gh

pnw, Colorado
Paul Ryan discussion

Ryan's controversial Social Security plan he doesn't discuss - Aug. 14, 2012

Advertisement

Old 08-14-2012   #2
swimming

conifer, Colorado

Gh, I take it you side with the Democats continuing the state quo of social security and medicaid being bankrupt in the next 15 years.

I'd love to her Obama and the Dems alternate plan(birds chirping), they have none!
mr. compassionate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012   #3
gh

pnw, Colorado
I give him credit that he did put out a plan. I am happy that someone did. I dont agree with SS being privatized and I think tweaks are a better idea.
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2012   #4
gh

pnw, Colorado
This is what I am interested in.

Reagan Budget Director: Paul Ryan

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/01/op...pagewanted=all
Old 08-14-2012   #5
swimming

conifer, Colorado
Tweaks won't help. The only way to truly take care of the problem is to index the age of retirement to the average age of death somewhere around 78 or 79. This was how the program worked when first instituted as the average life expectancy was 65 back then.

People were expected to work to the end of the average life span back then.
Old 08-14-2012   #6
gh

pnw, Colorado
and this

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/14/op...dget-plan.html
Old 08-14-2012   #7
swimming

conifer, Colorado
I'd rather have a fairty tale vs. the current administrations horror movie as far as the budget and debt goes.

GH, what about a compromise reducing all government by 2% per year for everything for say 5 years. Cut defense as well as social programs. You can't tell me you agree with 50 million people on direct govt subisidies and 150 million paying no taxes at all do you?
Old 08-14-2012   #8

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. compassionate View Post
150 million paying no taxes at all
You're not that ignorant, are you?
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012   #9

NorCal, California
Paddling Since: 91
Bingo and that's the problem with the ryan budget is that it basically leaves defense (20% of the budget) untouched and only addressed SS and medicare. It also gives more unfunded tax cuts to the wealthy. How about all the above cut SS, Medicare and Defense AND give a modest tax increase to the wealthy. That way everyone feels the pain not just the poor and middle class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. compassionate View Post
I'd rather have a fairty tale vs. the current administrations horror movie as far as the budget and debt goes.

GH, what about a compromise reducing all government by 2% per year for everything for say 5 years. Cut defense as well as social programs. You can't tell me you agree with 50 million people on direct govt subisidies and 150 million paying no taxes at all do you?
Wavester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012   #10

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Yup. 150 million not paying taxes. Bear in mind, 80 million citizens today are under 18 and pay little or no taxes and it's normal. Add on another 20 million over 70 paying little or no taxes. So, there's your 50 million leaching off the system, never mind how many of those 50 million, right now, are making little or no income due to unemployment. The thing with numbers is that unless you qualify them they really don't have any meaning. I don't think anyone suggests that the welfare state isn't ideal nor would I dare to say that people don't abuse welfare, but social security isn't the problem. The problem is that people want to blame social security or get rid of it based on principles, not because it's insolvent. Social security isn't broken because of itself, it's broken because we reprioritized it in the national debate. Social security suffers because of many factors including baby boomers, massive spending in other areas, and a general lack of tax revenue because of the massive unemployment leading to massive revenue shortage.

Social Security History FAQs Internet Myths II