Pirates!!! - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-15-2009   #1

Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
Pirates!!!

Obama wants to create a "pirate task force".....or something of the like. Seriously???? Probably millions of dollars dedicated.

I've been behind the dude (quickly diminishing), I voted for him because I believed in "change". Someone please explain to me how the ridiculous spending is going to change this country.

Seems like a pretty easy fix to me. ARM THE SHIPS!!! Put a few AK's or .50 cal's on the boats and I'll guarantee the pirates in their little 24' john boats won't be "taking over" MEGA-ships.

OH NO!!! That doesn't coincide with the presidents "gun control" agenda so the taxpayers will just spend MILLIONS instead.

Not sure how it's all going to shake out......but that's what it sounds like to me.

GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2009   #2

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
Arr

I wondered why ships did not have some armed guards on them. Then I learned that most foreign ports do not allow merchant ships to carry arms. So it is a non starter. Either all foreign ports will have to allow guns (not bloody likely!), or some other method will have to be employed. I have heard of a electric fence that would be employed around the sides of the ships, make it a lethal voltage and after pirates get fried and fall into the ocean, it might detour them!
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009   #3
Kjirsten

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
But a lethal voltage would be unethical, Snowhere! According to Rush Limbaugh those pirates were just kids who were hungry and wanted to go home.

President Obama Ordered the Killing of Three Black Muslim Kids

It's OK to invade, occupy a country indefinitely, and kill thousands of its civilians for the possibility that that country has weapons with which it could potentially attack the US, but it's not OK to rescue a real person from an entity known to have attacked a US ship and taken a US citizen hostage at the expense of the poor kidnappers' lives. Unbelievable.
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2009   #4

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
Yikes! That is true, the ethical part so I retract the lethal voltage. So now it should just knock them out and if the fall and drown because their fellow pirates don't save them, it will be a more ethical (barely) situation.

I can't beleive the great Windbag himself would champion the pirates, but I guess I should not be surprised at anything that oozes out if him!
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009   #5

Weyers Cave, Virginia
Paddling Since: 2001
Send a message via AIM to Slunk
A few strategically placed automated Claws of Archimedes on a ship should be quite effective against all but the largest pirate craft and would look fairly innocuous in ports and such compared to a boat bristling with heavy weaponry...
Slunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009   #6

Durango, Colorado
The Somali piracy thing is out of control. While it concerns me that there's talk of military action onshore to take out their bases, I think a few more successes like the SEALS and the French commandos have had will help. Somalia is a mess, and land operations there would be crazy.

Here's an interesting device that's worked at least once against the pirates: the LRAD, a $30,000 "sonic cannon." It was used successfully by a cruise ship last fall.

The Weapon of Sound: Sonic Canon Gives Pirates an Earful - SPIEGEL ONLINE - News - International
Old 04-15-2009   #7

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Why do we always resort to violence, why are they robbing the ships in the first place? How come weapons are always the answer?

What we need to do is fix the cause not the effect.
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009   #8

Duhrango
Hell... here's what they need to arm those ships with. Just wait till they get a little bit closer and let loose. Just over 4000 rounds per minute. That ought to sink those little pirate boats and everything in them.
Old 04-15-2009   #9

Florence, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jensjustduckie View Post
Why do we always resort to violence, why are they robbing the ships in the first place? How come weapons are always the answer?

BWAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! Good one Jen!

Uhh...we tried that in the early '90s, remember? The UN didn't have the sack to stick it out after a few of their Pakistani's ended up on the wrong end of a machete. Clinton didn't have the balls to stick it out either. So much for altruism.

I have been to both, and I'll say that Somalia makes Afghanistan look like high society. That place is total Mad Max. I say keep the battle on the water.
TimberTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009   #10

Durango, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jensjustduckie View Post

Our original experience in Somalia was a "humanitarian mission" launched by Bush Sr. Then "Blackhawk Down" happened early in Clinton's administration. I would say there's zero appetite for trying to fix that failed state... even though that is what needs to be done. It's a sad situation that we aren't going to fix. You're right. We (and the rest of the developed world that relies on shipping past Somalia) will probably continue to deal with the results of their chaos rather than the causes.

I agree that violence is a shitty "solution," but I also won't shed any tears for dead pirates.