Obama's High-Speed Rail - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-16-2009   #1

The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
Obama's High-Speed Rail

PLEASE tell me it will go though the I-70 corridor!

Obama says U.S. high-speed rail overdue | Politics | Reuters

"President Barack Obama outlined his plan for developing "long overdue" high-speed rail on Thursday that would rival air travel, create jobs and help curb the U.S. transportation system's appetite for oil.
"My high-speed rail proposal will lead to innovations that change the way we travel in America," Obama said in announcing the first steps of an initiative that will tap $8 billion in economic stimulus money through 2012. The first grants for high speed projects and upgrades to existing service could be awarded this summer.
Obama envisions a network of short and longer-haul corridors plied by trains traveling up to 150 miles per hour. States would play a crucial role as would freight railroads, which own much of the U.S. rail infrastructure. Rail development has faced steep political hurdles in the past, mainly due to questions over funding and service."

Advertisement

Old 04-16-2009   #2

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
what energy resource is going to be consumed in order for these to run?
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by caspermike View Post
what energy resource is going to be consumed in order for these to run?
Same fossil fuels as now moving people, just MUCH more efficiently.

Mike, don't worry, high-speed rail will not be coming to small town Wyoming anytime soon. The plan is to focus on heavily traveled, high population corridors, like Boston to NYC to Washington and LA to SF.
For these type trips, high speed rail is more fuel efficent than flying and can be faster door to door.

Highly unlikely we will see any I-70 rail solutions, very expensive construction, only seasonal and weekend high demand, and limited functionality. I am not going to drive to Golden, ride a train to Frisco and then catch a bus to Breckenridge (carrying ski gear). Now it would be possible to upgrade the current ski train to Winter Park by increasing number of trains, pricing it as mass transit and adding a stop on Highway 93. The tracks are already in place.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2009   #4
Roy

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badazws6 View Post
PLEASE tell me it will go though the I-70 corridor!
I can't imagine that's anywhere near the top of the priority list, but "long overdue" is an understatement.
Old 04-16-2009   #5
Roy

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Same fossil fuels as now moving people, just MUCH more efficiently.
Not quite. They'll be electric. Coal, wind, natural gas...maybe some nukes too...
Old 04-16-2009   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
Not quite. They'll be electric. Coal, wind, natural gas...maybe some nukes too...
My understanding was that electric worked for light rail (lighter trains, short routes and close to power generation and transmission lines) but not for longer routes. I believe the high speed rail now in operation (NYC to Washington) is diesel. Could be wrong.

95% of our (Colorado) electric is still "fossil fuels".
Old 04-16-2009   #7

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Thanks for pointing that out rich. what i was eventually going to get to. if more renerwable resources are going to be introduced. your precious canyons are going to take a hit as did the platte valley before the expansion of the oil and gas boom in midwest and casper. the easiest form of renewable resource is hydro. so be warry about this. as boaters we are stuck in the middle we need gas to get places but we don't want global warming to effect our snowpack. we use plastic boats and move through prestine environments.

electricty has to come from some where and it comes from coal, oil and gas and hydro, wind and solar at the moment don't do shit.

heres a contreversial issue. front range needs more power generation and the Obama administration is looking for green possiblilties. theres a couple good looking canyons on the front range and one outside fort collins which could be turned into reservoirs which could produce electricty year round. the money that will be made on electrity will dwarf the money the government is making off the recreatoin industry there for creating a new reservoir. what canyon do you give up? if you had to choose?
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009   #8
Kjirsten

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Quote:
My understanding was that electric worked for light rail (lighter trains, short routes and close to power generation and transmission lines) but not for longer routes. I believe the high speed rail now in operation (NYC to Washington) is diesel. Could be wrong.

95% of our (Colorado) electric is still "fossil fuels".
So can the speed rail from NYC to Washington be run on biofuel like most diesels?
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by caspermike View Post
..as boaters we are stuck in the middle we need gas to get places but we don't want global warming to effect our snowpack. we use plastic boats and move through prestine environments.

electricty has to come from some where and it comes from coal, oil and gas and hydro, wind and solar at the moment don't do shit.

So true! My biggest carbon footprint is flying to ski and dive and driving a truck to the river. Have not figured out how to get two boats and 21 days gear,food and beer in the Prius.
Old 04-16-2009   #10
Roy

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
I was under the impression they were going to look at maglev. The California High Speed Rail system is going electric.