One-way driver to or from Alaska? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > The Eddy

Old 02-10-2015   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
One-way driver to or from Alaska?

Please let me know if you've had experience with this. I am looking for someone headed to Alaska in August who would either a) drive my vehicle from Denver to Wrangell - St. Elias National Park (Wrangell - St Elias National Park & Preserve (U.S. National Park Service)) visitor center, leave it there, and then make their own arrangements to travel into the park, west to Anchorage, or wherever, or b) pick up my vehicle at the park and bring it back to Denver. I want to do the drive, but not both ways. As far as I can tell, there are no one-way car rentals to or from Anchorage. And a for-hire driver is going to be too expensive to make the trip worth it. So basically I'm looking for someone who wants to do the same trip as I do a week before or after I do it.

Thoughts? Ideas? Any takers?

Preston H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2015   #2
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
What time of year and will a boat be attached to the car?
Old 02-10-2015   #3

Denver, Colorado
August. Possibly one kayak but not yet for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2015   #4

jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1976
What kind of vehicle? Thanks.

location unknown
stuntsheriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015   #5

Denver, Colorado
1997 Tacoma, regular cab, manual, 2.7l.
Old 02-26-2015   #6

Blue River, Colorado
The road to McCarthy is brutal on a rig.
cdcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015   #7

cedar city, Utah
I drove that route in 2002. Your rig is comparable to what we used and we had a phenomenal experience. The road to McCarthy was average by our trip's standards but we explored a ton. There were sections of the Alcan on the way up that were worse but that changes every year and its been more than a decade. I remember it being on par with the road up to Circle and easier than the back way into AK through Chicken.

A couple concerns:

1) Border crossing with someone else's vehicle could raise a lot of red flags. Having spent 4 hours at the border crossing answering questions and waiting for background checks I can tell you its not a pleasant experience. Our context was long hair, a truck and we had unknowingly planned travel during the 2002 G8. Having experienced their thoroughness I would wager driving a vehicle not registered to you could be problematic. Plan well ahead.

2) Repairs/Breakdowns/Accidents/Maintenance: You are asking someone to drive you car 3-5,000 mileage unchaperoned. Have detailed plans, clear expectations in place and verify where insurance coverage is problematic.

3)Competent driver: While I didn't find most of the roads horrible we often drove at 2-5 mph for long ways. We had time and no desire to lose function way in the boonies. Along with driving competence it wouldn't hurt to have some moderate auto mechanical skills when heading into some of the places in Alaska.

Its a possible option but leaves the truck owner extremely vulnerable, especially if you are the one driving it back and waiting for its arrival. Having spent 3 weeks backpacking in the Wrangell's I can tell you I wouldn't want that uncertainty hanging over my head while on a once in a lifetime trip.

If its not a matter of time then you can take different ways back and there is a lot to see more interior to the Alcan. And you aren't likely to have a gas price friendlier year than 2015 from the way things are looking.

Hope you make it Alaska and the Wrangell's. Would be wild to see how much the glaciers have receded in that 10 years. So many stunning places to explore up there and I wasn't even rowing yet.

Phillip
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015   #8

Moab, Utah
Sell your vehicle in Colorado. Buy a plane ticket and fly to Anchorage and buy another vehicle and drive it wherever you want. I had good luck at one of those sell it yourself car lots in anchorage. Gluck
Bigdrops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015   #9

Moab, Utah
Check out this link it only took me 2 minutes to find, and I'm sure if you spent the next few months internet shopping you could probably arrange the purchase ahead of time.
New and used 1997 Toyota Tacoma - in 99501 Area - on Cars.com
Bigdrops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015   #10

Denver, Colorado
Thanks for the info everyone.