Mystery Ranch pack. - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > The Eddy

Unread 23 Hours Ago   #1

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Mystery Ranch pack.

I picked up a Mystery Ranch Shift Plus backpack at a pawn shop for 80.00$ to turn it into a first-aid, road side emergency/rescue bag for my vehicle. Road flares, seat belt cutter, etc. Anyone have experience with these packs, seams very well built. I liked the design of this pack, is what caught my eye, because it did not look like a regular backpack, but more like a gear bag with shoulder straps to me. Just curious, thanks.

raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10 Hours Ago   #2

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
No experience with pack, but looks like you made a great purchase! They run from $130 to $525
Unread 9 Hours Ago   #3

thornton, Colorado
I thought so too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tomcat2 View Post
No experience with pack, but looks like you made a great purchase! They run from $130 to $525
I thought it was a good deal, especially for it's design and thickness of the material. All the storage compartments, to keep items separated, first-aid, tow strap, jumper cables, flares(signaling, fire starter,etc.), tarp, folding shovel, etc. Right now I just have these items placed through out my vehicle. Just never heard of this company and was just curious, so I thought I'd go to the house of knowledge here on MB. I thought it was a good find, I actually went to the pawn shop looking for a set of 3/4 inch impact sockets that I saw a couple weeks ago but they were sold. Thank you, 2tomcat2 I have purchased a few items that turned out not to be worth what I paid for them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 5 Hours Ago   #4

Englewood, Colorado
Raymo,

Good find indeed. Mystery Ranch packs are among the top tier of packs made. They started when refugees from Dana Design split off to make their own packs. They are mostly made in the U.S., and tend to be on the burlier, and thus heavier, side. Thus they don't attract the ultralight crowd. But their packs are very tough and well designed, which is why a significant amount of their customer base is special forces military and backcountry firefighters (browse their website). Fwiw, I have 2 MR packs, one is my go-to pack for off trail, bushwhacking overnighters. It has the capacity for a few nights (52L) but the suspension of a bigger 70L pack, which is great when I'm carrying a heavy load, e.g. climbing ropes, helmets, tech climbing gear, etc. If you ever need it, MR's customer service is top rate, very responsive.

I wasn't familiar with your pack so I glanced at the MR website. It's designed for wildfire crews and is a modular system, e.g. you can get other compartments to attach on to increase capacity. Again, a great find.

-Tom
Tom Pierce is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Hours Ago   #5

thornton, Colorado
Thanks, Tom for the information on the MR packs, yes from the time I first handled it and noticed the design, that it had a special purpose for it to be built the way it was for wildfire crews as you explained, it makes sense now. The whole pack is very robust and much heavier than other backpacks I have handled and used. Also I have never seen this brand at any sporting goods stores. It was definitely designed to be abused, which is to my benefit. Plus I just learned something new to start my New Year off, thanks again much appreciated.