partially amputated my hand, and feeling down - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > The Eddy

Old 12-06-2009   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
partially amputated my hand, and feeling down

hey guys what's up? its been a while since i've been on, and i'm looking for some moral support/advice please. I've been kayaking for 2 years now my first was mostly play boating, and just this summer i started to get more into creeking, i currently live in ny, and one of my favorite runs probably has to be the independence at 700cfs or so... and 2 weeks ago i had a major major accident involving getting nudged while using a band saw. I cut all of the tendons nerves, and ligaments on the palm side of hand including the radial and ulner, i also cutmy ulner artery... The Drs say that i might see 10% sensation and 20% range of motion... i'm afraid that i might not be able to manipulate my finers, and hand enough to be able to hold a paddle again. Any ideas? my friend said he's seen a couple play boaters with one hand but idk... im greatful to be alive, and still have my hand most deffinately, i'm just worried that one of the things i like/love to do(creeking) will be next to nill. Someone said that there are all sorts of orthopedic braces out there as well? does any suggestions?

jeremy_warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2009   #2
gh

pnw, Colorado
Very sorry to hear about your injury. I would look at this thread https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...ury-27625.html
and then the blog that he has. I think you can find some inspiration there and best of luck with your recovery.
Old 12-06-2009   #3

Denver, Colorado
Thanks man, yeah... Seeing his injuries i'm 100% greatful that i'm lucky to not only be alive but that it was able to be saved
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2009   #4

SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
Big shock, to get hurt like that. Especially when it's not your fault.

Once you heal up and get restless, there'll be things you can't do. Frustrating. But figuring what you can do and how to do it best should be a pretty absorbing challenge.

There are things I could do, some time ago, and would be crazy to try now. Getting older gives you a natural perspective on that sort of change. Getting hurt forces it on you, but the common element is the wisdom that results from having to weigh your skills in a hard and realistic way.

You might end up ahead of most boaters in that regard.
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009   #5

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
If you have insurance, definitely go find a rehab medicine doctor to talk to. They can do pretty amazing things with physical therapy and the like. One helped my friend out a bunch when she messed up her back in a car crash. At the least they might help you better understand what your potential limitations will be. Worth looking into.

Good luck with all of this. Its a really sucky situation.
Demosthenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009   #6

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demosthenes View Post
If you have insurance, definitely go find a rehab medicine doctor to talk to. They can do pretty amazing things with physical therapy and the like. One helped my friend out a bunch when she messed up her back in a car crash. At the least they might help you better understand what your potential limitations will be. Worth looking into.

Good luck with all of this. Its a really sucky situation.
no insurance, no medicaid... I sold my land rover, im selling my skis, my 3 boats all my paddling equip, and i sold my landrover for $1000 for the downpayment on surgery, i'm still 120+k im debt hospital room was 30,000 plus another 10,000 for the night it happened(was transferred to upstate) and another 8,000 at samaritan, plus the air lift from watertown to Syracuse will be pretty close to 50k, and then i still have another surgery. my therapist said i'll be lucky to hold a pencil again let a lone a paddle, but i'm alive right?
Old 12-07-2009   #7
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_warner View Post
no insurance, no medicaid... I sold my land rover, im selling my skis, my 3 boats all my paddling equip, and i sold my landrover for $1000 for the downpayment on surgery, i'm still 120+k im debt hospital room was 30,000 plus another 10,000 for the night it happened(was transferred to upstate) and another 8,000 at samaritan, plus the air lift from watertown to Syracuse will be pretty close to 50k, and then i still have another surgery. my therapist said i'll be lucky to hold a pencil again let a lone a paddle, but i'm alive right?
ok so seriously in any other developed country in the world this would not be something you are indebted for life for. everyone who thinks public health care is bad but paying trillions for useless wars ought to be sent on the useless war with no health care from the military.

jeremy. if you like, I can help you setup a paypal for donations and a facebook/blog page for your story. I know you may be reluctant to ask for help so I'll volunteer to ask for you. the boating community may be poor overall but we look out for each other right?
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009   #8

Little Village, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
VERY cool offer, Mania. Jeremy, you should take him up on it. Good luck with this horrible situation. Our "healthcare system" is not lacking in impressive skill, just compassion.
Old 12-08-2009   #9

Denver, Colorado
maniac, thank you so much for the offer, that means alot. I've talked to my buddy at mtn man outdoors up here, and he said that they'd give me some stellar deals, which is pretty cool of them it shows that the boating community, and 'small shops' take care of their customers. I just got back from pt, and a post op check up they did an ultra sound took out my stitches, and they're calling for a skin grapht and after rehabbing my hand they want to cut me open again(just lovely) and if the tendons/nerves have scarred together, cut them apart so i'll have better motor function. it's a crappy deal but looking at tony m i wish i could help him out, but i'm in about the same situation, just 21 and jobless though. i did fill out my disability, and medicaid paper work, but they won't pay for my fuel(i drive 150 miles a day 3 days a week), and they won't reimburse what i've already paid. But i'm still very lucky, i got out of the hospital thanksgiving day, and grantted i was pretty woozyand miserable i had alot to be thankful for as i arrived at the restraunt with a pair of sweat pants a t-shirt and a gown lol.

But thank you all that have replied, i'm truly greatful for maniacs offer, and your guys support. I plan on doing a few pool sessions in february(therapist okayed it) with the custom hand paddle i'm making , pretty much a hand paddle, but it splints all the way up my fore arm(for greater stability) and this should be interesting to say the least.
Old 12-11-2009   #10

Hey Jeremy,

Really sorry to hear about the accident. Just wanted to say hang in there man! Sounds like you're trying to keep a positive outlook on things considering the circumstances. Keep your head up, things generally have a way of working out in the long run. If you have a chance email me your address.

Charlie C.
[email protected]
caliproduct is offline   Reply With Quote