Looks like we might have started something

What Gay Marriage Polls Tells Us About Marijuana Legalization | TPMDC

Advertisement

Old 04-03-2013   #2
Old Guy in a PFD

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1967
A sign of the times.

Interestingly, no other country legalizes pot; they may tolerate it, but it ain't legal.
Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013   #3

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
What I find most interesting about marijuana is that it's a good test bed for cause and effect. Prior to our various forms of legalization, access to marijuana by children was much lower. Now, as the access to marijuana increases so does the likelihood that children and others will encounter the drug. There will be a cost associated with increased access and I wonder if we're up to the task to handle that cost upfront and proactively or if we'll just ignore it to the point where it'll be too difficult to fix properly. In other words, as accidents increase and people propose fixes, I predict the argument to devolve into, "You're just punishing the law abiding marijuana users." It's the same argument the cigarette industry uses only they added on a whole bunch of freedom and profit rhetoric. At lease, with gay marriage, one can't argue, with facts, that it'll lead to accidental gay marriages or an increase in gayness. lol.

Colorado pot accidents spur call for childproof packaging - The Denver Post
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2013   #4
gh

pnw, Colorado
Well I know those that have argued with me that legalizing gay marriage will cause a complete moral decline.
Old 04-03-2013   #5

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by gh View Post
Well I know those that have argued with me that legalizing gay marriage will cause a complete moral decline.
Yes, of course, marriage is sacred and only for people who are serious about getting married. Like people on "The Bachelor" or Britney Spears...
Old 04-03-2013   #6
gh

pnw, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jensjustduckie View Post
Yes, of course, marriage is sacred and only for people who are serious about getting married. Like people on "The Bachelor" or Britney Spears...
Exactly! Daily Show went through that the other day. Was hilarious.
Old 04-03-2013   #7

Lakewood, Colorado
As I heard it a while back "Since you can't sell your daughter for a goat suggests we've already redefined marriage in the judeo-christian sense."
Old 04-03-2013   #8
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by hojo View Post
Prior to our various forms of legalization, access to marijuana by children was much lower. Now, as the access to marijuana increases so does the likelihood that children and others will encounter the drug.
I disagree.
Ask any highschooler if they have an easier time buying pot of beer.
Old 04-03-2013   #9

Lakewood, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSB View Post
I disagree.
Ask any highschooler if they have an easier time buying pot of beer.
I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with. Are you disagreeing that pot was just as easy to procure 3 to 5 years ago and that the present legalization has little impact on one's ability to get it? I think anyone would be foolish to think that the new laws don't have a direct impact on increased access for everyone. Wyoming surely disagrees as their pot incidents have vastly increased due to the CO (and to a lesser extent MT) legalization. I should have clarified one bit of my post. I was mostly referring to accidental usage and supported that with the link. I wasn't really referring to high schoolers seeking pot.

So, to counter your rhetorical question, ask a high schooler if they have an easier time buying beer or drinking their parent's supply. That's more what I was driving at with the accidental or even intentional usage as a result of increased access.
Old 04-03-2013   #10
Old Guy in a PFD

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1967
The gay marriage thing has always struck me as silly.

I mean, the two reasons you get married are the legal/tax issues, and cause, you know, you love the fool.

The tax and legal issues are something Congress has to address, and has nothing whatever to do with the love part, or for that matter, the need for a civil ceremony. The LGBT community should attack their congress people to get the same benefits/obligations as any heterosexual couple. Congress can put together some bill that simply says, a committed couple have the following benefits and obligations. Simple, not as controversial, and gets the job done.

As for the civil part, I never understood why LGBT couples would want to try and fit into the traditional civil marriage ceremony. I mean, who gets to be the "best man" and who tosses the bouquet, and who gives whom away, etc?

All this issue does is crank up the religious conservatives who (properly I think) feel like their fundamental beliefs are being attacked. Let em have their traditional "one man one woman" civil traditions. LGBT in my opinion should create their own traditions that better fit the reality of what they are expressing, rather than try to shoehorn themselves into a tradition that was created when it was illegal to be gay.

And as far as legalizing dope, I say, as long as you have no problem with getting your jeans more mutated than otherwise, toke away.

Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote