Salida or BV? - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-02-2007   #1

ww guide/ frame builder/welder, mobile fabrication gig
Paddling Since: 1988
Salida or BV?

hey all, looking for basic beta on living conditions, jobs, overalll scene in BV or salida. Don't really care what job I pick up, but hoping for a PM shift. Looking to be on the river or in the hills during the day. A bit a partying will be good, but thats not the priority. Like a lot of you, i have dogs (2) labs. Looking for a place to stay thats dog friendly, and not party central. again, not anti-party by any means, but been there, done that, and it gets old fast.

any ideas?

thanks

oarbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2007   #2

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
you will find that this is a 303 vs. 970 type of debate that we engage in on friendly terms here in the Ark Valley.

I have lived in both ends of the valley and love both towns in reality. For me and my wife we chose to settle in Salida because we love the downtown scene in Salida (walkable, enough good restaurants and the like to keep you happy at least by small town standards), closer to Monarch Pass for skiing access and general "feel" of the town.

All of that being said BV is closer to the Numbers and creeking options and there is a ton of new energy up there. Check out http://www.southmainco.com/ if you are not already aware of this super progressive development in BV.

Housing can be challenging in both towns as can work. But plenty of people give it go because in reality this valley is such a great place to live. Both places really are noticeably busier in the summer with Salida probably having a little more going on in the off-season with live music and the like. Maybe RDNEK or someone will chime in with some better BV knowledge.
Mike Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007   #3
JBL

Gnarnia, Colorado
How much would a 3 bdrm/2 bath, garage, some yard, decent shape house run in Salida?
JBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2007   #4

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
$250,000-$300,000 or so. Maybe more if it is really nice maybe less if it has Salida craftsmanship circa 1960's. But don't quote me on that and I will say that when we bought our new place last year (three bedrooms, two baths, garage, on 7 city lots) we paid more than that and still basically gutted/remodeled one whole floor before we moved in. Salida ain't cheap anymore. That ship has sailed.
Mike Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007   #5

Im hoping i can get a room for rent probably in BV, that will allow dogs. I know thats going to be a tuff one, but Im pretty sure that I can't have dogs with me ( or on property) while working the river, and if i have to camp, I wouldn't feel comfy leaving them in camp. I had a dog stolen about 7 years ago, I know its rare, but it will NOT happen to me again. ( if i can help it).

so, if you know anyone in BV that will rent a room, and allow dogs.lemme know.

Much appreciated.
Old 02-13-2007   #6

all is good, found a terrific temp home for the dogs, with a friend for the summer.

SYOTR

silver metal flake angst, 12' hyside cat, or yellow maravia willawa
usually to be found between granite and stone bridge.