St. Ronald the Reagan - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-15-2009   #1

Little Village, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
St. Ronald the Reagan

John McCain has long touted his religious devotion to St. Ronald the Slayer of Bureaucrats. In a campaign ad, McCain even said that he took "inspiration" from St. Ron while he was held captive in the Hanoi Hilton. No word on whether or not the Godless Commies allowed McCain to wear his St. Ronald medallion throughout his captivity.*

At a recent nomination hearing for David Hayes for deputy secretary of Interior, the former Republican presidential candidate read aloud from an article that Hayes wrote in April 2006 which drew unfavorable comparisons between former President George W. Bush and Reagan.

So what was Hayes' outrageous blasphemy that so offended Mr. McCain's religious sensibilities? Read on...

"Like Ronald Reagan before him, President Bush has embraced the Western stereotype to the point of adopting some of its affectations--the boots, brush-clearing, and get-the-government-off-our-backs bravado."

The vulgarity! The unmitigated gall! Comparing a religious figure to a brainless buffoon! Reagan and Bush really were urban cowboys with a weird, but telegenic penchant for brush clearing that seemed to magically vaporize the same hour their presidencies ended. The Reagans headed for a fancy, supporter-built mansion in the L.A. hills while Bush abandoned Crawford for an exclusive (i.e. no blacks) district of Dallas.

Mythmaking is not the exclusive domain of the Republicans. The Dems have FDR, Kennedy and now Obama. In our increasingly secular society, many have chosen to replace their religious faith with cult-of-personality worship of politicos.

Nevermind that Reagan was a doddering old man who conveniently "forgot" his involvement in Iran/Contra. Come to think of it, given his later diagnosis, he actually may have forgotten. There's no question that St. Ron was loved by many, and worshipped by some. There's also no question that his fanciful notion of self-regulation, deregulation and no regulation laid the groundwork for our current economic collapse. But that inconvenient truth doesn't mesh well with myth and cult-like hero worship.

* Reagan was elected governor of California in November 1966 and took office the following January. He had never held public office before and had been a registered Democrat. If John McCain had been impressed by Ronald Reagan prior to 1967, it had to be from his acting, or his television commercials. Since McCain was shot down in October 1967, and had been on an aircraft carrier and in Asia for months before that day, it's unlikely he could have kept abreast of Gov. Reagan's new administration. In 1967 there were no TV or radio satellites; no cable TV; no wireless telephone communications and no Internet. And, why would McCain have any interest in what the Governor of California was doing in 1967 - whomever that Governor might be?

Advertisement

Old 03-15-2009   #2
Self-Aggrandizing jackass

The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
Not sure you remember the world of 1980 very well, but saying that Reagan 'laid the groundwork' for 'our current economic collapse' is far more disingenuous than I'm willing to allow. Nice grandstanding, though. Has the aura of plagiarized erudition about it (I doubt it's plagiarized, don't get me wrong).

Oh, and I used to be a Republican, and I'm sure I've impressed some democrats around here...
Old 03-16-2009   #3
V for Victory

9300ft, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Send a message via AIM to SummitAP
Pretty sure the current cluster can be blamed mostly on the Clinton and W admins with massive help from Sen. Dodd and friends with a health dose of blame on the irresponsibility of the populace and unethical lenders.
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2009   #4

Little Village, Colorado
Was my post "grandstanding"? Sure, I'll admit that, but I don't think there's any disagreement that Reagan was the godfather of deregulation in the modern GOP. The deregulation, self-regulation and lax regulation of our financial industries did lay the groundwork for this collapse. Phil Gramm was a Reagan acolyte, and his "Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act" broke down the post-depression barriers that separated banking, insurance and brokerage firms. Good old Bill Clinton happily embraced this extraordinarily bad legislation (as did many Dems). Then came the "Commodity Futures Modernization Act of 2000", another piece of radioactive crap from Dr. Phil (and again happily signed by Bill "I did not have sex with that Credit Default Swap" Clinton). The shaky foundation had been built, and they stacked a lot of cards on top of it.

Was Reagan directly responsible? Of course not. But he did inspire the deregulation frenzy that followed his administration. The results of that era of deregulation are now raining down upon us.
Old 03-16-2009   #5

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
wahhh.
rip where does job creation come from? poor people?
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009   #6

Little Village, Colorado
CasperMike, that was quite a red herring. What the heck does that have to do with the obvious role of deregulation in this economic crisis?
Old 03-16-2009   #7

Bozeman, Montana
your answer for more government regulation is the key?
Old 03-16-2009   #8

Little Village, Colorado
Credible economists recognize that deregulation of the financial industry played a huge role in this meltdown. So, in answer to your question, absolutely. The so-called "free market" approach, i.e. let the greedheads run amok, unchecked has failed us.
Old 03-16-2009   #9

Bozeman, Montana
so who do we check. i say stock dealers on Wall street, are the good criminals.
Old 03-16-2009   #10

Little Village, Colorado
1. Repeal Gramm-Leach-Bliley
2. Repeal Commodity Futures Modernization Act of 2000.
3. Place strict requirements on mortgage brokers.
4. Beef up the SEC.

These will help fix a lot of the problems.