Responsible dog ownership - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-02-2009   #1

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
Responsible dog ownership

So,
Yesterday I'm at the neighborhood sledding hill with the boys. Probably forty kids running around the hill with another 20 on the pond playing hockey. With this about 15 family pets running around.

One golden mounts a mut of a guy cruising by on the cross country track. The mut tries to run out from under and the golden takes him down and starts chewing the hell out of him. Cross country skier pops his skis and kicks the golden off of his dog.

Owners of golden go ballistic about their dog getting kicked. Understand the dog has now died. I wish people with agressive dogs would keep them at home or on a leash. Kids were crying all over the place. The owner was loooking for the name of the guy who saved his dog. Funny thing was that two days earlier, there was another major dog fight.

We all love dogs and it is certainly a part of mountain life to have them off leash. I know this family has lost their pet, but I hold them respoonsible. Not the guy whose dog was attacked.

Just venting. Thanks

Advertisement

Old 01-02-2009   #2
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
so the golden died from being kicked? thats one helluva kick.

i was nordic skiing yesterday and almost got taken out by someones dog. i jabbed toward it with my pole which is the only thing that caused it to swerve away from me.

i also have to complain about the 'people' with like 3 or 4 uncontrolled dogs. WTF?

yeah so keep your dogs at home if they tend to charge people, kids and other dogs!
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009   #3

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I'm taking it to mean the dog that was attacked died, right?

There aren't bad dogs, just bad owners (exceptions noted). Too many dogs, pack order has to be established, can't do in a quick visit, fight ensues. Strange dogs should be contained, a friendly dog can even scare a shy dog on a leash. We take our pups xc skiing in a dog friendly place, and leash/contain them when encountering other people or dogs on leash. other dogs off leash? Case by case basis. We don't bring our dogs to areas with hordes of them. Too many problems, it just isn't responsible, especially with lots of short-legged people.

Owner should have been kicked, poor dog. I'd do the same, and my dogs are goldens. If your dog is attacking, you're not controlling it. If you aren't controlling it, your fault for WHATEVER happens.

Sweet goldens, I've known two males that are dangerously aggressive. Not always sweet.
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2009   #4

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
If the golden who died was killed by a single kick, that guy's either got some serious black belt prowess or the dog was seriously unlucky. Either way, the kicker probably felt bad about killing the golden but is glad to still be able to cuddle his little mutt. The owners of the golden had to have known that their dog could be aggressive, but probably never had a protective field goal kicker thrown into the mix. Be proactive about your dog's safety!
Old 01-02-2009   #5

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
?'s

yes, the dog that started the fight is the one that is reported to dead.

Yes, I have seen dogs take much bigger impacts and be okay. (hit by tubes, etc..)

No, I don't know what the injury was. I'd have to guess some sort of internal organ ruptured or something. Just a sad situation all around. Yes, I agree the owners are at fault. They did not see it that way at all.
Old 01-02-2009   #6
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
one time i was hiking with my kids and this guys dog barked and jumped up on my 2 year old kid. I put my foot up just to block the dog - not even kick it. the owner started yelling and threatening me. i told him he had better leave now or bad things would happen. he sulked away and later i saw him he had picked up a large stick cause he was fairly certain i might kill him.

moral of the story is some dog owners think their dogs aren't doing anything wrong and if you protect yourself/kid/dog against their dog they get all bent like you just slapped their mom or something.

killing the dog seems a little excessive however unless it was really harming someone.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009   #7

at my house, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada View Post
yes, the dog that started the fight is the one that is reported to dead.
Dogs dying makes me cry. Poor pup. Bad owner.
Old 01-02-2009   #8

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Killing a dog is a little excessive but I doubt that was the intention. I am still shocked that the dog died as a result of one kick.

If a dog ever attacks me, my family or my dog you better believe I am going to kick that dog and do whatever it takes to protect mine. Just as I would fight back if a human were to attack me or mine. If my dog were to ever bit someone or their dog I wouldn't be upset if my dog got kicked as a result. He would have it coming. Its called responsibility.
goldcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009   #9

Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
Quote:
Originally Posted by mania View Post
i also have to complain about the morons with like 3 or 4 dogs. WTF?
My fiancee' and I have four dogs, we're not morons.

It's challenging when we take all of them to the mountains and/or a dog park.......but It's all about being a responsible owner.....knowing your dog(s). Not only that but being aware of other dog types at every given moment. We have four personalities to monitor and we KNOW what kind of dog annoys them....we keep them away.

Sad story, I would have kicked that golden as well. Sad he died from it.....but it's the owners fault.
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009   #10

at my house, Montana
Sh!t, I missed that. We have 3 dogs, had 4 until June. That was a stupid remark mania. Might have been better to say "people with uncontrolled dogs - WTF" as I can be out skiing with 3 of ours and control them, even when the 4th was mobile I could do the same. It's called training.