Lieberman: Stay or go? - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-11-2008   #1

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Lieberman: Stay or go?

Joe Lieberman, who famously abandoned the Democratic presidential candidate and campaigned for McCain (even speaking at the GOP convention), is in some trouble with grumpy Dems. Schumer and Durbin want Lieberman stripped of his Homeland Security chairmanship and booted from the Dem caucus. The hard left wants Lieberman's head on a platter.

Obama is now the Dems' leader. What does he do? Let bygones be bygones, or punish Joe the Turncoat for his misdeads?

I think Obama will let Schumer and Durbin rant while he plays Mr. Bipartisan and throws Lieberman a lifeline. Lieberman saves face (and his position of power), Schumer and Durbin play to the vengeful left, and Obama emerges above the fray as a beacon of compassion... and political practicality. If Obama saves Lieberman, the CT turncoat OWES him bigtime.

That's my guess. What's yours?

DurangoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2008   #2
cma

Boulder
If Obama is really about change and unity I would have to say that he saves him, otherwise he is just another partisan politician as usual. I wish more congressmen would vote on issues and not neccesarilly party line.
Old 11-11-2008   #3

Would be nice if there was 60 true Dems so they could tell Lieberman where to stick it. But both because they need him and because it should not be "business as usual" in Washington, I believe he will keep his positions, but should receive zero party support at reelection time.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2008   #4

conifer, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Would be nice if there was 60 true Dems so they could tell Lieberman where to stick it. But both because they need him and because it should not be "business as usual" in Washington, I believe he will keep his positions, but should receive zero party support at reelection time.
He should be booted from the party? For what, backing the person he believes is best for the position...you're a duchebag!
mr. compassionate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008   #5
cma

Boulder
Quote:
Originally Posted by cma View Post
If Obama is really about change and unity I would have to say that he saves him, otherwise he is just another partisan politician as usual.

Well... what did I say?? I might have some faith in this guy..

Obama wants Lieberman to stay with Senate Dems - Yahoo! News

Or you guys could sit here and be adversarial and go against the main theme of your candidate's / president elect's platform and drag us back into another 4 years of the same.. One sided BS politics..
Old 11-11-2008   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. com-ass View Post
He should be booted from the party? For what, backing the person he believes is best for the position...you're a duchebag!
Mr. Com-ass,

Learn to read. I never said he should be booted from the party.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008   #7
cma

Boulder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I believe he will keep his positions, but should receive zero party support at reelection time.
He received zero support in the last election and was not selected as the Democrat candidate so he ran as an Independant and won with a huge majority. I suspect that he will run again as an Independant and will win once again in the next election.
Old 11-11-2008   #8

Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by cma View Post
He received zero support in the last election and was not selected as the Democrat candidate so he ran as an Independant and won with a huge majority. I suspect that he will run again as an Independant and will win once again in the next election.
I wouldn't be so sure--CT is looking pretty darn blue these days. He may have pulled a rabbit out of the hat in the last election after losing the primary, but his subsequent antics may just do him in...

of course the election is 2 years away, and anything can happen b/t now and then, so who knows.

I would say bipartisan spirit would necessitate allowing him to remain, and letting him sleep in the bed he's made for himself come election time--if he's reelected, then the people will have spoken...
Jay H is offline   Reply With Quote