Paddlers and Motorcycles - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-14-2006   #1

Geologist, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Paddlers and Motorcycles

I remember that there is a significant number of boaters that have motorcycles. I would love some feedback from you all--

I am looking into buying an enduro bike. Mostly I want a commuter bike to drive Denver-Golden each day to save gas, but I also want something that I can take on the trails. I am not a big trail rider, but when I was a kid, I loved climbing hills and just riding around the mountains on a XR80. A big thing is also money.....I don't want to spend more than $1500. The options I have looked at are the Suzuki DR350 and DR200. I am probably going to go look at a Honda NX 250 today. This guy has a 1988 Honda NX250 with 25,000 miles on it. He wants $1200 but I am going to offer him $800. Is that bike too old?

There is also a 1999 DR350 with 7100 miles but he wants $2100....do you think i should think about this one...I would really like to keep the price down. Thanks

jonny water is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2006   #2

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Hey man,

I cant really comment on bike values. I have a DRZ 400 which is great just enough power to get me anywhere I want too. Without being too pricey.

What I also wanted to mention to you are the trailer hitch extentions that allow you to hang a motorcycle off of the back of your Truck/SUV. This has been super cool to have for setting up shuttle. So keep about 250 aside for that as it is a good investment to go along with your bike.

Good luck on finding a good bike. A good link to try to get better recomendations maybe www.thumpertalk.com.

ben
benrodda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006   #3

Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
jonny,

the dr is OK at both road/trail but also not that great at either... if you know what I am saying.

I would make the decision if you are looking more for a road or trail bike, and then go from there.

I ride a WR450, and it is street legal. That would be my first choice for you (maybe the older version WR400 due to cost), but it is much more leaning towards trail.

If your looking for more street. A honda XR650L would be a good choice, or again... the DR. DRZ's are more trail oriented.

Bottom line, I would be looking to spend a bit more money if I were you. Nothing is cool when it breaks down on yeah... but with motorcycles it's usually worse. My theory is to save up and get something clean/well taken care of/reliable.

If I were to put a $ amount to that... it would start around 2500.00

my 2c
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2006   #4

I got a 2000 wr400f that I really like. It's street legal too, as long as I don't get pulled over. You should be able to find a wr400-426 in your price range. Prolly be a little beat up at that price but the engines are solid and the forks and shocks can be rebuilt cheap.
mescalimick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006   #5

Wydaho, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1996
Ditto on what everyone else has said. I have a DRZ400, not street legal but have ridden a street legal version. It is light enough for offroad riding, and can run at highway speeds....though not as much fun as my Triumph 900 Spend the extra money to get a bike you can count on!

Doug
dvanhouten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006   #6
Owner: Class 5 Carvings

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Check out the old honda XR bikes. They are cheap and will run forever. I had a 1986 XR250 with headlights, speedo, tail lights and it was legal to ride everywhere. The plus is its fairly light and smaller than most of the other bikes your looking at so on the trails it handles a bit better. Thats my 2 cents. Also if you want a killer price and a bike that hasent been beat up look in the chicago tribune classifides. I grew up there and people drop their old bikes for nothing and since there isnt much to ride there they are in perfect shape. Just have them ship is for a hundred bucks or so. Always an option
Paul the Kayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006   #7
Owner: Class 5 Carvings

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Check out the old honda XR bikes. They are cheap and will run forever. I had a 1986 XR250 with headlights, speedo, tail lights and it was legal to ride everywhere. The plus is its fairly light and smaller than most of the other bikes your looking at so on the trails it handles a bit better. Thats my 2 cents. Also if you want a killer price and a bike that hasent been beat up look in the chicago tribune classifides. I grew up there and people drop their old bikes for nothing and since there isnt much to ride there they are in perfect shape. Just have them ship is for a hundred bucks or so. Always an option
Paul the Kayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006   #8

I have an xr650l. I wiegh like 185, 6foot 1inch tall.

Heres what I have found, Rented DR 350's in costa rica with friends. I find the DR's are less quality and break easier but they are light and fun and we were able to go anywhere we wanted including down the beach hammered one night

Pro's - light, fun, cheap to buy
cons- not as hardy, to small for highways

My xr650l is great on the highway under 75mph. If you are driving on the highway alot then get one. any 1996 or above is ok so should be able to find one under 2500 bucks. The thing is useless on the trails unless you want to go on dirt roads. it weighs in somewhere around 550 lbs and is hard to throw around at my wieght. Theres a good chance I will hurt myself this year on it lol. I have had it fallen over alot and its a bitch to pick up alone on a steep hill. I had to drag it for a while to a gully to get it back up on a steep dirt hill once. But no broken parts to this day!!

pros - good on highways, solid hardy bike.
cons - more expensive, heavy for dirt, hard to throw around.

I think since you are in colorado you should get a bike that is made for dirt and convert it for street. What I have found about enduro's is that you sacrefice things. Its not great on the road and its not great on the dirt, it just allows you to do a little of both.

If your on the highway 80% of the time then xr650l or dr 450+ or kawasaki 650, that hunter green one.
If your taking roads not highway then I say dr 350 or wr450 -400 would be good, and still fun in the dirt.

If I had it to do again I would get a CR by honda and convert it to street so when I get in the dirt I can rip. I just feel the xr650l is a dam tank and the dr350 is to small and lacks balls. those are the two I am most familiar with. I have a friend with the wr 450 and he swears by it, but he doesnt take it on I-70 like I do with my xr.

Good luck and just remember getting one is the first step. Its impossible to not have fun on it. So I would say buy the best deal you can find and worry about upgrading later on.

The cons of the wr bikes is that they are not that old so prices are still kinda high.

Bottom line if I planned 50% dirt 50% street no interstates I would find a an xr400 because they are the cream of the crop.
http://www.bikepics.com/pics/pics/ho...pics-39359.jpg

or a cheaper wr400-450

Next choice would be
DRZ 400 (street legal) http://www.bikepics.com/pics/pics/su...pics-38188.jpg

But I find the DR's are to small for my likings and hieght.

Good luck mate
Jobu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006   #9

I have a DR650. Mint for sale..1500...
bshack93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006   #10

The KLR has been in production for 20 so years.
Likes dirt roads minor trails and long distance.

Regardless what you select craiglist has some smokin deals.[/img]
boulderite is offline   Reply With Quote