Old times. - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-21-2018   #1

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Old times.

I tried to delete this post but was unable!!!

raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2018   #2
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Well buddy, I guess now you'll just have to tell us some good river stories, and stuff!!

Becoming a raft guide for 9 years, and then getting hooked on being a private boater after that, was the best way to ruin my life, in one summer!
Old 12-21-2018   #3

thornton, Colorado
Amazing days, I say!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman View Post
Well buddy, I guess now you'll just have to tell us some good river stories, and stuff!!

Becoming a raft guide for 9 years, and then getting hooked on being a private boater after that, was the best way to ruin my life, in one summer!
No way does it ruin anyone's life, river people to me are the best. As a raft guide, it has also helped open up a whole new view of the out doors and the different personalities of passengers is amazing. Most people go their whole life and never experence what we have. The challenges on the river would change everyday, makes normal life boring. Too many people live in a bubble, very sad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2018   #4
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I couldn't agree with you more, and was only using it as a figure of speech.

In terms of what society often values, money, lots of nice stuff, stable job, all that junk, boating often leads to giving most of that up. And so many people from normal life would say it ruins your life, hence the saying. And I certainly do not share that view!!

Definitely the best thing that happened to me. Wouldn't trade the great times, wonderful people, and a changed view of the world that becoming a river guide for one summer, lead to. Not for a million Bucks!!

Whenever I'm away from rivers and canyons now, I feel like I am in some artificial world, and it has so many fake people in it, and fake values of what is important in life. I just want to go back to the actual real world, bellow a canyon rim some place.

The best friends I have in the world, are definitely my River Friends.
Old 12-22-2018   #5

thornton, Colorado
Reading the information giver here on MB has given me an insight on a lot of fresh and new ideas that were not brought up or available back in my days. Some new ideas in equipment and techniques pertaining to first-aid, rafting equipment, training, aquiring permits and rescue equipment fascinates me, and a few things I have done incorrectly over the years. A few ideas, are just out of the ball park to me though, and I just have to have a good laugh over them. Good old common sense goes a long way too.
Old 12-26-2018   #6

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
As a "newer" boater (only started kayaking 22 years ago and rafting 16 years ago), I appreciate sitting around the campfire hearing from the old salts. I've always had a self-bailer and a plastic kayak. Early on, though, I did have a leaky paddle jacket and a nylon sprayskirt...how I love latex seals and neoprene skirts with a good tight rand.

First aid and rescue training and equipment, knowledge and technology is inarguably an improvement.

Sure, my goretex drysuit and paco pad make days and nights on the river a lot more comfortable, but they don't make for as good of "Type II Fun" stories. That's where a lot of good old common sense comes from--when mistakes mean a wet and miserable time on the river. Doing it right isn't only for safety, it's also for comfort!
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019   #7

thornton, Colorado
My first boat was a self-bailer also.

My first boat I ran commercially with passenger's was a self-bailer (49 years ago with Adventure Bound) single boatmen per pontoon, MT 4Runner. It was aquired from military surplus, 23-26 foot pontoon rafts for floating bridges with the floors cut out and four section steel hinged plywood, suspended floors installed half way up the 35 inch tubes with chain's on the ends and straps down the center, built them ourselves at the warehouse. I had excellent training from very experienced guides. Drown Proofing certificate, rescue technique(dragging a person 20 times a cross a swimming pool), first-aid certificate, boat repair experience, were required for a guiding license. Love this picture. The pontoons had a nice kick on the ends.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hyjjr22ukf2z.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	32741  
Old 01-02-2019   #8

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Awesome, just reading Big Water Little Boats and saw a pic with a G-rig and those old pontoons.

Also read your post in the Everything Bag thread--somber, but necessary. Keep it coming!
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019   #9

Littlefun, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Fascinating photo. Navy pier in Chicago with Tribune tower the background.