Texas school district to let teachers carry guns - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > The Eddy

Old 08-15-2008   #1

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Texas school district to let teachers carry guns

Quote:
HOUSTON (Reuters) - A Texas school district will let teachers bring guns to class this fall, the district's superintendent said on Friday, in what experts said appeared to be a first in the United States.
The board of the small rural Harrold Independent School District unanimously approved the plan and parents have not objected, said the district's superintendent, David Thweatt.
School experts backed Thweatt's claim that Harrold, a system of about 110 students 150 miles northwest of Fort Worth, may be the first to let teachers bring guns to the classroom.
Thweatt said it is a matter of safety.
Hmm, so teachers should carry guns for safety reasons. Then students should carry them to protect themselves from crazed teachers. And Principals should carry them to protect themselves from crazed students. And the janitors should have armored personnel carriers 'cause the whole fucking school is armed.

DurangoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2008   #2
gh

pnw, Colorado
an armed society is a polite society
Old 08-15-2008   #3
Kayak/SUP Instructor

The High Ground, Colorado
Shall not be infringed....
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2008   #4

Durango, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by gh View Post
an armed society is a polite society
"May I mortally wound you?"

"You may certainly try, but I believe I drew first."

"Au contraire, my Glock-wielding foe!"

BLAM!

"Pardon my body fluids, I seem to be leaking."
Old 08-15-2008   #5

Durango, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophilus View Post
Shall not be infringed....
"Nothing in our opinion should be taken to cast doubt on long-standing prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, or laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in sensitive places, such as schools and government buildings," Scalia wrote. The majority opinion also said that prohibitions on carrying concealed or dangerous and unusual weapons, such as machine guns, were not in doubt.

Sounds like "infringement" to me...
Old 08-17-2008   #6

ann arbor, Michigan
Paddling Since: 2008
finally some sense its doubtfull a student would risk his/her "plan" being broken up by an armed faculty member hense they would just skip the plan and go ahead bash away i carry every day all the time often even in my boat although it will happen less often now that im getting into whitewater it is our right and if you check the facts you will find every state that repealed their concealed carry laws saw a rise in crime every country that disarmed their civilians saw a rise in crime and most (yes i agree not all) major gun crimes happen in "gun free zones" you can put up all the no pistol signs you like either criminals dont care or cant read they are plnning on breaking the law anyway and if you look you will find also every state that implimented a new carry law concealed or otherwise allowing more morally responsible citizens to carry saw a drop in violent crime within two years
helix149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008   #7
Kjirsten

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
My support of the 2nd amendment notwithstanding, as a teacher, I have to say that teachers who are afraid of their students should not be teaching.
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008   #8

Durango, Colorado
You "carry" in your boat? Uhm, have you sought treatment for your paranoia? Suggestion: learn how to structure sentences and how to use punctuation and you might find someone taking your posts seriously.

Or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by helix149 View Post
finally some sense its doubtfull a student would risk his/her "plan" being broken up by an armed faculty member hense they would just skip the plan and go ahead bash away i carry every day all the time often even in my boat although it will happen less often now that im getting into whitewater it is our right and if you check the facts you will find every state that repealed their concealed carry laws saw a rise in crime every country that disarmed their civilians saw a rise in crime and most (yes i agree not all) major gun crimes happen in "gun free zones" you can put up all the no pistol signs you like either criminals dont care or cant read they are plnning on breaking the law anyway and if you look you will find also every state that implimented a new carry law concealed or otherwise allowing more morally responsible citizens to carry saw a drop in violent crime within two years
Old 08-18-2008   #9
V for Victory

9300ft, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Send a message via AIM to SummitAP
Boating and skiing are the times in my life when I feel that it is least likely I would have to protect myself from others.

That said, if nobody in that community has a problem with this, why should you?
Old 08-18-2008   #10

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
Come on, doesn't everyone know that Texas is a state full of murderers, rapists and all around evil doers? How else do you explain the higher per capita stats on crimes in general and the longest death roll list any where outside of third world countries with tyrants in charge.

I can see this as a problem. How many are going to have a handgun in their desks? How secure will they be or will some pissed off kid go looking for a gun and now will be able to find one in the school. If they are so concerned they should pay to have Police officers that are trained patrolling their schools.
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote