"Rugged, waterproof" smart phones? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > The Eddy

Old 02-23-2014   #1

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
"Rugged, waterproof" smart phones?

I'm researching what to get when I ditch my Dumberry and I may stay with Sprint which has the Kyocera Torque "rugged, waterproof, MilSpec" smart phone. I'm looking for a smartphone I can use in the field and take boating that's for calling & email first, then apps. Doubt I'll use the Direct Connect feature. A snapshot camera is all I really need in a phone.

It looks like they've recently upgraded the Torque to the Jellybean OS since the phone went on the market about a year ago. I just spent an hour reading reviews that were all over the map on Sprint's website - seems the reviewers there either love it or hate it and I can't help but wonder if most are plants writing either for / against the phone.

Any real, live Buzzards have experience with this phone?

Also, I may be getting together a "Sprint Framily" group or be looking to join one. Any experience with this would be welcome, or if you're interested in getting a group together, let me know. Unlimited talk/text with 1GB/mo data (3GB for extra $10/mo) for as low as $25 base rate if you get 7-10 in your group.

Thanks,

-AH

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2014   #2

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Bump - Does anyone in Buzzworld have an opinion on waterproof smartphones?

Thanks,

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014   #3
gh

pnw, Colorado
My opinion is smart phones are too damn expensive. There ya go....an opinion.
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2014   #4

Jackson, Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy H. View Post
Bump - Does anyone in Buzzworld have an opinion on waterproof smartphones? Thanks, -AH
My wife has the Casio g something- can't comment on ruggedness, don't think it's been dunked yet. As a phone- it's a piece of shit.
wyosam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014   #5

Tigard, Oregon
I have an iPhone with the Lifeproof waterproof case, Waterproof iPhone 5s cases, 5c cases and iPad cases | LifeProof. I don't use it on the river, but do run and cycle with it. I am not careful with my phone at all and have taken it in the ocean to get that perfect photo. Never tested the 2 meter depth limit though. The thing has been wet dozens of time and when it gets dirty I washing it in the sink with the phone in it. I've never had any issue with moisture getting inside the case.

Pros:
Not as bulky as other waterproof cases
So far has protected my phone
Very little muffling or sound distortion when on the phone
Protects the phone from dirt and scratches

Cons:
The headphone port uses an adapter that may make the sound quality a little screwy
Not all charging/data cable cables fit through the charging port
Does not dock to most devices without buying an additional adapter
Just bulky enough to not fit in devices created to nest with the iPhone.

Overall I would recommend it, it works just like I want for 99% of the things I do with my phone.
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014   #6
Boy Howdy!

Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyosam View Post
My wife has the Casio g something- can't comment on ruggedness, don't think it's been dunked yet. As a phone- it's a piece of shit.
Same with me, crap as a phone but it has been in water, submerged for 1/2 hour, no damage to the phone. Got mine for the summer months and then I switch back to my other one for non boating months. Its the casio g-zone cost me $50. Next time I'm getting the iphone with a otterbox cover
Old 03-04-2014   #7
Abron Cabron

Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
Andy.. i second what TriBri said, Ipone 5 with a lifeproof case is the goods. I have had one for two years about, with the 4s, now the 5. still have the best phone on the market, ( my bias...) and it is waterproof, and protected from drops, scratches, dirt etc... still takes great photo/video, as stated, the sound is muted. Touch sensitivity is diminshed, esp. when when the screen is wet. the headphone jack port screw can be a pain, and i have lost one, but if you are conscious of it, tighten it down, and make sure the charging port is closed (good to double check at the start of each trip) it is incredibly bomber. it is a rubbergasket drybox like a mini pelican case. another relative PITA is the headphone accessory jack, have to screw it in to use headphones and have it still be waterproof. stock headphone jack fits with out it, but not waterproof. Another PITA, non OEM charging acessories, vehicle MP3jack cables wont fit if they are wider then OEM white cables. have to try before you buy...

(btw pelican is also now making 'milspec' ipone cases... havent seen or tried em yet, but i would trust em because of their reputation and the PCases ive had...)
Just dont drop em in the water, (wont float without the floaty jacket accessory) and dont open it up, unless absolutely necessary. (keep the seal patent.) the ones ive heard of leaking were when people opened em up frequently.
I have taken mine kayaking in my pfd,quite a few times. in the silty dirty rio grande and it has done great. its just kinda dumb to take it cause it would be $$$ to replace... definitely capable, tho.
and my phone still looks brand new a year later....
abron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014   #8

Grants Pass, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
I have an iPhone 5 that is in a lifeproof case that is in a pelican case when not in use. Waterproof and indestructible. Great camera. Has my music on it when I want and does all that other stuff you were talking about.
bloodhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014   #9

albuquerque, New Mexico
I got an otterbox armor series case for my 4s a couple months ago. I've taken it out a bunch of times now in my pfd pocket, and it has done just fine being submerged multiple times. It's bulky, and makes the buttons a bit more cumbersome, but it seems pretty bomber so far.
bigscottone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014   #10

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2001
That Kyocera looks frickin gigantic! My wife and I are sort of in the market for a smart phone (we figure at least one of us should have one) so I was intrigued by your post. Rugged sounds good, and I'd love to spread the market out a bit and away from Apple, but geez I could carry a day's worth of food in my pocket in the same space that thing takes up!

Obviously I am behind the times, but I just don't geek out over anything with a circuit board. We'll be bothering all you folks for current flows if we run into you out yonder!
jakebrown98 is offline   Reply With Quote