Occupy the Debates - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-14-2012   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Occupy the Debates

Don't Just Vote. Get active in your community. Join others and discuss the issues and solutions your mis-Representatives are not discussing.

occupythedebates.org
9/28-29: Occupy the Debates 2012 | Occupy Denver | In Solidarity with Occupy Wall Street

Occupy the Debates, the People’s Dialogue, seeks to demonstrate the disconnect between the presidential candidates of the two corporate parties and the people of the United States whom they are supposed to represent.

Occupy The Debates Gathering

September 28, 4-10 pm
Civic Center Park
People’s Forum, Share your story; Live entertainment; Political comedian Lee Camp; Slam poetry; Drumming, and Live music

Occupy The Debates Conference
September 29, 8:30 am (registration) / 9:00 am (event)
Central Presbyterian Church (1660 Sherman Street, Denver, CO 80203)

People’s dialog; Discuss the issues and solutions; March to Capital at 5 pm.

Oct 3rd. Stop the Empire

10/3: “Stop The Empire” #OCCUPYTHEDEBATES | Occupy Denver | In Solidarity with Occupy Wall Street

marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2012   #2
Roy

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Better yet, Debatefest at DU will have the debates on the big screen in the quad while they're going on live inside.

Free registration for the general public starts tomorrow.
Old 09-14-2012   #3

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
Better yet, Debatefest at DU will have the debates on the big screen in the quad while they're going on live inside.

Free registration for the general public starts tomorrow.
That's great for the people who are "University of Denver students, faculty, staff, alumni and members of the University neighborhood." But it excludes the rest of the general public not living within the "University neighborhood." And there is really no reason to throw out the "better yet". All political activism is a good thing. But thanks for sharing your subjectivity and bias on the matter...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2012   #4

Marko, you are going too far. I was in the Occupy Denver protests, but I'm worried that "Occupy the debates" will backfire and help Romney. It will appear as anarchists which will help Romney.

Bush was first elected because Nader got ~4% of the vote and look where that got us. Wars, deregulation of banks, low taxes on the wealthy, mortgage scandal, financial crisis.

You may not think Obama goes far enough, but accept the view of fellow voters.
basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012   #5

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by basil View Post
Marko, you are going too far. I was in the Occupy Denver protests, but I'm worried that "Occupy the debates" will backfire and help Romney. It will appear as anarchists which will help Romney.

Bush was first elected because Nader got ~4% of the vote and look where that got us. Wars, deregulation of banks, low taxes on the wealthy, mortgage scandal, financial crisis.

You may not think Obama goes far enough, but accept the view of fellow voters.
Basil,
I'm sorry, but your comment is illogical.
Old 09-14-2012   #6
Roy

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Better? If your seething anger is indicative of the vibe at Occupy, then yeah, Debatefest sounds a hell of a lot better. I'll be bringing the kids afterall. Enjoy your parade.
Old 09-14-2012   #7

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
Better? If your seething anger is indicative of the vibe at Occupy, then yeah, Debatefest sounds a hell of a lot better. I'll be bringing the kids afterall. Enjoy your parade.
Hilarious! Seething anger? If you don't mind I would appreciate it if you would refrain from falsely attaching perceived emotions onto my comment. Psychological projection?? There was no anger in my comment. I was just pointing out the subjective nature of your post by adding the "better yet", and letting you know that the DU debatefest is exclusionary, and not open to the general public.

Have fun at DU Debatefest with the kids. And thanks for sharing.
Old 09-14-2012   #8

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
I completely agree with you. That's why I think that we should all, whether you smoke pot or not, retreat from the angry, convoluted message of the occupyers' which yes, couldn't help Obama if it had money. Yes, follow me down the sacred path of Thomas Jefferson, one of the country's founding fathers, who once said, "perhaps hemp will save the world". It is the endless dialectic of our day to believe that we as sovereign citizens have the moral prerogative to assume understanding and prejudice against the constitutional 'values' of anyone else. Fair is fair, free is free, you don't hurt anyone, in other words, you've committed no crime. That's the social contract I think they had in mind when they framed the constitution. Imposing freedom divides tyrannies. Marijuana is a 'progressive' issue that defies all moral underpinnings in relevance to other, mono-culturally accepted methods of soul mutilation, namely alcohol, and is relatively benign in its implications. Politically speaking though, I think it would provide a positive complement to the occupyers, who've settled on little else but blind faith in the nurture of their catharsis and a tendency towards violence and disreputable acts. That being said, we need more variety in our generational participatory modes. Let's not call it a rally, let us have a public display of affection for Mary Jane, in the highest style. Who's with me?
Marijuana March is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012   #9

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marijuana March View Post
I completely agree with you. That's why I think that we should all, whether you smoke pot or not, retreat from the angry, convoluted message of the occupyers' which yes, couldn't help Obama if it had money. Yes, follow me down the sacred path of Thomas Jefferson, one of the country's founding fathers, who once said, "perhaps hemp will save the world". It is the endless dialectic of our day to believe that we as sovereign citizens have the moral prerogative to assume understanding and prejudice against the constitutional 'values' of anyone else. Fair is fair, free is free, you don't hurt anyone, in other words, you've committed no crime. That's the social contract I think they had in mind when they framed the constitution. Imposing freedom divides tyrannies. Marijuana is a 'progressive' issue that defies all moral underpinnings in relevance to other, mono-culturally accepted methods of soul mutilation, namely alcohol, and is relatively benign in its implications. Politically speaking though, I think it would provide a positive complement to the occupyers, who've settled on little else but blind faith in the nurture of their catharsis and a tendency towards violence and disreputable acts. That being said, we need more variety in our generational participatory modes. Let's not call it a rally, let us have a public display of affection for Mary Jane, in the highest style. Who's with me?
Internet Trolling is fun, huh? Thanks for creating your profile, just now, to share your thoughts.
Old 09-14-2012   #10

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Cant be nuetral on a moving train loco-motive hyperbole

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Internet Trolling is fun, huh? Thanks for creating your profile, just now, to share your thoughts.

I was being half-serious, dick, where's your poncho?
Marijuana March is offline   Reply With Quote