article here

seems a little harsh?

mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2007   #2
gh

pnw, Colorado
Property rights are some of the oldest legislation we have. Given that you can be arrested in some states for just carrying wire cutters on your person, he probably got off easy.
Old 12-12-2007   #3

scottsdale, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1979
He was not fined $31,000. he was ordered to pay that in restituition for the cost of the property he destroyed....there is quite a difference.
RRHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2007   #4
JBL

Gnarnia, Colorado
Poor tactics on the part of the trail advocate. I too am an advocate of trails and access but there are effective strategies and organizations that can help resolve situations like this. Pulling out the wire cutters will cost you every time and could get you shot in some counties...
JBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007   #5

Vail, Colorado
I agree with RRHB - Restitution and fines are two totally different things. The guy was required to pay $31k, the cost of damage to the property. Not sure if you are aware but building a fence on that size of acreage is quite pricey. I am all about trail access to public lands but, I think he got what he deserves and that he should of, agreeing with JBL, looked for other avenues to create an access to the trail.

my 2 cents....

~Stevesie
Old 12-13-2007   #6
Roy

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Zizzou View Post
Restitution and fines are two totally different things. The guy was required to pay $31k, the cost of damage to the property.
You're right about their being two different things, but technically you're talking about "compensation" if he was paying for the cost of damage to the property, which would make sense. "Restitution" would actually be if the fence-cutter made a profit by his wrongful act and was ordered by the court to pay that amount. That doesn't make sense to me, so I wonder if the paper didn't get their terms mixed up in the article.
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007   #7

Vail, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
You're right about their being two different things, but technically you're talking about "compensation" if he was paying for the cost of damage to the property, which would make sense. "Restitution" would actually be if the fence-cutter made a profit by his wrongful act and was ordered by the court to pay that amount. That doesn't make sense to me, so I wonder if the paper didn't get their terms mixed up in the article.

res·ti·tu·tion /ˌrɛstɪˈtuʃən, -ˈtyu-/Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[res-ti-too-shuhn, -tyoo-]Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun 1.reparation made by giving an equivalent or compensation for loss, damage, or injury caused; indemnification.

I do believe the legal term is restitution not compensation but I could be wrong. You are right though, compensation falls within the full definition.

~Stevesie
Old 12-13-2007   #8
Roy

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I'm no lawyer, I just play one on the internet!

OK, after googling around a little bit, the Colorado US Attorney's office indicates I'm the one off base here--restitution is the correct term.

Quote:
Explanation of Losses Subject to Restitution

Many victims are interested in how they can be repaid for their financial losses suffered as a result of a crime. This brochure provides an overview of that process.

The Act provides that 'identified' victims may be entitled to an order of restitution for certain losses suffered as a result of the commission of an offense as part of the criminal sentence imposed on the defendant, or as part of a plea agreement. Victims may be either individuals, or businesses/corporations.

It is important to begin keeping a record of all expenses incurred as a result of the crime, so this information can be used in determining what costs may be ordered by a Judge to be repaid by a defendant if convicted.
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007   #9

Turning his land into a ranch to save on taxes - just shows what a messed up tax system we have. Could we please just end the farm/ranch subsidies?
jaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007   #10
Self-Aggrandizing jackass

The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
The farm/ranch subsidy enables people who inherited land from their families, sometimes property owned by the familes for more than 100 years, to keep it despite the fact that they live on 18K a year. Personally, I think it does more good than harm.

I come from California where, in my youth, property values were rising so fast that seniors couldn't afford to pay the taxes on their homes and had to leave them. That's just not the America we are promised, IMO. In California, in 1978, Proposition 13 separated tax assessments from property values and instead linked them to original sale price, and then capped the increase from year to year to 2 percent. That allowed people who bought homes after WW2 to keep them when the real estate boom happened. It also put a huge cap on government spending (never a bad thing in my book).

If you want to end that kind of thing for ranchers, what I would guess (I'm no economist) is that you'll see a lot of people who enjoy the rural and mountain lifestyle having to sell their property, and lots of hotels and fancy commercial developments going up. Then wider roads. Reservoirs. And an even bigger crunch on Colorado's water supply.

Maybe that's just my fear. In general, most of the folks up there aren't assholes to those of us who seek to visit what they get to live in daily.