Oil leases on BLM land in Moab going to ruin trails? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > The Eddy

Old 12-01-2008   #1

Oil leases on BLM land in Moab going to ruin trails?

I just found out a few minutes ago the BLM is/was planning on leasing parcels of land in Moab for oil drilling. Here are a couple links:

IMBA News: Action Alerts: Famous Moab Trails Put at Risk by Drilling Leases (11-19-0

We must stop this oil-drilling lease near Moab! | In-between Trips | OutsideForever - Bike Touring the Great Divide & Southeast Asia, Sea Kayak Expedition in Alaska, & Other Adventures

It sounds like some of the parcels have been withdrawn, but not all of them:

BLM pulls drilling parcel from Moab | SierraSun.com

I'm surprised I didn't hear anything about this until today, but the deadline to send feedback is a couple days from now. If you want to protest this, time is running out (see the second link for contact info for the BLM, among others).

Does anyone know anything more about this?

jaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2008   #2

Golden, Colorado
Just sent my fax. Thanks for the heads up.
blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008   #3

over, all
Paddling Since: 1995
Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance: Action Center
brooks8970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2008   #4

SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
Hiking or biking through an active drilling play is sorta like Frodo and Sam heading into Mordor.

Horrors by day, flames by night.
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008   #5

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Chip, you watch to many movies brother. anybody actually know what the environmental regulations are that the companies have to obey by? anybody? and more than likely you will be able to ride on through and pick up some alcohol from the worms.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008   #6

Down by the River, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
What would Abbey say about this? I know what he'd do about it....
boatmusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008   #7

SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
Mike— I'm going to mix it up with you on this, mate.

I actually collected air pollution data in the Wind Rivers for seven years, then sat on a Wyoming air quality panel (as public interest rep) for years after that. So I've heard the industry reps and lawyers whine about too many regulations: that's how they earn their fat salaries. After spending a great many unpaid hours listening to lies and evasions, I got disgusted by the reluctance of the Wyoming DEQ to actually do anything, and the spineless behavior of the FS and BLM.

Meanwhile, in this allegedly over-regulated environment, Pinedale, in one of the least-populated areas of the lower 48, has been subject to several air quality alerts— ozone, hazardous to health, keep children indoors, etc. Air worse than LA. That takes some doing.

And the drilling corps has been doing it. (While quite a few of the major bastards, like Nabors, have set up offices offshore to avoid paying US taxes.)

While the BLM might appear to have some control on paper, on the ground they lack the qualified field employees to regulate much of anything. Most of the funding goes to processing more drilling permits and there's not much left for monitoring or enforcement. Cheney helped shove it this way: he knows the business, the skunk.

I was born in Wyoming and love it, and the diggers and drillers and sellers are tearing out the heart and dancing in the puddles of blood. Things work pretty much the same in Utah.

You have a perfect right to believe what you like. My experience argues otherwise.
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008   #8

Bozeman, Montana
chip if im not wrong the mesa in that direction had to switch all the engines from deisel to electric. also don't forget all that bad air that sits in the winter leaves in the summer. also its a great place for antelopez to seek shelter on those hot days.

please if you don't think nabors pays some us taxes you have to be joking. unless its tax exempt when they pay for something they are indeed paying taxes. nabors is a drilling contractor meaning the average jo with lots of land and money can hire them to drill on his land and pay him the subsidies plus what other money they will give him on top of that. nabors does pay taxes.

i wonder what that raft you push down the river is made out of?
Old 12-03-2008   #9

over, all
Paddling Since: 1995
Mike,
Whats your paycheck made out of? Im guessing oil or gas...just a hunch.
brooks8970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008   #10

Bozeman, Montana
made from selling steal parts....... but seriously whats rafts and kayaks made out of.

lets not hate the industry that helps you do what you do. by driving heating your house and which is essentially the material that your boats are made out of!