Music & Riding - Mountain Buzz

View Poll Results: How do you feel about listening to music while riding?
Good? 1 20.00%
Bad? 4 80.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-27-2006   #1
CGM

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Music & Riding

I have tried listening to music while riding, but really didn't like it. I like being able to hear what is going on around me while riding. And while I can't tell you what to do; I am starting to find the number of people riding with headphones on a bit obnoxious. It sucks to get on a lift and start talking to someone, only to realize that they can't hear antything that you've just said, especially when its you're buddy sitting next to you. I personally go riding to hang out with my friends, as well as enjoy the riding part; and I find it a little uncool that people need to shut themselves off from everything else with a pair of headphones planted on their heads. And headphones in the backcountry? No way. But those are just my opinions, and that's my rant. What do ya'll think?

CGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2006   #2
msk

I like riding with music, pretty much as loud as possible. I think is's funny when some dickhead wants to run their mouth on the lift about how pretty it is. Take a picture if it's so great. Don't even get me started on people riding by themselves trying to make conversation, get some freinds pal.
msk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006   #3

Take it easy buddy. If you're a dick everytime someone tries to be nice, people won't be nice to you for long. Just because you're riding up with someone you don't know doesn't mean you don't have any friends.

That said, occasionally I ski with headphones, but pretty rarely. I think the biggest concern is the safety issue. Especially when it's crowded, you need to be able to hear and register what's going on around you quickly enough to react. When I do ski with my music, I make sure that, while I can still hear the music well, I can also hear what people say to me and the sound of my edges on the snow. This makes it easy to avoid incidents and still be courteous to others. I've found that I don't like having music when I am with friends for exactly the reasons CGM stated. So I typically end up only listening to music when it's one of those easy going days that I'm skiing alone.

COUNT
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2006   #4

Local, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to paddlebizzle
msk - nice first post. you're not going to make very many friends on the buzz. Take that attitude to craigslist.

Back to the topic: charging it with your buds on a powder day while jamming out to your favorite tunes is heaven. If you are worried about talking to them on the lift, that's what the "Pause" or "Stop" button is for.

I also like to ski alone and that means that I don't want to talk on the lift. Wearing headphones is a polite way of discouraging conversation and keeping to yourself.

I think COUNT is right though. Listening to music can increase the incidents of collisions etc,. because people can't communicate to you. That's the only drawback I see.
paddlebizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006   #5

unemployeed
Send a message via ICQ to northfwestg
yo nothing like some hippity hopp in them ears while rippin

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddlebizzle
msk - nice first post. you're not going to make very many friends on the buzz. Take that attitude to craigslist.

Back to the topic: charging it with your buds on a powder day while jamming out to your favorite tunes is heaven. If you are worried about talking to them on the lift, that's what the "Pause" or "Stop" button is for.

I also like to ski alone and that means that I don't want to talk on the lift. Wearing headphones is a polite way of discouraging conversation and keeping to yourself.

I think COUNT is right though. Listening to music can increase the incidents of collisions etc,. because people can't communicate to you. That's the only drawback I see.
northfwestg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006   #6
I'm right 50% of the time

RFV, CO
Paddling Since: 1977
I snowride to music almost everyday I ride. Put on a helmet w/ built in head Phones is Rad. My helmet (burton) has a mute button on the left ear. To hear my friends in the trees or the Texan on the lift I just gime myself a little head slap. Mute. I hear fine. I also have a pair of noise cancelling head phones for under my Motocross helmet. Ridding a sled in the BC with music is ver enjoyable. Comming soon to a river near you...

http://www.otterbox.com/products/ipod_cases/ipod_nano_case/[/url]

http://www.waterproofcases.net/headphones.html[url]

Let the kids ride Free

[/code]
brendodendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006   #7

Lakewood, Colorasta
Paddling Since: 1997
I never ride with music. . . I like the sound of the woods.
Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006   #8

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I never ride / ski with headphones. I like being able to hear what's going on around me. Besides that, I've always had my own "Ipod" in my head.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006   #9

Only with the music down low as background noise.
Doug Poudre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006   #10

Not a river guide, Ft. FunK
Hell yes i ride with danger music on!! Its way more fun and just makes me ride harder and get into my groove that much quicker. It has nothing to do with shutting yourself off from the world or that guy next to me on the lift, its just fun to ride with some f'n Bob Seger on, or slayer, or even some hairmetal bands or a lil funk. I dont see why some people have a hard time with it. Take the freakin things outta your ear when your riding with your buds on the chairlift, it aint that hard and only takes a sec. And i dont get the safety excuse, i know exactly whats going on around and ahead of me and i dont need to hear it. If some assbag is behind me and for some reason hits me, then its his fault and it was meant to be. Maybe i can smack a lawsuit on em. Plus it makes them BC hikes go by a lil quicker.
gapers is offline   Reply With Quote