snake gitter - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-23-2018   #1
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
snake gitter

I am generally opposed to dispatching rattlers, but if you have your camp all set up, have the dogs runnin round and the kidos, and that stubborn rattler just won't leave, I can highly recommend the Bond Arms Snake Slayer IV which can chamber a 3" 410 shotgun shell or a 45 colt.

https://bondarms.com/bond-arms-handg...ake-slayer-iv/

as well as some custom 6 gun grips from Todd Korup:

Grips - Welcome

shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2018   #2

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
Come on Shap, I prefer to leave weather a snake lives or dies in my camp up to the Judge.

https://www.taurususa.com/product-de...rumbseries=TJM
codycleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018   #3
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by codycleve View Post
Come on Shap, I prefer to leave weather a snake lives or dies in my camp up to the Judge.

https://www.taurususa.com/product-de...rumbseries=TJM
Yes the judge is a great sidearm, but it is indeed a cannon and way more than a person might need for a "snake gitter".

First of all, the judge model you posted weighs 36.8 oz. The Bond Arms snake slayer IV weighs in at 23.5 oz, the Judge is almost a pound heavier.

The Bond Arms pistol holds 2 shots, plenty for a snake encounter. If you need 5 shots, I think back to the range with you.

The Bond Arms pistol can take any other of the many many length/caliber barrel combinations simply by unscrewing 1 bolt. It litterally takes less than 1 minute to change out the barrel. I have a 357mag/38 special barrel as well.

The Bond Arms snake slayer fits a lot nicer on your person than a Judge:

a lot more comfortable than the much larger judge revolver.

Also Bond Arms is a USA company and all of their guns are made here by a small manufacturer. I have shot a judge, they are nice guns, but the Bond Arms derringers are on another level in quality, simplicity, form and function in my opinion.

Anyway, this is providing a good diversion while I am working on my taxes today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2018   #4
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
I might add, unless you are in war, I am hard pressed to think of a situation when a person would need more than 3 shots for anything. 3 shots are the maximum legal for shotgun hunting for birds. If you can't shoot that elk or deer in 3 shots, you should be banded from hunting for life (really 2 shots should be the limit). Lets say you conceal carry, which I have never felt the need, 3 shots should give you enough to defend your self so you can get away from the situation. Home defense, 3 shots of 000 buckshot should be enough for the robber to leave or be laying on the ground. I own 6 firearms and none hold more than 2 shots. My 30-30 is a single shot and deadly accurate. My M6 scout has 2 barrels, one is 22LR one is 410 (single shot) great for grouse. My 20 ga is a single shot, my 12 ga is over/under and holds 2, my 22lr is also a singe shot. And of course the snake slayer derringer (2 shot).
Old 03-26-2018   #5

Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1990
Bucket the snake for the night and release in the a.m. The snake lives there, you do not.
GC Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018   #6
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by GC Guide View Post
Bucket the snake for the night and release in the a.m. The snake lives there, you do not.
No thank you, the couple snakes we could not coax out of camp, I would not wanted to have tried to bucket them. I assume you do this with mosquitoes and ticks as well, pluck them off, put them in a jar for release the next morning.

I have only had to dispatch a rattler twice in 25 years. Both times the snake was unusually aggressive and would not be coaxed away with an oar (once camping along the Wenaha once, camped along the Grande Ronde. I have had rattlers in camp probably 10 or 12 other times including a few other times camped along the Wenaha, the Main Salmon, the Lower Salmon, other Wallowa/Grande Ronde trips and once on the Owyhee, where we were able to scoot them toward the river where they went in and swam downstream away from camp. I used to do work along the lower Wenaha and would routinely see more than 6 rattlers per day. I use to work around the Black Canyon on the SF John Day and would routinely see more than 10 rattlers per day. Never had the need to exterminate one just hiking around doing work or play (just walk away). Sometimes its got to be BBQ-ed camp rattler though, just like sometimes its got to be pan fried camp grouse.
Old 03-27-2018   #7

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Shap love the pic...is that your mustache!!!

The majority of home invasions is done as a collaboration. You'll have more than one fool to shoot...ideally you unleash a wave of hate their way and get um all before they can start running away.

Man i miss WV, I'll probably be jailed in Denver if someone trys to get cute with me and mine.
k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018   #8

little rock, Arkansas
Shap, do you really cook em up?
lncoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018   #9
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by lncoop View Post
Shap, do you really cook em up?
Yes, I have cooked one. Not too bad, but there wasn't a whole lot of meat on it.
Old 03-27-2018   #10
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2andcannoli View Post
Shap love the pic...is that your mustache!!!

The majority of home invasions is done as a collaboration. You'll have more than one fool to shoot...ideally you unleash a wave of hate their way and get um all before they can start running away.

Man i miss WV, I'll probably be jailed in Denver if someone trys to get cute with me and mine.
NO just a stock pick from gunblast,

I bet if there are 3 robbers, 2 get shot (1 each with 000 buck) the third runs away. Actual if you believe the statistics, as soon as you return fire, they run away usually.