Some other questions - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-24-2006   #1

Some other questions

Today I was at the bulington coat factory buying some ski pants, by the way i found some great pants priced nicelly, they look really cool. Anyway there was a lady there and we started talking, she mentioned some stuff that got me thinking one of the things she said, was to rent a 4 wheel drive car, she said that if i was going to rent a 2 wheel car dont even bother to do that just stay home, "to rent the 4 weel drive car is a lot more". Another thing she said was that I needed to have chains in my car and if I dint the cops would make me turn around "to be honest that sounds kind of wierd, but i dint to delegate with her, she was kind of nice". Another how bad is the drive from frisco to boulder, she said that its going to be nasty. Other things she mentioned was colder weather than the east coast. Another thing that we just realized is that one of the people in the group has a heart condition and this is might intefere with the ski and the high altitude, theres nothing really we can do about it but just wait and see. But any sugestions on the car questions, I hope shes wrong.

fet123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2006   #2
gh

pnw, Colorado
totally depends on the weather. could be sunny with dry roads, could be a blizzard.
Old 10-24-2006   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gh
totally depends on the weather. could be sunny with dry roads, could be a blizzard.
I understand that, but lets say theres somewhat of a blizard, I wont get anywhere with out 4x4??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2006   #4

If there's a blizzard, there will be lots of snowplows out clearing the roads. It's possible they won't be able to keep up, if so, count your blesssings, that means its a powder day!

There will be plenty of other 2WD cars on the road. Sometimes the Dept. of Transportation will make chains mandatory for semis & trucks and occationally for passenger cars going over passes but it's pretty rare. Don't worry about getting a 4WD. Chances are you won't need it. All the main roads will be passable for a 2WD with good tires unless it's an epic storm.
boatnbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006   #5
gh

pnw, Colorado
i think a front wheel drive with decent tires can get you in the mountains
Old 10-24-2006   #6

I'm not saying that you can always get along without a 4 wheel drive during a Colorado snow storm, but I used to make it up the hill (I70) and back safely without a 4x4 the whole time I went to college. I think you simply need to pay close attention to how you drive and stop. We have too many damn gas guzzlers on the road because of that typical attitude. Car pooling isn't a bad idea either. It helps to have a front wheel drive. If you have a 2 wheel drive truck, I'd recommend putting sand bags in the back to add traction to the rear wheels.
cemartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006   #7

I would recommend going with 4-wheel drive if you can. No it's not absolutely necessary but it will make things easier if it snows a lot. Driving in bad weather, especially if you're not used to it, can be very stressful and 4-wheel drive will give you more control when the roads are slick. And sometimes it will only be a little more than your other rental options. The only place I've ever seen enforced chain laws for non-commercial vehicles is in Little Cottonwood Canyon, so you don't have to worry about that. How bad the drive to Boulder is will depend completely on the weather (could be dry, could be a blizzard). The temps are often colder than the east coast winters but it's a dry cold (not the damp, bone chilling cold of the east) so it might not feel a lot colder. It's looking like it'll be a good winter by early January; you're gonna have a great time.

D
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNT
I would recommend going with 4-wheel drive if you can. No it's not absolutely necessary but it will make things easier if it snows a lot. Driving in bad weather, especially if you're not used to it, can be very stressful and 4-wheel drive will give you more control when the roads are slick. And sometimes it will only be a little more than your other rental options. The only place I've ever seen enforced chain laws for non-commercial vehicles is in Little Cottonwood Canyon, so you don't have to worry about that. How bad the drive to Boulder is will depend completely on the weather (could be dry, could be a blizzard). The temps are often colder than the east coast winters but it's a dry cold (not the damp, bone chilling cold of the east) so it might not feel a lot colder. It's looking like it'll be a good winter by early January; you're gonna have a great time.

D
\

Thanks a lot for everything guys, I can of guessed that lady was over exagerating, I am really happy with the pants, they were 69 bucks and they look really nice, never expected them to be so cheap, every place i looked for nice sets like this they always over 100.

Cant wait for the trip
Old 10-24-2006   #9
rhm

steamboat springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
the chain rule on the passes in colorado is definately for commercial vehicles and maybe two wheel drive vehicles without "snow" tires. i think that a four wheel drive may be exempt from the chain rule. if they are calling for chains, the pass wil probably be pretty slick. i doubt that any rental you get in the front range actually has "snow" tires on it. it probably has all season tires. plenty of people drive rentals from denver to the mountains on any given day all winter long and most make it just fine. if conditions get too bad they close the pass. if the road is open you will probably make it where you are going. just drive slow, don't follow too close, and don't hit the brakes hard, PUMP YOUR BRAKES to stop even if they are antilock which most rentals are. and above all remain calm. if you panic you'll lock up your wheels and end up crashing.
rhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006   #10

Metro Area, Colorado
been driving in the colorado mountains for 15 years, usually every weekend. only 1 time have i been on I-70 where a 2-wheel drive car couldn't make it. the roads can be slick, but the plows are always out. you will be fine.

not to mention, a 4X4 rental car during January can cost 4-5 times as much as a good front-wheel drive car.

i say roll the dice...
cecil is offline   Reply With Quote

« how much $ | CGM »