OT Carmello and other mishaps - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-18-2006   #1

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
OT Carmello and other mishaps

So this may not be a good idea at all but...

What if atheletes who participate in fights were subject to criminal charges for their offenses in addtion to the punishment that leagues and coaches hand down.

I mean maybe the fight the other night was not serious enough to qualify, if so please excuse my ignorance.

it just seems like these kinds of events show that atheletes are above the law weather on the court or off the court.

What do you think?

ben

benrodda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2006   #2

Vail, Colorado
A very tough question indeed. The way I see this situation is like they are paid gladiators there to entertain people in a "cotrolled enviorment". Now we know that is not true but, unless they attack a viewer I don't think they should be subject to "double jeopardy"

Now, there is also the concept of severity, when should there be legal action? I am not in an authoratative position to make that decission but there needs to be a clear line.

As for the "gladitors" thing, I mean you don't fine UFC fighters if they are hitting one another do you?

Just my thougths on the subject. ~SteveZ
Old 12-18-2006   #3
gh

pnw, Colorado
It would ruin hockey if you took it to the courts. Several incidents have made it to the courts and in rec league hockey many of them do. I say let the pros fight.
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2006   #4

ski/kayak bum
as a former college football player who got into his share of fights on and off the field I have this to say:
Inside of the white lines and within the confines of a whistle, you are allowed to do things that you would typically be arrested for on the streets. the contract is that within those confines you are agreeing to abide by the rules and the penalties associated (i.e. freethrows, penalty box, fines, suspension and ejection). The "victim" has also agreed that those penalties suffice.
Outside of the whistle and or the white lines, you should be subject to criminal and civil charges, just as if the game doesn't exist. Self Defense and other circumstances should still be taken into account. Self Defense shouldnt include reacting to ssomething that happens on the court/field/ect during a play. example, you get clipped during a play, the whistle blows, you standup and throw a punch, you get charged with assault.

my 2c
-aaron
double-a-ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006   #5

ski/kayak bum
pro hockey is no different, if a fight is allowed by the referees within the confines of agreed upon rules....so be it
double-a-ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006   #6

Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I think the commissioners handle punishment well and that courts are involved when the offense warrants it; That football player that stomped on a guys face should be brought up on charges.

that being said, and I might be mistaken, but he penalties handed down from the leagues are usually much more of a deterant/punishemnt than what you get from the courts. TO was fined 35,000 for spitting on a guy, the nuggets were fined 500,000 for that fight, Carmello suspended for 15 games (what does that equate to in salary if any?).

What would happen in court? A slap on the wrist for 1st offense, maybe some community service, anger management classes? These are probably common, and that is with a public defender and not someone Carmello would hire.
tellutwurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006   #7

salida, Colorado
First there are no agreed upon rules for fighting in the NHL, it's against the rules, which is why penalities are handed out and the instigator gets a double minor.
many cases in the NHL have gone to court and criminal charges pursued. those pursued were attacks not fights...big difference. Ask Todd Bertuzzi what happend when he bitch slapped that GOON from the Avs.
psu96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006   #8
gh

pnw, Colorado
the mcsorley stick incident went to court as well but I wouldnt go so far as to say that 'many' have gone to court
Old 12-20-2006   #9

salida, Colorado
sorry, "many/"several" your words... that are attacks not fights
psu96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006   #10

Bitch Slap!? I'm glad I'm not your bitch.

... so wrong on so many levels.
johnny portage is offline   Reply With Quote