Should I move to Denver? - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-21-2016   #1

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Should I move to Denver?

Contemplating a move to Denver for a job. It's a good job doing cool stuff, but I already have one of those in Michigan. My number 1 hobby is fly fishing, followed closely by beer, hiking, canoeing, backpacking, gardening, etc. Rafting is quickly growing on me, too. I feel like me and Denver would get along well.

What's the cost of living like? I've lived in DC before, and Ann Arbor, Michigan (current home town) is surprisingly expensive. Any other things I should consider?

fishingraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2016   #2

Yes. If you do t like it you can move back....... Or elsewhere.

Do what you want to do now, this ain't no dress rehearsal. Before you know it your 80 in a home farting on your nuts for entertainment.

Yes...... I hear Denver is expensive.

And if your really like doing all those things consider not moving to a city of millions. Remember Denver is not in the Mountains.
nemi west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016   #3

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemi west View Post
Yes. If you do t like it you can move back....... Or elsewhere.

Do what you want to do now, this ain't no dress rehearsal. Before you know it your 80 in a home farting on your nuts for entertainment.

Yes...... I hear Denver is expensive.

And if your really like doing all those things consider not moving to a city of millions. Remember Denver is not in the Mountains.
Farting on my nuts for entertainment. Holy shit that is funny. The big bonus is that the job is 50% travel to really cool places on the water. Downside is it's Denver. But at least I can drive to some of my favorite places instead of fly!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2016   #4
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
why not? Everyone else and their mom that doesn't know how to drive is moving here!

We have no shortage of beer and you can do all those other things in no more than 15 miles away and an hours drive ( traffic sucks), albeit you'll be doing them alongside the masses. A few hours drive will get you some breathing room.

Cost of living is rising steadily but if you are used to DC prices you'll be fine.
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016   #5
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
There are tons of awesome things to do once you drive up out of Denver. Personally can't stand the *&%#!)&$#@!%T Place.
Maybe it's not that bad, like it better then D.C. and probly cheaper, and over all safer. Having a job you enjoy is a big bonus, and it would put you a lot closer to a bunch of really awesome western rivers. Cost of living is a lot cheaper then the mountains( most expensive safeway in country right here!)
If you move out this way, hit me up, and maybe we can get on the water some time!

Watch out for Denver drivers, zack is right, they cannot drive!
Old 01-22-2016   #6

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman View Post
Watch out for Denver drivers, zack is right, they cannot drive!
That's because 3/4ths of them are texting while they drive and red lights don't mean much, especially at rush hour. And rush hour lasts a long time.

Thankfully I work from home or I would be more of a blubbering idiot than I already am.
If you move here, live close to work and lean towards the west side of town so you can get up to the playground easier.
You mentioned you travel a lot of work, remember the airport is way on the east side of town.
Old 01-22-2016   #7

Up shites creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Move to SLC. Denver is uber saturated, and at least 75% of the drivers suck. If I could get the wiff to move there, I'd be in SLC.
Old 01-22-2016   #8

Fort Fun, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
I made a similar move 12 years ago, mine started in N. AZ, then DC, SE MI and Fort Collins. It ain't the mountains but it is close. Most folks soon realize that this is the edge of the Great American Desert (prairie if you will) and miss the trees. If you like to be active and do things outside, SE Michigan pales to here. Name it and there will probably be at least one person in your neighborhood who does it.
trevko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016   #9

Up shites creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
The Den population is growing like mad. The drivers are freakin clueless lemmings. Sorry, I'm repeating myself. But after spending long sucky hours stuck on I-70 last night I'm a bit jaded.
Old 02-01-2016   #10

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Alrighty dudes, moving to Denver next month. As much as I despise bad drivers and ugly traffic, the job was too good to turn down (travelling fisheries research biologist gig). I will absolutely hit you guys up in the very near future for advice and guidance as I start exploring CO rivers. I'm probably the only dude on mountain buzz who hasn't floated whitewater, so I can use any and all pointers. My raft has been used 100% for fishing Michigan rivers up to this point...time to turn it up a notch.