"Not about issues..." - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-24-2008   #1

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
"Not about issues..."

Rick Davis, campaign manager for John McCain's presidential bid, cynically stated that the presidential race will be decided more over personalities than issues. "This election is not about issues," Davis said. "This election is about a composite view of what people take away from these candidates."

Given the state of the United States and the world beyond, that comment should be disturbing to thinking Americans.

Just to confirm how shallow-minded the McCain campaign is, we now learn that Sarah Palin (whose selection itself was astoundingly shallow) has a traveling celebrity stylist who was paid $22,800 to primp Palin during the first two weeks of October. In contrast, McCain's foreign policy adviser, Randy "Georgia's Lobbyist" Scheunmann, was paid $12,500 during the same period.

Speaks volumes, doesn't it?

DurangoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2008   #2
Kayak/SUP Instructor

The High Ground, Colorado
Cult of personality. Sadly no one will remember or hold accountable those who make us promises today. There really isn't a mechanism to do so and "they" know it. The game is rigged my friend.
Old 10-24-2008   #3
cma

Boulder
I would say it is absolutely true for a huge number of people. You have to admit that alot of people are voting for Obama just because they are the same race or they just like him better and have no idea what either side's platform really is other than what the media spin machine tells them.

I also think you would be a little ignorant to believe that Obama or Biden don't have people working for them that travel with them to make sure they look their best. As long as TV appearances and how someone looks is more important than the issues to any number of voters it will remain a fact of life.

You can also say Obama is buying his way to the presidency..

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...t-and-verizon/

$150k for fancy clothes is one thing but $250 million in advertising.. That $250 million could help alot of people. Where would he be if he had stuck to his word to use the public finance system? Obama cannot be trusted with anything he says any more than McCain.
cma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2008   #4

Durango, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by cma View Post
I would say it is absolutely true for a huge number of people. You have to admit that alot of people are voting for Obama just because they are the same race or they just like him better and have no idea what either side's platform really is other than what the media spin machine tells them.

I also think you would be a little ignorant to believe that Obama or Biden don't have people working for them that travel with them to make sure they look their best. As long as TV appearances and how someone looks is more important than the issues to any number of voters it will remain a fact of life.
I certainly agree that there are dipshit voters on both sides who are impressed by utterly meaningless stuff. What I find alarming is the OVERT admission by Davis that it's ALL ABOUT meaningless shit, then to have the McCain campaign reinforce that with the selection/clothing/primping of Palin as some sort of beauty queen that Mrs. Bubba wants to be and Mr. Bubba wants to bone.

I'm a cynical advertising guy, and even I find this level of crass manipulation of the public utterly repulsive. Governance is too damned important to be decided by meaningless crap.

I am sorry that Obama opted out of the public finance system. On the other hand, I am encouraged by the gigantic outpouring of SMALL contributions averaging something like $87 per donor. That's a LOT of people giving small money. It's a perverse grassroots megamoney phenomenon.
Old 10-24-2008   #5
Self-Aggrandizing jackass

The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
Of course the game is rigged; if you don't bet you can't play.

Look, I don't care what Palin spends on a wardrobe. There's a double-standard between women's clothes (& expectations of appearance) and men's. No one will notice if McCain or Obama wear the same suit two weeks in a row. They certainly will Palin, and probably someone will call her a dufus if she did. That matter, how a campaign spends its money, is the business of the donors, IMO.

Certainly the campaign for me is about candidate identities rather than issues alone. Obama is the conservative temperament, McCain is the geezer-ish, hothead who doesn't know much about the economy. Palin IS a dufus, but not because of what she wears.

I think the reason we're always choosing the lesser of two evils, or if you will, between the douchebag and the shit sandwich, is because of the inherent flaws in our collective cognitive process. Our modern democracy is beholden to the morons within a standard deviation of the mean intelligence. Not just the mean intelligence, but the mean political intelligence.

We're doomed!
Old 10-24-2008   #6

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Watch Idiocracy, the best movie never to have hit the theaters, and prepare!
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008   #7

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Ok, so then seriously.... Which one is hotter?

Sarah

Michelle

Or

Cindy... If she was the same age as Sarah and Michelle?
benrodda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008   #8

Durango, Colorado
Ben, Ben, Ben... this is not about your penis. It's about the future of our nation. If you need masturbation fantasy fodder, uhm, Google your way to nirvana.
Old 10-24-2008   #9
Self-Aggrandizing jackass

The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
For me it would be Cindy in her prime. I love vicodin.
Old 10-24-2008   #10

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Durango steve if it was about us; than we won't be in this postition to vote for either worthless candidate.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote