PRETTY GOOD DEBATE - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-26-2008   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
PRETTY GOOD DEBATE

Well a little better debate than expected.I went in thinking Obama would slaughter him, and would have to admit it was close .I would call it a draw,they both scored many points.I would say it is sort of a win for McCain because he did better than expected.I doubt many minds were changed it was the same old arguments.I was disappointed that Obama is so McSame on many foreign policy issues,except Iraq and no preconditioned negotiations .It was pretty civil they got a little testy in spots but not that nasty.Obama interupted a little more. McCain had that republican smirk and mocking laugh going,universal republican trait apparently.Obama laughed at him once too.Overall good for our level of discourse.

Ever seen those Brittish Parliment DEBATES WHERE THE GUYS ARE ALL CLUSTERED AROUND TWO GUYS FACING OFF TALKING MAJOR INTELLECTUAL PARTISAN POLITICAL SMACK LACED WITH HIGH BROW SHIT TALKING ,GREAT STUFF.

cayo 2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2008   #2
Kayak/SUP Instructor

The High Ground, Colorado
Agreed - Draw.
Old 09-26-2008   #3
Self-Aggrandizing jackass

The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
Took me two hours to watch the debate, because I kept stopping the DVR to explain shiznizzle to the future Mrs. Helio. I missed the last 10 minutes because finally, the consumption of tequila caused me to fail my remote control roll (that's a DUngeons and Dragons reference to those of you who played: NOTE: I'm still drunk now admitting this) and changed channel without this shyit recorded.

What I saw- draw.

That favors the person ahead in the polls as of today.
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2008   #4

SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
Draw?

Didn't watch it but rather listened to it on FM radio.

Poor John McCain sounded tired, confused and overprimed with soundbites: he kept sputtering them out rather than responding to questions. As if his Rove-protege handlers had pumped him up too tight beforehand: a faded red balloon, going flat.

Obama sounded flustered at some points, perhaps by the astonishing untruth, cliché, evasion, and puffery that McCain was emitting. But he also sounded as if he was actually thinking about the questions and making an effort to address them.

Given the absolute mess that McCain's fellow Republicans (Bush II, Cheney) and their owners (Big Oil, Wall Street, War Profiteers) have made of virtually everything, we need most urgently a leader who can think on his feet, and cut through the crap. Obama is the Man.

McCain is proving, day by day, that he is either unwilling, by reason of desperate ambition, or simply not able to lead in any direction except the past.

Chip

I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that his justice cannot sleep forever. —Thomas Jefferson
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008   #5

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
I was surprised how well McCain did. I think he held his own with regards to the substance of his arguments, although I think he came off as condescending and testy. He kept repeating some of the tired lines. Both got lost in some of the policy details. My vote is 'Draw' as well, although the array of "undecided" polling seemed to trend pretty well towards Obama.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008   #6

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Interesting. I think McCain "won" the debate, though he too was weak. I was fairly astounded to see the CNN poll yesterday that showed Obama a clear winner. That wasn't the debate I saw.

McCain kept Obama on the defensive almost the entire debate. While his jabs were largely bullshit, Obama was on the ropes.

Overall, I found the debate mediocre at best. Lehrer did a valiant job trying to force some answers outta both, but they danced around 'em. The thing that pissed me off the most was Obama's unwillingness to get specific on which proposals would have to be cut in light of the financial crisis.

McCain was condescending and kept his angry old man smirk glued on for most of the "debate." Personally, I was looking for an Obama knock-out punch, but it never came.

McCain showed that his "strategy" for "winning" Iraq is mostly about him dealing with his own demons vis-a-vis Vietnam. He and many Republicans have been obsessed with the Vietnam defeat and have been engaging in dumbass wars since. Look at Grenada and Panama, two ridiculous "warlets" that were almost completely about snagging a "victory" to make people feel good about our military pre-eminince.

Grade: "C" for McCain, "C-" for Obama.
DurangoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008   #7

Golden, Colorado
McCain did better than I thought he would have. I actually learned more about his stance on the issues whereas I learned nothing new about Obama. Same old populist stuff he sells to the masses. Both were not very willing to go beyond the usual generalities but McCain did so more than Obama did.

God I wish Ron Paul or any of the third party candidates were in the debates to teach these limp dicks how to take a stand on something and sell it to the people. Isn't that what a leader is?

Agreed C for McCain, C- for Obama.
blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurangoSteve View Post
Interesting. I think McCain "won" the debate, though he too was weak. I was fairly astounded to see the CNN poll yesterday that showed Obama a clear winner. That wasn't the debate I saw.

Grade: "C" for McCain, "C-" for Obama.
For the first time ever --- Total Agreement.

Although I don't know why everyone is saying they were suprised by McCain's performance. Anyone who watched 10 minutes of the run-up to the debate heard all the analysts saying that while Obama is a stronger speech writer, McCain is the stronger debater.
kevintee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008   #9

Golden, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevintee View Post

Although I don't know why everyone is saying they were suprised by McCain's performance. Anyone who watched 10 minutes of the run-up to the debate heard all the analysts saying that while Obama is a stronger speech writer, McCain is the stronger debater.
I was suprised because he was a complete tool in the republican debates. I watched the republican debates wanting to like McCain because of his reputation as a maverik and came away deciding I probably won't vote in this election or vote for Obama for no better reason than to get this train wreck heading in a different direction for the next 4 years. I loved it when Ron Paul called McCain and Romney out for arguing for ten minutes on who said what when instead of answering the damn question.
blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008   #10

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevintee View Post

Let us savor this moment of unity, as it will likely slip away!

I had huge expectations of Obama and he simply didn't deliver. I had low expectations of McCain, and he exceeded them a little. I'm pretty unrealistic about the debates. I want them to give voters a clear view of the candidates. I want substantive issues to dominate, not "zingers" or tired stump speech soundbites. Apparently I'm kidding myself.
DurangoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote