Meet the FNG - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-01-2009   #1

Thronton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Meet the FNG

Hey all, I'm new to the site and was wondering if there's a "meet and greet" kind of thread somewhere to get to know folks? A kind of place where you put a name to a face so to speak (face being a description of who you are, how you got into boating, whatever). Eventually you get to know folks I'm sure, but was just curious.

I just bought a raft myself (frame still being made as I post), so I'm newbie from the owner's perspective. I did a couple of trips last year with some others, and it brought back memories of my younger days. I used to raft a lot with my Dad in the summers in Brown's Canyon and did an over-nighter on the Salt in Arizona once with him.

My favorite story about him is that he got into the sport with some friends by renting two small rafts for the Salt, with no whiteater experience to speak of. Being the genius he was, he and his buddy ran Quartzite Falls (before it was dynamited), almost killing himself. He learned to portage from that trip.

Anyway, I plan to get my feet wet on a few class II and III trips before trying things like Brown's again (I also learned from my Dad's first trip ). I've got a wife and two kids (7 and 5), so I have to mix in some mellow floating with some bouncier whitewater until they are a bit older and have some survival skills.

I hope to see some of you on the rivers. I'll be the one towing my raft with a convertible Mustang - that will be quite the interesting site I am sure! Hey, I'm not giving up the mid-life crisis car for rafting...

BoilermakerU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2009   #2

conifer, Colorado
Believe me you don't want a "Meet and Greet" with all the Lefties in the Eddy. They're all Obama Sychophants. Judging from the fact that you are a Boilermaker and somewhat conservative you should run as fast from this site as possible before Riparian and Durango Steve cloud your mind and throw you into one of the Comrade Obama's Re-education Camps.
mr. compassionate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009   #3

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
But everyone else is a rove/cheney fascist that wants to torture mountain wildlife to tell where the gold lies in them hills!

Don't listen to Disco Duck^!

There are a lot of us in a similar boat. I took my 6 yr old for his first rafting trip over memorial weekend on the upper C. I may be heading up there next weekend to do the same again. That depends on if I get my fill of rafting Numbers at 2G this weekend. I seem to be in the polar opposites mode. R2 IV+ at high water one week, then oar 30 miles of class II with my son as the only passenger but loaded to camp, then repeat! In a way I am a relative newbie to the raft, but I have been Kayaking for 16+ years so it was not that big of a step. Just get out there and start paddling!
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2009   #4
Roy

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. compassionate View Post
Judging from the fact that you are a Boilermaker and somewhat conservative
Where do you get that Boilermaker is conservative? His grammar and syntax seem reasonable to me...
Old 06-03-2009   #5

conifer, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
Where do you get that Boilermaker is conservative? His grammar and syntax seem reasonable to me...
I assumed since his moniker is boilemaker that he is a Hoosier. Usually people from the Midwest have common sense and are therefore Conservative's not to be confused with Republicans.
Old 06-03-2009   #6
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. compassionate View Post
Believe me you don't want a "Meet and Greet" with all the Lefties in the Eddy. They're all Obama Sychophants. Judging from the fact that you are a Boilermaker and somewhat conservative you should run as fast from this site as possible before Riparian and Durango Steve cloud your mind and throw you into one of the Comrade Obama's Re-education Camps.
Good looking out Mr. Compassionate. He's right. Nothing but a bunch of arbophiles and lesbians here in the eddy. You might find better company down at the feed store where people talk about the good ol' days and white is right. America, fuck yeah!
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009   #7

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randaddy View Post
Good looking out Mr. Compassionate. He's right. Nothing but a bunch of arbophiles and lesbians here in the eddy. You might find better company down at the feed store where people talk about the good ol' days and white is right. America, fuck yeah!
Randaddy, are you back from your adventure?
Old 06-04-2009   #8
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
I am. Back and in action. Well, as much action as the low bookings of early June will allow up here on the Poudre. I'm still working on my photos and an article. I'll post more as soon as I have it put together.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009   #9

conifer, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhyman View Post
Randaddy, are you back from your adventure?
Yeah Randaddy when will we see the rundown of your adventure?
Old 06-12-2009   #10

Denver, Colorado
Welcome to the Eddy from another Boilermaker, Class of 97.

(Ignore Mr. Compassionate, he isn't even a kayaker or rafter, probably one of those hate filled pasty white dudes who gets paid by the word to blog on public forums by the Heritage Foundation or some other fascist think tank.)

Hope to see you on the river.
-d