New to Durango - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-27-2013   #1

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: noob
New to Durango

My girlfriend and I just moved down to escape city life and make life a little more simple.

The move cost us a lot more than we had anticipated and the kayaks we were hoping to have by now have been put on the back burner, unfortunately. Hopefully we get back on track here soon, just curious what are the best shops to buy from, or should we rent first and go from there?

What are your favorite hikes?
Restaurants we may not have tried yet?
Other awesome things we may not know about yet?

stoneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2013   #2

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 4Eva
We have our annual Swap & Sale coming up next weekend here in Durango. We'll have TONS of used boats and gear, so stop by and check it out. May 4th & 5th.

We also have a full line of demo kayaks if you'd like to try any of the newer boats before you buy. Stop by and check us out at 360 S. Camino Del Rio.
4CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013   #3

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Durango lunch

Rgp's in the main mall has my favorite lunch in town... The rice monkey is also great, but it is better to carry out, because they are popular and don't have a lot of seating. Watching craigs list for boats usually works well if you prefer a good deal over instant satisfaction, but the selection is smaller, and it can be tough if you don't know what you are looking for. I like to put newbies in a ducky to learn river navigation skills without the stress of needing a good combat roll. They are more fun for overnight trips also, because you can haul most of your own gear, and they are generally more comfortable to paddle for long streaches, because you are able to straighten your legs and move around easier. I/k's are lower performance, and get blown arround by the wind more tho so everything is a trade off
Floatin mucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2013   #4

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2011
Where to Raft?

I'm going to be in town for the weekend, and I'm wondering where to get info on the river. I searched old posts and found that there isn't really class III in town, but I'm not sure what sections are runnable (where to put in and take out) and what to expect as far as difficulty, and how to arrange a shuttle.

I figure I'll show up at 4CRS in the morning and try and get some beta and a shuttle from them.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Issip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013   #5
fun hog

D-go go, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
550 north thru town to intersection with 32nd. Take R at light, go over the river and take first left. Head to put in and launch. Take out at 4 corners- figure that part out at the swap. the brown is bumpin and it'll be a good weekend on the rio. all read and run- no scary moves-shit, it's the town run. But be sure to T up the whitewater park, you'll figure it out. If the Animas pops, it can get really rowdy but where not there yet. have fun, be safe-
mountainjah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013   #6
fun hog

D-go go, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneking View Post
My girlfriend and I just moved down to escape city life and make life a little more simple.

The move cost us a lot more than we had anticipated and the kayaks we were hoping to have by now have been put on the back burner, unfortunately. Hopefully we get back on track here soon, just curious what are the best shops to buy from, or should we rent first and go from there?

What are your favorite hikes?
Restaurants we may not have tried yet?
Other awesome things we may not know about yet?
wait, so no boat? or rubber?
You just want beta....

rent
backcountry experince, pine needle, gardenschwartz, etc....
hiking sucks, no, hiking is what you do with your dogs in the morning. Animas Mt., dog park, CT, Horse Gulch. FYI- You just moved to a mtbiking mecca, that's the next thing you save for.
After you cats get those bikes, you can blow some money at Steamworks, East by Southwest, Fired up, and Zia.
No one is gonna spew anything sacred online but get yourself a map and get outside and everyday you'll experience some new adventure. welcome to paradise.
mountainjah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013   #7

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2011
It is Class III in town!

The old post I'd read wasn't exactly accurate, the whitewater park features were definitely class III at Saturday's flows (~1700 CFS).

Also, 4CRS was insanely busy with their sale so I begged a shuttle out of someone at SW Paddling on Main St. (not their usual business, but nice people helped me out!). Great town - friendly people - fun rafting - Thanks Durango, I'll be back!
Issip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013   #8

Duhrango
So, did you get any boats to use? River is way down but warm weather is coming back and levels should rise again. doG, I hope to get out this weekend sometime.

Kennebec Cafe in Hesperus. Burger night on Sundays. All around great food a bit on the higher end $$$. Well worth it though.

Yes, do some mountain biking if you can't boat. 2nd Ave Sports or Hassle Free if you need to rent something.
Old 05-21-2013   #9

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: noob
I didn't make it down there, no. Unless some money falls from the sky I'm not going to get into a boat/kayak while the water is still good this year.

Starting my first season as a wildland firefighter so a lot of my time will be spent away from DGO this summer. By next year I'll be well set up to enjoy the river though.
Old 06-16-2013   #10
RiverMaps

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
Here dude, this app will help you check conditions on the go, no matter where in the US you might be and it's only $5. So you can stay current and stuff.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...sign.RiverMaps

-ken
RiverMaps is offline   Reply With Quote