killing for your country is occasionally, in the right context, patriotism. Killing for money is murder, plain and simple. Reconciling this action with a "pro-life" attitude is absurd. Especially since the introduction of abortion has been hypothesized to have eventually had an effect with the end of the 1980s crime wave. Need I mention abstinence only sex education? It has represented an absolute failure, as evidenced by no net reduction in teenage pregnancy rates and an actual increase in STD infection rates (Five Years of Abstinence-Only-Until-Marriage Education: Assessing the Impact). Just ask Bristol Palin (whose boyfriend's mother was just arrested for dealing cocaine). How about soliciting sex in a men's bathroom in Minneapolis St. Paul? or smoking methamphetamine with gay prostitutes? I am of a resolute mind that you should try everything at least once, but the absurdity of both those situations should be at the very leasdt obvious.

Demosthenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2008   #2

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Steve, I am starting to covet your wife

Mrs. Durango,great posts but good luck breaking through the wall of denial.

In defense of Larry Craig ,how many times does he have to say it,he's a wide fellow with a wide stance,thats all.I heard that Haggard guy was ' cured'.
cayo 2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008   #3

Durango, Colorado
All I'm asking of the right in the United States is that in making policy they move from the empirical to the scientific. Maybe this approach might have kept us out from electing as president a former prep-school cheerleader who now acts like a cowboy, expecting him to keep us safe and to maintain our country's prosperity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2008   #4

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Kicking ass and taking no prisoners... that's my little honey bun!

Cayo, coveting thy fellow boater's simulated wife is, uh, a see-in. And the wages of see-in are like a buck twenty five... unless, of course, yer Bernie Made-off-with-the-dough.
Old 12-20-2008   #5
Kjirsten

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Steve, do you know who the imposter is? Maybe we should start a poll... I have theories...
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008   #6

Durango, Colorado
TMTTR, I have my theories as well. I gotta say, the simulated Ms. DurangoSteve does some pretty impressive research to back up her positions. I hope "she" keeps up the great posts! This could be almost as entertaining as the "'Bout lost my life yesterday" thread... without the turkey legs and canned Schlitz references.
Old 12-21-2008   #7

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Ok So i am confused.... Is this really the wife of Durango Steve?

Anyway I will chime in on something I have found interesting about the hypocricy of conservatives....

Why is it that one of the biggest issues of the republican party is abortion? I kind of thought that republicans generally would want less regulation or atleast allow the regulation to belong within the individual states?

I read somewhere that before roe v wade that religion did not have as strong of a voice in politics. So when this became an issue the GOP hopped onto it.

just a thought.

rodda
benrodda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008   #8

Durango, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by benrodda View Post
Ok So i am confused.... Is this really the wife of Durango Steve?

Anyway I will chime in on something I have found interesting about the hypocricy of conservatives....

Why is it that one of the biggest issues of the republican party is abortion? I kind of thought that republicans generally would want less regulation or atleast allow the regulation to belong within the individual states?

I read somewhere that before roe v wade that religion did not have as strong of a voice in politics. So when this became an issue the GOP hopped onto it.

just a thought.

rodda
In a word...no. Interestingly, the simulated wife has views similar to the real deal!

I agree with you about the Roe v Wade issue. The "classic era" GOP was about individual liberties and small govt. First came the Civil Rights Act and the Voting Rights Act and the Dixiecrats bailed en masse on LBJ and the Dems. Amongst them were some pretty hard fundies. Along came the Roe v Wade decision and they were galvanized. Enter, Reagan. His calculated overtures to the religious righties ushered in the era of "culture wars" that lives on to this day.
Old 12-21-2008   #9
Kjirsten

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Yeah, Steve, as I read the Big Thanks thread it really hit home that the boating season is officially over.

As far as the abortion issue: in politics, in ideology, and in their homes, the religious right feel a sense of entitlement and self-righteousness that allows them to separate themselves from the rest of Americans. Though it may have become more apparent during the 60's when more people began shunning traditional Christian religions, it has always been the same in America. The biggest argument of the RR is that the founding fathers, despite clearly writing the first amendment, were really all Christian, thereby establishing the US as an inherently Christian country. To them- the rest of us just don't count any more than non-Puritan settlers did in the beginning.

So, by adhering to this falsehood as tightly as they do their misguided faith, they justify why they have the right to less government when it suits their needs while at the same time asking for regulation for the rest of the godless masses who just don't know any better and need to have their heathen souls saved in spite of themselves.

See, all versions of the bible and all Christian religions cultivate the idea that They are better than Us. Even good people who are Christian believe their reward will be and should be greater. They are not necessarily to blame for this, but it shouldn't be hard to see why they would want to extend that entitlement to this lifetime as well. After all, heaven is a long ways away.

This is not a dig at all Christians, but at a fundamentalist mindset that is at the least unfounded, and at the worst, very dangerous.

I guess I'm suffering from low water blues as well- ahh well, Mexico is calling...
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008   #10

Durango, Colorado
I prefer not to doubt people's ideology as much as hold them to the standard they set for themselves. The religous right appears to value the right things, family, community and life. While I may disagree with them on some issues regarding life, the ideological priorities are right. However, when held to the standard they set for themselves, they fail utterly and completely.

Also, isn't it strange that Massachusetts, the center of the gay marraige universe, has the lowest divorce rate in the country?