Moving to CO - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-04-2014   #1

Columbia, South Carolina
Paddling Since: 2008
Moving to CO

I'm moving to Colorado and I'm looking for some ideas on where to live. I'm currently looking in the Vail and Crested Butte areas. I can kayak class 4 and a little class 5 here and there. I like snowboarding and long walks on the beach. Any input is appreciated.

jwilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2014   #2

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
no offense , but personally i would avoid vail. lol. crested butte or telluride are tough to beat.... for boating, the ark valley is hard to beat, that is Buena vista or Salida.
GratefulOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014   #3

Columbia, South Carolina
None taken, that is why I'm asking. What do you think about Avon, Dillon or Eagle?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2014   #4

Keystone, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilder View Post
None taken, that is why I'm asking. What do you think about Avon, Dillon or Eagle?

Lived in Dillon. Hated it. I've only be here for about a year and a half and I've managed to live in Breck, Frisco, Keystone, and Dillon. Out of all of them. I really liked Frisco. It's central to everything. Not as crowded. The town is awesome. And you have hiking, biking, kayaking, and fishing all right out of your back door. The bars are sweet too.
Soupedupvinyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014   #5

Breckenridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I live in Breckenridge, and absolutely love it. Riding is great, although it can get super crowded. Boating is only ok, although within a pretty short drive you can get to plenty of goods. Mountain biking is also super good. I've literally got amazing trails out of my back yard.
I hear Crested Butte is amazing, but I also hear it's much harder to make a living down there. It's pretty easy to get a some-what livable wage in Summit County, and have plenty of time to play.
dustyrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014   #6

Columbia, South Carolina
I appreciate the input and it's very helpful.

I'm a contractor and I travel for work, I can live anywhere.

Besides my local run, the closest river is 2hrs away. Anything within an hour is awesome to me. I don't currently mountain bike, but I'm sure I will pick it up.

Old 07-07-2014   #7
over the horizon

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
If you can really live anywhere, Durango, Salida, and Glenwood Springs are the queen river towns out here. Each has its own "2nd tier" ski resort with no lines.

Glenwood has literal year round boating, but is on I-70.

Salida is the ultimate boating town, but is farther from the desert.

Durango is in the friggin San Juan Mts (epic), but is really isolated from the big city.

Or just move to Banks, Idaho.
BmfnL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014   #8

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Ha, Salida the ultimate boater town....perhaps for a play boater or float fisherman. If you like to boat anything more than class 2 you will spend all your time driving north 30 minutes to kayak (I would certainly recommend it over Vail or Summit though).
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014   #9

San Juans, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmyers View Post
Ha, Salida the ultimate boater town....perhaps for a play boater or float fisherman. If you like to boat anything more than class 2 you will spend all your time driving north 30 minutes to kayak (I would certainly recommend it over Vail or Summit though).
Boulder. Hands down. All your out of state friends have heard of it and it has hippies, gear geeks and chain restaraunts. The mountain towns, particularly the SW, are full, have no jobs, high rent, and bible beaters not to mention draconian drinking laws.
dgosn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014   #10

Edwards, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
I absolutely love living in Eagle. Its a nice town with really cool people, less expensive than Vail, and for the boating its a 20 minute drive to Dowd chute, 20 minute drive to Shoshone (class IV at really high water), a little over an hour to Gore, just over an hour to Slaughterhouse, just over an hour to Buena Vista, just over an hour to Clear Creak, etc...
For the skiing, half an hour to Vail, 20 minutes to Beaver Creek (I don't care what other people say, I know its not the steepest mountains, but I dumps and there are plenty of good steep runs and big cliffs, just ask a local).