Ron Paul's farewell speech to congress - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > The Eddy

Old 11-19-2012   #1

Golden, Colorado
Ron Paul's farewell speech to congress

I'm wishing this was an Inauguration speech not a farewell speech.

blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012   #2

Uzbekibekistanstan, Mississippi
Not to be too offensive, but GOOD RIDDANCE. For every one good idea that guy had, he had 10 TERRIBLE ideas. Just my opinion...
Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012   #3

San Juans, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I downloaded this today to listen to during driving. If most rational people listened to this speech not knowing it was Ron Paul I think they'd agree with nearly everything he said. He blasted unregulated capitalism, totalitarianism, and religion based policy.

I wish we had more politicians that had the nuts to say these things.
dgosn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012   #4

Golden, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw
Not to be too offensive, but GOOD RIDDANCE. For every one good idea that guy had, he had 10 TERRIBLE ideas. Just my opinion...
That speech was 44 minutes long. I'm sure you didn't listen to a minute of it. If I'm wrong and you did, how many TERRIBLE ideas did you hear in there?
Old 11-19-2012   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutzski View Post
That speech was 44 minutes long. I'm sure you didn't listen to a minute of it. If I'm wrong and you did, how many TERRIBLE ideas did you hear in there?
I already know what he stands for.... eliminating the Department of Education so that kids don't have the opportunity to get a college education, unless they can pay for it outright or have the credit worthiness as a young kid to barrow from the bank. He believes in deflationary monetary policy that is based on a useless commodity (gold). His ideas are crackpot. You can't have the same amount of money in circulation for a growing population and expand the wealth of the world. He's a crackpot! Society doesn't need gold, we need innovation and technology to improve the lives of ordinary people.
Old 11-19-2012   #6

Golden, Colorado
Right cause the Department of Education has created such a stellar education system in this country and the Federal Reserve has only inflated away 97% of the value of the dollar since they took over our currency... and that was before QE1, QE2, and QE3. That whacky Paul for not seeing the brilliance of those two institutions.

I invite you to listen to his speech and then tell me you know what he stands for. like dogsn said, if people with preconceived notions like you didn't know it was Ron Paul talking, they would probably agree with almost everything he said, none of which is being said by the Establishment politicians. But then against you don't think we have an interventionist foreign policy.
Old 11-19-2012   #7

While smart nations like Sweedon, Korea, and Singapore move toward investing in their people, the Republicans in the US have decided that it's better to let everyone fend for themselves. Instead of nurturing and fostering the abilities of our people, libertarians and Republicans have taken the position everyone should be on their own. This is the wrong answer, and it will only result in poverty and an undereducated populous. Public-Private partnerships have been, and will continue to move all nations forward. We've always had these partnerships, but the Teabaggers woke up one morning and decided to rewrite history.

Deflationary policy has been tried in Europe to no avail. After a couple years of harsh austerity, the European Central Bank has decided to do the same stimulus that the US has been doing since 2008. WHY? Because we're a relative success story right now compared with European austerity. BTW, deflationary gold standard policies will only make it more difficult for everyone in the US to get out of debt. This will raise interest rates drastically and freeze credit. Sounds like a stupid idea to me.
Old 11-19-2012   #8

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
While smart nations like Sweedon, Korea, and Singapore move toward investing in their people, the Republicans in the US have decided that it's better to let everyone fend for themselves. Instead of nurturing and fostering the abilities of our people, libertarians and Republicans have taken the position everyone should be on their own. This is the wrong answer, and it will only result in poverty and an undereducated populous. Public-Private partnerships have been, and will continue to move all nations forward. We've always had these partnerships, but the Teabaggers woke up one morning and decided to rewrite history.

Deflationary policy has been tried in Europe to no avail. After a couple years of harsh austerity, the European Central Bank has decided to do the same stimulus that the US has been doing since 2008. WHY? Because we're a relative success story right now compared with European austerity. BTW, deflationary gold standard policies will only make it more difficult for everyone in the US to get out of debt. This will raise interest rates drastically and freeze credit. Sounds like a stupid idea to me.
I still agree with Thomas Jefferson, the Fed Reserve and inflation will eventually strip all but the very wealthy of land and any possession worth owning:

"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered...I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies..." -Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-19-2012   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jensjustduckie View Post
I still agree with Thomas Jefferson, the Fed Reserve and inflation will eventually strip all but the very wealthy of land and any possession worth owning:

"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered...I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies..." -Thomas Jefferson
How? Can you give me specifics? Call me crazy, but it seems VERY unrealistic to think that we should have a money supply based on something so archaic as gold. After all, millions, even billions of people are gaining prosperity in the world every decade. Is it fair to always have the same amount of wealth in the world based on gold or some other commodity? In all honesty, do you trade gold in your normal day to day life? Or perhaps do you trade your services, knowledge, skills for monetary compensation? If the wealth of the world is based on a finite commodity, as more people gain middle class status and more people are born, it will only become more difficult to gain your share of the wealth. It will become difficult and impossible to barrow money to start a business, go to college, or build a house. If there is a progression toward everyone having less money due to supply restrictions, debts will become ever more difficult to repay. This is certainly not how we got out of any other financial crisis. To the contrary, fiscal stimulus has made it less difficult for an over leveraged society to repay it's debts. It's not perfect, but it sure beats the Paulbot approach!
Old 11-19-2012   #10

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Not the gold standard but the Federal Reserve has got to go, the constant inflation created by the Fed Reserve may serve temporarily but it will fail in the long run. The stability it provides is temporary.