Researching smartphones & calling plans - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > The Eddy

Old 07-25-2013   #1

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Researching smartphones & calling plans

Our contract with Sprint is coming to a close sometime soon and we're shopping around for a calling plan for the wife and I. Would like to know what folks out there are using and pros / cons.

Also, looking at ditching the Dumbberry I've got and transitioning to a smarter phone for email, texts, and oh yeah, the occasional phone call. Suggestions?

Thanks!

-AH

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2013   #2

Christopher Creek, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1969
I set the most important service provider criterion in this order:
1. coverage for where I am at and where I might end up.
2. flexible plan that includes linking extra phones for family at a nominal charge.
3. offers first class equipment for free with a term contract.
4. 4G
5. Reasonable data plans/fees.
Sure, that order will change to fit your needs and there might be other perks.
For me, its the company who's name starts with a v.
fdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013   #3

Louisville, Colorado
Andy,
Hubby had ATT while I had Verizon, half of the time he couldn't get service in in our winter and summer recreation spots, which I am sure overlap heavily with play spots. He now has Verizon. We have iphones, but there are lot of good phones out there these days. If you set your phone to use your wireless and work wireless you can save alot of data. We share a minimal data plan between our phones and use wifi. But, the ability to tether a laptop to the phone for internet is an incredibly awesome feature that we use often when traveling.
Briana
catwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2013   #4

Nosebleed, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
We went with Straight Talk at Walmart. Wife and I both got Galaxy Ss, no limits on data, text, calls. 42.50/month and you buy the phones. It was half the cost of any of the big vendors. Our phones run on the verison network, but you can also get phones the run on GMS (ATT) network. We had Sprint which sucked up here.
funrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013   #5

Nosebleed, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
Oh, no teathering with ST which might be a dealbreaker for you.
funrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013   #6
Old Guy in a PFD

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1967
We have used Verizon for at least 10 years and have felt like it was "good enough"
My wife decided to upgrade to a Samsung smart phone, cause, you know, she wanted all the fun stuff. Me, I still have the same flip phone I got 5 years ago. Still works just fine. My dad and son are also on the plan, cause, you know, my son is a bum and my dad earned it cause he raised me.

With the upgrade the problems started; my wife kept calling customer service cause she needed help, and they kept running her around. By day 35 she was on a first name basis with the local manager and most of the customer service people.
They finally told her the phone was defective and needed to be replaced.
Fine, she says, I can bring it in.
Small problem they say; phones are only replaced free in the first 30 days. This is gonna cost you.

Since then, customer service has become non existent.

We are now awaiting a response from the CEO of Verizon; day 19 and counting. Not expecting any response.

We will not renew our agreement. Looking at the month to month and no contract services.

Oh yeah, and even though we'd been customers forever, when she upgraded there is this stupid $35 "service fee"; just to get a new "free upgrade" phone, pay more for the service, and extend the stupid contract.

When I questioned what this was for, the helpful minion got snotty and said he was helping "your wife". I told him he maybe waned to lose the attitude and answer my questions, since my name was on the account as well.

He says everyone is the same, and it's normal. I said the question was what is it for? He says; everyone charges it and as he had already told me, it's a "service fee". Now I'm starting to get an attitude, and I asked, him if he meant the service he was giving at that moment?

My wife suggested I go look at the pretty phones, and let her deal with it, which I did cause you know, I was gonna kill and eat the little fucker.

I shoulda followed my instincts.
Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013   #7

Any chance your wife had a Galaxy s3? Lots of firmware issues.. although I understand there may be an update soon. Try googling: galaxy s3, straight to voicemail, LTE for an eye opener. Carriers aren't talking about the issues and Samsung seems to have it's head in a dark and stinky place.... the underlying issue seems to be carriers LTE systems (which are being currently rolled out) in conflict with the firmware.
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013   #8
Old Guy in a PFD

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Any chance your wife had a Galaxy s3? Lots of firmware issues.. although I understand there may be an update soon. Try googling: galaxy s3, straight to voicemail, LTE for an eye opener. Carriers aren't talking about the issues and Samsung seems to have it's head in a dark and stinky place.... the underlying issue seems to be carriers LTE systems (which are being currently rolled out) in conflict with the firmware.
Thanks, but no, the phone has bigger problems. It shuts down and won't restart, even after pulling the battery for a "hard reset". It will restart all by itself after a few hours. Most of the time.
The voice mail function is about the only thing that consistently works, that is if you can get into it.
Web access does not exist. Ever. Something to do with the chip. It isn't a software problem.
The display may or may not be readable. Sometimes, it's just lines. Sometimes it's like looking through a glass of water.
The keys may or may not actually type anything. Depends on the day.
We both have the same service, but I can get a good signal, and my wife, standing next to me, won't.
Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote