Moving to CO - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-03-2009   #1

Greensboro, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 1995
Moving to CO

Hey everyone, my job has an opening out in Denver and it seems like everyone on the board is from CO. Just wondering a few things:

-places to live(I want cheap cause I'm never home but I also don't want to worry about going to my car at night or my place being broken into)
-areas to avoid
-advice?

TJ

TJGoSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2009   #2

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
Sorry, the state is closed, you will not be allowed in!!

Just kidding! Congrats on the transfer. The farther west you go, the easier it is to get away. Where is your job going to be? As you don't want to make your commute into a hell either.
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009   #3

Greensboro, North Carolina
Yes, the job is in Denver. But I work crazy hours so traffic isn't an issue.
TJGoSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2009   #4

C. Springs, Colorado
Long ago when I worked and lived in Denver.....I always looked for places to live in the Broomfield, Thorton, Northglen, Westminster areas. It's basically the North end of town. I know a lot of people that like the South end like Littleton or Cherry Creek. Housing might be a little cheaper on the North end of town.....but you won't know till you shop around. Stay out of the Middle of town and you'll be fine.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009   #5

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I lived in Golden CO west of denver in 2000. Found some resonable rents in OK ($550 with a view/walking distance to open space trails) neighborhoods. It was great for the skibum. I could avoid the denver traffic heading to the mountains but was close enough to Denver to get to work easy. Oh and I was on the outskirts of "the brown cloud"

Places to avoid--East Colfax ave, unless you need some extra money for rent, want to help someone fund their crack habit or buy some crack etc. Oh and stay away from the Republic of Boulder! It is full of Trustafarians who will panhandle for gas money to fill the Range Rover Mom and Dad bought them. GO DONKEYS! umm I mean broncos....
treehugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009   #6

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Check out the Berkeley and Lower Highlands areas (NOT Highlands Ranch). It's kind of the newer hotspot for the under-40 crowd, just northwest of downtown. Pretty easy access to I-70 to the mountains, but you can also jump easily onto I-25 if you're heading to the Poudre and easy to get on 36 to Boulder. Lot of new neighborhood common areas with hip bars and a good social scene, but rents aren't out of control and you should be able to rent a house with a yard and garage to hold all your boats and toys. Crime rates are probably average. I lived there for 4 years and got my unlocked car rifled through once, and my garage broken into once. Easy to bike to a decent bar, but also a pretty easy commute to just about anywhere in Denver except Aurora.

Don't live in Aurora.

I'm also not a fan of most parts south of Washington Park- it adds another 15 minutes or more to your skiing and boating trips.

Golden is a great town to live in for paddling - the Black Rock section offers a fairly long IV-V season. But, it's a bit of a haul to downtown, depending on where you work. And the social scene is a little more family-oriented and subdued, IMO.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009   #7
swimming

conifer, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJGoSurf View Post
Hey everyone, my job has an opening out in Denver and it seems like everyone on the board is from CO. Just wondering a few things:

-places to live(I want cheap cause I'm never home but I also don't want to worry about going to my car at night or my place being broken into)
-areas to avoid
-advice?

TJ

I guess as long as you're not from Texafornia we'll let you in.
mr. compassionate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009   #8

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2006
Another Berkeley/Highlands type of neighborhood that is good is Baker. South Broadway has a lot of great bars and restaurants, and you have quick and easy access to downtown, light rail, 6th ave freeway, I25, etc. There are lots of rooms for rent in neat old Victorian houses that are pretty inexpensive, as well as cheap apartments.
atg200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009   #9

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
One more thing- wherever you work, check out the RTD options to / from that building. I commuted on one route for about two years, and it was nice to be able to get on a bus 1 block from my house, read the paper for 20 minutes, then get off 2 blocks from work. See if your work subsidizes RTD passes. http://www3.rtd-denver.com/tripplanner/start.action

Might be good to start with neighborhoods that are served with just one bus or train. If work is near the 16th Street Mall, check out the Limited buses.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009   #10

Denver, Colorado
Globeville,Commerce City, and NE Aurora are not excellent choices,though cheap.Highlands Ranch epitomizes suburbia,but has reasonably good access to urban So. Platte,Deckers,Waterton, Foxton , and Bailey[ 2 beginner ,2 intermediate, one advanced run] they usually have a longer than average season ,this year kinda' stunk.
Highlands neighborhood is a good call.Mayfair 5 -10 minutes farther east is also good /relatively inexpensive choice middle east Colfax,say University to Monaco,is vastly improved with many good bars and eateries,a good music scene in the seedier part nearer downtown.Access to crack and hookers to the east. Easy to get to 270/36 for Boulder/Lyons stuff.
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote