Schizo in St. Paul! - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-03-2008   #1

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Schizo in St. Paul!

I watched the GOP convention last night feeling a bit like a voyeur watching a train wreck. Speaker after speaker assailed the "swamp" in Washington and touted the McCain/Palin qualifications to drain the swamp.

It was pretty astounding to hear the party that created the K-Street Project, the party of Tom Delay, the party of Jack Abramoff, talk pointedly about cleaning up the morass of their making... and acting like someone else made it. It would be generous to say that the GOP was having an "identity crisis." It would be accurate to call last night's theatrics a public display of collective Dissociative Identity Disorder.

I loved conservative commentator David Brooks assessment: "nobody here but us chickens."

DurangoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2008   #2
Self-Aggrandizing jackass

The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
You're braver than I, DS. I can't watch that rubbish, but I'll get my fix from the Daily Show and Colbert.

The Republican party now makes Al Gore's assertion that there was a "Taliban wing of the Republican Party" look like an understatement.

I'm abandoning the Republicans; going to switch my party affiliation to independent and send a letter to the RNC.

The Republicans now stand for theocracy.
Old 09-03-2008   #3

Durango, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by heliodorus04 View Post
You're braver than I, DS. I can't watch that rubbish, but I'll get my fix from the Daily Show and Colbert.

The Republican party now makes Al Gore's assertion that there was a "Taliban wing of the Republican Party" look like an understatement.

I'm abandoning the Republicans; going to switch my party affiliation to independent and send a letter to the RNC.

The Republicans now stand for theocracy.
I'm telling you, for a moment I thought I was watching the Colbert Report. It was that absurd! The theatrical parading of military folks, while failing to mention that BushCo lied its way into a war that is killing and maiming our soldiers needlessly. Oh and "stop loss." And Walter Reed.

My wife is like you, she couldn't watch the train wreck. She could hear the TV from the kitchen and would periodically shout out a response to a particular absurdity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2008   #4

Denver, Colorado
The party of hipocrisy and doublethink. "Government can't run a health care program but we can run trillion dollar wars and manage nucular weapons!" Pro war AND pro life. Must be hard to juggle corporations and churches for your votes.

I learned something new last night though. McCain drove a corvette and dated a stripper in Florida. Wonder if she was a beauty queen.

-d
Old 09-03-2008   #5

Durango, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingston View Post
The party of hipocrisy and doublethink. "Government can't run a health care program but we can run trillion dollar wars and manage nucular weapons!" Pro war AND pro life. Must be hard to juggle corporations and churches for your votes.

I learned something new last night though. McCain drove a corvette and dated a stripper in Florida. Wonder if she was a beauty queen.

-d
Corvette and stripper. I'm switching to McSame. He da man! And his VP is a "babe." Wait, that's my dick talking. Bad dick!
Old 09-03-2008   #6

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
The most amazing thing to me was hearing all the reference to how Palin had taken on corruption and pork in Alaska. But they never once mentioned that the corruption and pork were all related to the Republican- and Big Oil-controlled government up there.

That and the fact they sounded like they were campaigning to take the White House back from a corrupt administration, uh, but the GOP has controlled the White House....

One of the most outrageous things that left me slack-jawed sitting in my car outside Safeway was Thompson's statement that somehow Obama favors infanticide - Thompson: "And we need a President who doesn't think that the protection of the unborn or a newly born baby is above his pay grade." Pretty sleazy, if you ask me.

See it here:
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008   #7

Durango, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy H. View Post
The most amazing thing to me was hearing all the reference to how Palin had taken on corruption and pork in Alaska. But they never once mentioned that the corruption and pork were all related to the Republican- and Big Oil-controlled government up there.

That and the fact they sounded like they were campaigning to take the White House back from a corrupt administration, uh, but the GOP has controlled the White House....

One of the most outrageous things that left me slack-jawed sitting in my car outside Safeway was Thompson's statement that somehow Obama favors infanticide - Thompson: "And we need a President who doesn't think that the protection of the unborn or a newly born baby is above his pay grade." Pretty sleazy, if you ask me.

See it here:
Yep, I repeatedly witnessed what I guess one would call "cognitive dissonance." The only honest GOP speech last night would have come from Pogo: "We have met the enemy and he is us."

Of course, in that vast Theatre of the Absurd, with the pom-pom cheerleaders and the partisan Kool-Aid flowing freely, honesty was an uninvited guest who got booted out onto the streets of St. Paul. "Credentials" problems, it seems....
Old 09-03-2008   #8

Durango, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy H. View Post

See it here:
Ol' Fred's a real piece of "work," isn't he. Here's another "gem" from Fred:

"The selection of Governor Palin has the other side and their friends in the media in a state of panic. She is a courageous, successful reformer, who is not afraid to take on the establishment," he said.

Fred Thompson, lobbyist for our good friends Libya. Uh, Fred, you ARE the friggin' "establishment."
Old 09-03-2008   #9

Durango, Colorado
What's that smell?

Rudy, it's the smoldering stench of hypocrisy...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2008_09_02t191348_350x450_us_usa_politics.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	681