Paying your taxes is patriotic. - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-02-2009   #1
Kayak/SUP Instructor

The High Ground, Colorado
Paying your taxes is patriotic.

"Obama press Secretary Robert Gibbs on Daschle: "The president believes that nobody is perfect, but that nobody is trying to hide anything.""

Daschle should be replaced by this Nobody guy. He sounds perfect for the job.

We all now know that only the little people (i.e. those not nominated by Obama to serve in his administration) pay all their taxes.

Is this the change we were asked to believe in?

Happy Monday.

Advertisement

Old 02-02-2009   #2
Self-Aggrandizing jackass

The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
And giving all your money away makes it easy to get into heaven.

Fortunately, we are all born sinners in the eyes of your god, and forgiveness is divine.
Old 02-02-2009   #3
Kayak/SUP Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by heliodorus04 View Post
And giving all your money away makes it easy to get into heaven.

Fortunately, we are all born sinners in the eyes of your god, and forgiveness is divine.
Maybe Wesley Snipes should have used that defense in his tax evasion trial....not so much.

Leona Helmsley was right, "Only the little people pay taxes."
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2009   #4
Kayak/SUP Instructor

Joe the Plumber was thrashed over owing $1,200 in state taxes. Remember that?

I remember when Spiro Agnew was forced from the 2nd highest office in the land for not paying taxes on $29,500. Times have changed.

Perhaps this is some wickedly ingenious plan Obama has to balance the budget. Nominate tax cheats and shame them into paying.
Old 02-02-2009   #5

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Jeez, Theo, you are ragging on someone for not paying taxes? Uhm, let me remind you of a post you made quite recently...
Quote:
For now on I'll stick to investing in the underground economy and the black market where my money is safe from thieves.
Theo the Pot, meet Tom Daschle the Kettle.

I am one of those "little people" to whom you alluded... who thinks it is "patriotic" to pay your fair share of taxes. Since you are a patriotic guy, I'm sure you are paying taxes on your underground economy/black market deals, right?
Old 02-02-2009   #6

The Ranch, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophilus View Post
Joe the Plumber was thrashed over owing $1,200 in state taxes. Remember that?

Perhaps this is some wickedly ingenious plan Obama has to balance the budget. Nominate tax cheats and shame them into paying.
Joe the Plumber was not criticized by ME, at least. And your second part is clever and funny (from the 'credit where it's due' file).

I think Geithner and Daschle should be disqualified. I'm more inclined to forgive Geithner than Daschle. But given teh position Geithner is now filling, it's inexcusable.

Remember that with Agnew, as with Capone, they may have proved the tax charges, but the real deal was much more nefarious (and more difficult to prove at trial).

Yes, Obama has been a disappointing hypocrite with Geithner and Daschle. Point taken and well made.
Old 02-02-2009   #7
Kayak/SUP Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurangoSteve View Post
Jeez, Theo, you are ragging on someone for not paying taxes? Uhm, let me remind you of a post you made quite recently...
Theo the Pot, meet Tom Daschle the Kettle.

I am one of those "little people" to whom you alluded... who thinks it is "patriotic" to pay your fair share of taxes. Since you are a patriotic guy, I'm sure you are paying taxes on your underground economy/black market deals, right?
I didn't pay taxes when I was kid mowing lawns either. That money was taxed by the people who actually earned it. You want to be really outraged? We had a garage sale last year and didn't report it as income. SHOCKING isn't it?

A man who’s a 100+K in arrears in only taxes can afford a CPA. I can see it now. Paying taxes is just too hard to figure out. Sure if you're rich you can go to H&R block and they can figure it out in less than a day but what are the poor supposed to do? <-joke>

“Make no mistake, tax cheaters cheat us all, and the IRS should enforce our laws to the letter. ” Sen. Tom Daschle, Congressional Record, May 7, 1998
Old 02-02-2009   #8
Kayak/SUP Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by heliodorus04 View Post
Remember that with Agnew, as with Capone, they may have proved the tax charges, but the real deal was much more nefarious (and more difficult to prove at trial).
I forgot that he also failed to report the bribes he received as income on his tax return.
Old 02-02-2009   #9

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Helio - I agree with you that Geithner and Daschle should be nixed. TurboTax, my ass!

Regarding Agnew... he was charged with extortion, tax fraud and bribery and ultimately plead nolo to tax evasion. Hardly comparable to either Geithner or Daschle, Theo.
Old 02-02-2009   #10

The Ranch, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophilus View Post
I forgot that he also failed to report the bribes he received as income on his tax return.
Correct me if I"m wrong, but isn't that done under the 'legal cover' of lobbying (i.e. free speech)?

I personally appreciate giving lip service to distinctions between letter of law issues and spirit of law issues.