Printer Recommendations? - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-25-2018   #1

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Printer Recommendations?

My old printer is about to bite the dust and I'm looking for a new one for my home-based business that's more of a printer than an ink marketing device.

Looking for recommendations on a Wi-fi enabled all-in-one printer that will:
  • Scan/copy with an auto document feeder
  • Copy with enlarge / shrink feature
  • Continue to print in B&W after color ink has gone dry
  • Continue to print until lack of ink starts to affect print quality (THEN I'll change the cartridge...)
  • Accept third party print cartridges (not made by the printer mfgr.)

That's really all I need, photo printing is not even a requirement.

I've read a ton of reviews on Epson and HP on Amazon and Consumer Reports and it seems like the printer manufacturers are all going to selling printers cheap and then making their $$ with ink...

Any thoughts appreciated!

-AH

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2018   #2

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Hi Andy,

I have been really happy with my Canon MX892 all-in-one printer. This is quite a few years old now and there are numerous similar versions with different model numbers and slightly different features. It pretty much fits your list.

Features
WiFi with easy setup and tools
Copy with enlarge/decrease feature
Scan (choice of output file format and resolution)
Fax (not too useful these days)
Black or color print option
Auto load and single feed trays
Photo options

I can continue to print stuff past the low-ink warnings pretty effectively and if you switch to black mode the color cartridges are ignored (I think). I buy inexpensive generic cartridges that work just fine.

Canon is my go-to printer these days. I have had Epson and HP but prefer Canon. I hope this helps.
Ever_Cat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018   #3

summit, Colorado
I hate to break it to you, but pretty much all inkjet printers these days are just ink marketing devices. I work for a copier sales/service company, and we can't even work on inkjet printers because they're just designed to be disposable.
Can you find some extra money in your budget to get a laser printer, or a toner based MFP? It'll cost more initially, but the cost per page to actually use it would be a lot lower.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Mountain Buzz mobile app
basinrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2018   #4

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by basinrafter View Post
I hate to break it to you, but pretty much all inkjet printers these days are just ink marketing devices. I work for a copier sales/service company, and we can't even work on inkjet printers because they're just designed to be disposable.
That's sort of the conclusion I'm coming to...
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Old 09-29-2018   #5

Jenks, Oklahoma
go to amazon site and search for brother printers.

I have used many printers over the years. Brother printers are usually the cheapest to buy and cheapest for ink and paper.

check brother out from Amazon
okieboater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018   #6

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I have a home office and have used hp, brother, and epson. I now have 2 epson's as the ink usage is great and reliability is awesome.
Old 09-29-2018   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by basinrafter View Post
Can you find some extra money in your budget to get a laser printer, or a toner based MFP? It'll cost more initially, but the cost per page to actually use it would be a lot lower.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Mountain Buzz mobile app
I second the vote for a laserjet. I was given a used HP Laserjet 3200 about 7 years ago, and I still haven't had to replace the toner cartridge. Obviously I don't print a lot, and it's black and white only, but still. 7+ years on a cartridge...
jaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018   #8

Fort Collins
We just went through this with our Epson XP-430. I initially bought it because it was cheaper to buy the printer with the initial ink than to buy ink for our previous printer. It worked well with the original ink, but when we started using 3rd party ink, the quality got horrible. It would also only print composite black instead of true black, and did not have a draft mode. I think we burned through a lot of 3rd party ink because of this.

After a while, I thought there had to be a better driver out there, and that it would improve the print quality. So I looked, found it and installed it. And voila, I bricked the printer because it would not work with my 3rd party ink. The new drivers detected the 3rd party ink, and refused to use it. I was actually really disgusted with this, and vowed to never buy another Epson.

So, cursing Epson under our breath, we went printer shopping again, only to determine that any printer we bought would likely do the same thing. So, with that realization,this time, instead of shopping for printers, we shopped for ink, and ended up determining that the ink for our Epson was among the cheaper inks. So, in the end, we sucked it up, bought Epson ink instead of a printer and went home to use it. And to our surprise and astonishment, the new driver had draft mode and would print black only, so now we feel like we are saving ink. That was recently enough that we have not used up a cartridge yet, but we use draft mode all the time, and are pleased with our print quality, and think we are using less ink. The new driver also solved our scanning beef with the Epson of how it would only send a jpg to the computer wirelessly, but for a PDF, we had to physically transfer it on an SD card.

So, at the end of the day, we are annoyed that it won't handle 3rd party ink, and I still think that is a crock by the printer companies, we we are happy again with our printer.

I don't know that it helps you any, but I at least found our circular printer realization amusing. If laser jet works for your needs, that does sound like a pretty good way to go. Ours is just used for home/school.

Good Luck!
Old 10-08-2018   #9

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Thanks everyone for the input. It's a bummer that the concept of "new and improved" has disappeared from many commodity manufacturers.

I settled on a B&W Brother MFC-L2710DW laserjet printer since it seems like I've gotten by with B&W just fine for so long after unintentionally botching the color printing on my Epson (or having trouble with 3rd party inks). We'll see how this goes, but for the price of a full printer color + B&W refill that would print several hundred pages, I can get toner that'll print thousands of pages. This will also scan and copy with ADF. ...And it sounds really cool and prints really fast.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks again for the suggestions,

-AH
Old 10-14-2018   #10

Redmond, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1973
We finally gave up on the stash of ink cartridges we valued so highly.

Bought a Brother Laser (Black and White only.

MFC-L27000W.

It takes a cartridge that might scare you.

I couldn't believe how long I held out.

This is so cheap now.
BilloutWest is offline   Reply With Quote