Questions about apple, gopro, and iMovie. - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > The Eddy

Old 06-10-2013   #1

East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
Questions about apple, gopro, and iMovie.

Gee this set up seems slow as molasses. I kind of have it worked out but there's got to be an easier faster way to process video. Something about changing the gopro files to some other format. I can barely find my videos much less change the format. They are in iPhoto but hard to locate and pull up in iMovie. Takes forever to generate thumbnails.

Still can't figure out how to save projects and source video to my external drive either. Searched the web and can't figure it yet. My internal drive is filling up.

Any tips would help if you are adept a this type of thing. I am not exactly a computer wizz, so you know.

Thanks, Neff

spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2013   #2

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Get a real editing program
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by caspermike View Post
Get a real editing program
Suggestions?

I finally figured out the drive issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2013   #4

Bump
Old 06-14-2013   #5

Birmingham, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider View Post
Gee this set up seems slow as molasses. I kind of have it worked out but there's got to be an easier faster way to process video. Something about changing the gopro files to some other format. I can barely find my videos much less change the format. They are in iPhoto but hard to locate and pull up in iMovie. Takes forever to generate thumbnails.

Still can't figure out how to save projects and source video to my external drive either. Searched the web and can't figure it yet. My internal drive is filling up.

Any tips would help if you are adept a this type of thing. I am not exactly a computer wizz, so you know.

Thanks, Neff
Hey spider
Having fun with the go pro? I've just managed to trial one out through work and can't wait to have a good play with the editing. iMovie is pretty rubbish for editing and often doesn't accept many video file formats, I'd go for Final Cut any day! You can get it as a express package which is a little more basic but at a better price. It will allow you to import the footage directly and not degrade the quality by editing. I teach video editing so I'm happy to help any way I can, if you can't got for that option, I'd always use Roxie toast to convert its much better than any online freebies. Which go pro have you got and what do you think to it?

Subcultural girl
Subcultural girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013   #6

I have final cut express but it looks more confusing than imovie. I guess I need to go flip my boat a few more times and try to import to FCE. Thanks for the reply.

I am running an old 920 (on loan as long as I like) but am looking to buy a replay xd. From what I have read the gopro is for pc and not very mac compatible. the replay 1080 with the waterproof case is less than a hero3 black and does not have the nasty fish eye lens. I think the fish eye is adjustable on the hero 3.

If you click on my sig at the bottom of my post you can see my projects from this may and june on you tube
Old 06-14-2013   #7

heres a link to the replay 1080 Replay XD1080 Tech Specs - Replay XD
Old 06-14-2013   #8

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Well i hope this works this weekend. I probably screwed yp all of the settings fumbling through the menu's trying to update the software, buy I'll play with it on the drive over. I got the screen thingie, but not sure that'll be useful as it doesn't sewm to be able to play anything back. The fish eye seems much better on the medium fov, at least viewing it on the app. I use pinnacle studio gor video editing, i hope it all works!!!
Old 06-14-2013   #9

Did you break a finger lhowemt? kidding, but seriously are you on a mac or pc?
Old 06-14-2013   #10

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider View Post
Did you break a finger lhowemt? kidding, but seriously are you on a mac or pc?
Yes, that's my excuse from now on..... Seriously, iphone keyboard, so fricking tired of detailed editing at work, and let's be real, it's the buzz. I prefer the uneducated moron persona usually, but I'll use broken finger now too.

Pc. About to get a new one. Lots of power on my current one but the 1T hard drive came partitioned in 4. Even though I don't keep any data files on c, I'm always fighting to keep enough free space to run large programs. Sucks. So I'm expecting a battle, time will tell. Going to have to get an external too as I don't see any reasonably priced laptops with more than 1T. That's crazy, that's so 4 years ago....