Palin is.... QUALIFIED! - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-23-2008   #1

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Palin is.... QUALIFIED!

By Cynthia Tucker

Some members of the chattering classes -- pinot-swilling, arugula-chomping snobs -- seem to think Sarah Palin is not qualified to be vice president. Well, that's not fair.

Any thorough study of Palin's record reveals that she has modeled her style of governance after Dick Cheney, whose authoritarian principles of leadership rely heavily on lying, secrecy and vindictiveness. Though Palin's public career has been much shorter than Cheney's, she has nevertheless shown a genuine flair for those same traits -- telling lie after lie to conceal her misdeeds from public view and trying to destroy those who dare disagree with her. She has proven a quick study of the Sith lord.

And Palin has tools in her arsenal that the grumpy Cheney lacks: She's a charming and attractive woman, with legions of loyal supporters willing to yell "Sexism!" whenever her record is questioned or her credentials challenged. It's a brazen claim for conservatives, who didn't even believe in sexism -- they dismissed it as "the politics of victimization" -- until a few weeks ago.

Now, it's true that not many politicians have mastered the fine arts of manipulation and mendacity as well as Cheney has. But Palin has a gift for dissembling with a straight face, even when she's called on it.
In her national debut -- her well-received acceptance speech -- she claimed that she had said "thanks but no thanks" to the infamous Bridge to Nowhere, a line she has repeated on the stump. But she was for it before she was against it; when she ran for governor in 2006, she supported the project, which would have linked the town of Ketchikan, population 7,500, to an airport on Gravina Island.
"We need to come to the defense of Southeast Alaska when proposals are on the table like the bridge and not allow spinmeisters to turn this project or any other into something that's so negative," she said two years ago. She dropped her support only when the issue became radioactive, instead using the money for a different Alaska project.

Her claim to a history of fighting earmarks is similarly fabricated. As mayor of the small town of Wasilla, she hired a lobbyist to bring home the pork, a move which paid off spectacularly. For a couple of years during her tenure, the town received more than $1,000 per person in earmarks. (In 2008, the average state received about $50 per person.)

Her public image as a moderate politician who respects dissent is also, well, largely apocryphal. Early in her tenure as mayor of Wasilla, Palin showed she knew how to fight dirty and vanquish her opponents. She succeeded, eventually, in running off the popular Wasilla librarian, who didn't take kindly to the mayor's inquiries about banning books. Palin fired the city attorney when he issued a stop-work order on a home being built by one of her campaign supporters, according to The New York Times.

As governor, Palin stepped up her game, cloaking her actions in secrecy, using private e-mail accounts to shield her official communications from public records and putting a premium on loyalty among her staff. And she has used every Cheney-like maneuver at her disposal to try to quash an official investigation into charges that she improperly fired Walt Monegan, former state commissioner of public safety, because he refused to do Palin's bidding -- firing her ex-brother-in-law, state trooper Mike Wooten, who had been through a nasty divorce from Palin's sister.

Last week, Dan Fagan, a conservative talk radio host in Anchorage, took Palin to task in a column in the Anchorage Daily News, reminding readers that "eight Republicans and four Democrats" launched the independent investigation earlier this year.

"My fellow conservatives, remember how frustrating it was when Bill Clinton committed perjury and liberals looked the other way. As conservatives, we are no better unless we demand full disclosure from our governor when it comes to Troopergate. No politician is so popular and charismatic that they should be above accountability and telling the truth. Not even Sarah Palin."

Palin begs to disagree. She's read the playbook, and, like the current vice president, she believes she's above the law. Who says she's not qualified to fill Cheney's shoes?

DurangoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2008   #2

Florence, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Bravo! I was hoping that the lame attempt to link Bush-Cheney-McCain wouldn't end at that witty twist on words "John McSame". We now have an even lamer attempt to link Palin and Cheney in this article. OMG! She has a private email account!!!!

Will somebody please come up with a really funny nickname for the Palin-Cheney hybrid?
TimberTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008   #3
Self-Aggrandizing jackass

The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
TT, if you're fine with the way this Executive Branch has administered and expanded its power, I'm sure you love Sarah Palin. She's very much like Cheney in her contempt for transparency, and speaking for myself, I've seen enough to prove to me that she has no compunction about using the power of her political position in a vindictive way against those she deems as insufficiently "supportive".

I consider your indifference to such issues an indictment of your credibility, and of course, I'm certain you don't care a whit for my thoughts or opinions.
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2008   #4

Florence, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by heliodorus04 View Post
TT, if you're fine with the way this Executive Branch has administered and expanded its power, I'm sure you love Sarah Palin. She's very much like Cheney in her contempt for transparency, and speaking for myself, I've seen enough to prove to me that she has no compunction about using the power of her political position in a vindictive way against those she deems as insufficiently "supportive".

I consider your indifference to such issues an indictment of your credibility, and of course, I'm certain you don't care a whit for my thoughts or opinions.
I find some of your posts interesting, but I could give a shit less what you think of me personally. Personal attacks are easy, but they really detract from the discussion.
TimberTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008   #5

Durango, Colorado
While in Kentucky over the weekend I saw a telling yardsign.

Quote:
Sara!

McCain/Palin
The "base" is free-basing Palin. Apparently "Gramps McSame" just doesn't motivate them.
Old 09-24-2008   #6
Kjirsten

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Especially funny is that they spelled her first name wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurangoSteve View Post
While in Kentucky over the weekend I saw a telling yardsign.

The "base" is free-basing Palin. Apparently "Gramps McSame" just doesn't motivate them.
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008   #7

Durango, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakemetotheRiver View Post
Especially funny is that they spelled her first name wrong.
Actually, that was my screw up. The sign read: Sarah!
Old 09-25-2008   #8

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
maybe Cheney was the pitbull they were comparing her to in the lipstick quote.I am working on the hybridized name thing,thanx for the suggestion TT, so far all i've come up with is face shot and moosedick,i'll try harder.

The correct spelling in Kentucky is Seruh.

caribou moosedick? .. no ..um .. ah ..er
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008   #9

Durango, Colorado
Repubs TURNING on Palin

Kathleen Parker, contributor to that "Eastern Liberal Media Elite" rag National Review, has suggested that Sarah Palin drop out of the race.

Quote:
Palinís recent interviews with Charles Gibson, Sean Hannity, and now Katie Couric have all revealed an attractive, earnest, confident candidate. Who Is Clearly Out Of Her League.

No one hates saying that more than I do. Like so many women, Iíve been pulling for Palin, wishing her the best, hoping she will perform brilliantly. Iíve also noticed that I watch her interviews with the held breath of an anxious parent, my finger poised over the mute button in case it gets too painful. Unfortunately, it often does. My cringe reflex is exhausted.
Old 09-27-2008   #10
Self-Aggrandizing jackass

The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
I dunno know who Ed Schultz is to know whether he would be biased or plain make shiznizzle up, but if this is true, for me personally, it says a lot about John McCain's ability to make sound decisions in complex matters:

Link:
The Ed Schultz Show
Quote:
McCain Camp insiders say Palin "clueless"
Quote:
Capitol Hill sources are telling me that senior McCain people
are more than concerned about Palin.

The campaign has held a mock debate and a mock press conference; both are being described as "disastrous." One senior McCain aide was quoted as saying, "What are we going to do?" The McCain people want to move this first debate to some later, undetermined date, possibly never. People on the inside are saying the Alaska Governor is "clueless."
Nearly a month after choosing Palin, she's not up to speed.
She was chosen because she excites the theocratic base, and, I think, because John "never blink" McCain thought a partner with a uterus would draw independents with uteri or who vote on the MILF factor.

To me, John McCain is a hothead who doesn't think about things beyond rudimentary emotional black-and-whites. I don't want him playing with the economy, with Iran, with Russia, or any other big-boy issues.