Please help! - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-16-2009   #1

BV, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1982
Please help!

To my friends of the water,

The Town of Dillon is attempting to take away parking spaces and force the residents of Dillon Yacht Club Condos to park a 1/2-mile away from their homes. Their reason: they want to put in a bike path.
We have proposed numerous options, which would save millions in taxpayer dollars and not displace anyone. This includes making Gold Run Circle into a one-way street.
The Town of Dillon has forced us into litigation to fight for reasonable access to our property, thus spending our funds that were reserved for the exterior remodel planned this summer.

Please help us in our fight against government intrusion into our basic rights of reasonable access.

Contact Summit Daily News at:

Letters to the Editor
Alex Miller
Managing Editor, Summit Daily
(970) 668-4618
[email protected]

You donít need to be a resident or even reside in the state for that matter. We need a high volume of letters to get the attention of the community and elected officials. Please forward this email to anyone you feel would help.

Thank you for your support!
-Steve Delaney

BasinSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2009   #2

BV, Colorado
*****SAMPLE LETTER TO THE EDITOR******

Dear Editor Alex Miller,

The Town of Dillon is planning on extending the bike trail along Tenderfoot, turning left on Gold Run Circle, right past the Mayor Barbara Davis and Councilwoman Mary Forsythe’s homes and linking up with the Town of Dillon section. All of this will eliminate half of Dillon Yacht Club’s parking, thus drastically decreasing the value of each resident’s condo.

The Town of Dillon claims it is taking back land that is theirs. DYC was built approximately 45 years ago and approved by the Town of Dillon. It sounds like the problem is with the Town of Dillon and the developer. Why didn’t the town disclose this to the residents? Had many known the town was going to destroy their investment they never would have purchased.

There is a perfect solution that is a win-win for everyone. Make Gold Run Circle a one-way street. It would resolve the parking situation for Dillon Yacht Club and save the taxpayers millions of dollars! There would be no need to widen the road and install a bike path beside it. Instead, the town could use the existing road, using one lane for cars and one for bikes.

Driving around Gold Run Circle takes 40 seconds to complete the loop. Is 40 seconds so important to the wealthy residents on Gold Run Circle that they would choose to hurt the 150+ residents residing at Dillon Yacht Club?

Dillon Yacht Club is not and upscale condominium complex; however, it is home to 150+ hard-working taxpayers who deserve their basic right of reasonable access to their property.

Kind Regards,
Steve Delaney
Old 04-16-2009   #3
Owner: Class 5 Carvings

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I guess I cannot picture the area, I have spent a ton of time over there, but I also don't see the town just taking private land like parking spots. Personally I think exercise is good, walk a block, let people ride on a new bike path, put in under ground parking.

Usually the town will have to go through public hearings where you can go voice your opinion on the matter, especially since they tend to use your tax dollars to make these types of improvements. As far as your HOA fees going to build the bike path instead of updating the exterior of the building, maybe it's your HOA deciding to take out the parking to put in the bike path, giving the head of the HOA a call, or going to the meetings may be a good place to start your protest to what they are trying to do.

Good luck, and in the worst case senario, you have a new bike path near by.
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2009   #4

BV, Colorado
I am the President of the HOA. Our condos sit right on the lake surrounded by multi-million dollar homes; including Mayor Barbara Davis and Councilwoman Mary Forsythe's. The average value of a condo at DYC is $250K. I would hope you can see where this is going. The public hearing was held on a Saturday night at 9 p.m.
It comes down the property seizure through eminent domain. There is plenty of room for a bike trail without altering our parking lot but the town wishes to diminish our property value.
In the next few days the Summit Daily will be writing a feature story on this issue.
Old 04-16-2009   #5

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Send a message via AIM to craven_morhead
Just to be clear, the connection between the DYC and MountainBuzz is that both whitwater kayakers and sailors use boats?
craven_morhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009   #6

BV, Colorado
I am an avid whitewater enthusiast, just like most everyone else on here.
I use the lake out back to practice my rolls.
Old 04-16-2009   #7
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
you can thank Andy H for opening up the buzz to the WWW for ALL to enjoy for people like this

this shit never would have been clogging up the old board
Old 04-16-2009   #8
Owner: Class 5 Carvings

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I don't think the town just is out for you guys, and wants to ruin property values, towns like property values to go up, not down. Why is HOA money being spent on a community project?

Like I said, good luck, bummer news, maybe you should organize a protest with other home owners, not just a letter to the editor of the summit.
Old 04-16-2009   #9

BV, Colorado
If you read my post, HOA money is being spent on litigation. Taxpayer money is being spent on the bike trail.
Old 04-16-2009   #10

BV, Colorado
Protest is Saturday at the pre-construction meeting at the Dillon Town Hall. I am just asking for some support via the media. That's all.