OT: F you bush - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-27-2005   #1

Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
OT: F you bush

Sorry, I'm not generally much of a political buzzer, but this pisses me off as a kayaker.

Record oil profits:

http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/business/...00010000000001

and the quote of the day: "there has to come a day when a box is not somebody's home" - Ben Harper

Joe

JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2005   #2

Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Maybe you should buy stock in the oil companies.
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005   #3

Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
"Democracy ensures that the people get exactly the government they deserve." I can't remember who said that, maybe Marx (not Groucho). But when you elect oil execs to head up your gubment, their cronies are going to rake it in. Of course I hate the fact that my hard earned dollars are lining the pockets of some fat bastard in a suit that costs more than my car, but what can we do? I guess we should all go find somebody that voted for the shrub and kick them SQUAW in the nuts.
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2005   #4

Da Fort, Colorado
Amen brother.
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005   #5

Local, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to paddlebizzle
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteLightning
Maybe you should buy stock in the oil companies.
I agree with Dave. I'm a Bush-hater like the best of 'em, but you're talking about oil companies which were profitable long before Bush could walk. As long as you turn on your lights, heat your food, and drive your car/truck/motorcycle, you use oil.

There are in fact windfall taxes in place to penalize companies like Exxon and Marathon Oil which reap huge profits. The US Senate is in fact considering enforcing the windfall tax in light of recent events in New Orleans and Florida.

Solution: Instead of spending $100.00 bucks at the bar this weekend, save the money and buy some stock and ride the wave. Then you can take the money you made on the dividends and buy more kayak gear.
paddlebizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005   #6

don't forget your kayak is made of plastic, a petrochemical, which is derived from oil.
mdre21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005   #7

Denver, Colorado
Let's not forget about the consumer who demands all of this oil. "I want my cheap gas, my cheap plane tickets, my cheap kayak." Don't blame the hand that feeds your addictions.

Maybe us consumers as a whole need to wake up and start demanding better alternatives. This little oil hike made people start to realize that, "Houston we might have a problem." Unfortunately, I think it will take a REAL oil crisis for people to completely wake up.
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005   #8

Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Dude, as soon as there's a real energy crisis the gubment will give us the alien technology they've been sitting on since the 50s. They just want to milk all they can out of petroleum because it's more profitable than other energy sources. Nobody makes money off the sun...or alien cold fusion.

Oh, and don't forget the petroleum jelly you use to wax your rocket, that wouldn't be possible without oil, either. Give me a break. My point obviously was that if the oil companies are making such outrageous profits -- unprecedented in the history of free enterprise -- then maybe I shouldn't be paying $3/gal at the pump. It just proves that they use any natural disaster or mid-east quagmire as an excuse to rape and pillage. But that's capitalism for you.

The only silver lining is that the bastard driving the seven seater SUV is eating even more shit than me. That, at least, makes me smile.
Old 10-28-2005   #9

Local, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to paddlebizzle
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdre21
don't forget your kayak is made of plastic, a petrochemical, which is derived from oil.
True. I guess that means you are indirectly supporting in the kayaking industry by investing in oil companies. Bizarre!
paddlebizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005   #10

Denver, Colorado
bastard, who are you directing you post at?

If directed at me...I have only made a simple observation, don't take it so personal. I am not trying to attack or put down your ideas.

And, yes I am a consumer who loves the low prices created by capitalism.

But hey, it looks like you have it all figured out, so no need to argue.
marko is offline   Reply With Quote