Letter to El Rushblow - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-09-2009   #1

Little Village, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Letter to El Rushblow

A letter to one of America's greatest living statesmen.

Quote:
Dear Rush,

Congratulations! You have been selected by the Obama administration, the mainstream media and 20 million of your most passionate followers to be the new head of the Republican Party.

As such, you are given all the rights and responsibilities that come with being a true political leader.

Your mission is simple: Restore the Republican Party to its former greatness by single-handedly helping Republicans to regain control of Congress and to offer a reasonable and viable alternative to President Barack Obama.

You should be honored that the Obama administration has selected you, El Rushbo, to lead the Republicans in such a quest. Obviously, they find you to be a formidable foe — politically adept and a proven vote-getter.

Since we are a party of metrics and accountability, we would like to see your plans to make Republicans more competitive. While your supporters are passionate and energized, we would like to see how you are going to expand your base of support. While 20 million listeners is an impressive number, Obama had nearly 70 million voters. Fifty million is a pretty big gap to make up, but we are certain that, with your effervescent personality, you will be able to close that in no time.

We would also like to see your plan to help Republicans compete in the Northeast, the Upper Midwest, the West Coast and Florida, in the big cities and in the suburbs. Republicans have been pretty much wiped out in all of those areas in the past two elections.

We would like to see your plan to attract more women’s votes. While we always get creamed by single women in elections, even married women turned against us this time. Not sure if calling female leaders “feminazis” really works in this atmosphere, but we are willing to hear you out on that. We got killed by America’s fastest-growing voting population, Hispanics, in the last election. What is your plan to attract these voters? I know that you despise any kind of nuanced position on immigration reform, but we would love to see any of your ideas for getting some of these voters in the next election.

We got completely demolished by the African-American vote in the last election. No surprise there, given the top of the ticket. But we are wondering how referencing our president’s race in any way, shape or form is productive or relevant to the current discussion. Please let us know.

Another problem area is independent voters, who went with Obama big time in the last election. Not sure why. Maybe they liked his saying he would govern from the center. Now, we all know that was just rhetoric, but will we really attract independent voters if we decide to move further to the right? Just asking.
There are plenty of ways to point out deficiencies in the opposition’s plans. And believe us, we know there are many dumb ideas that are coming from the other side. But our research shows that the American people actually want help with certain things (the failing education system, the high cost of health care, the sagging economy, etc.). Do you have any good ideas that you can share with us — ideas that will be seen as reasonable by the American people — that can serve as a viable alternative? Or is it your plan to simply oppose every idea that comes from the Obama administration?

Anyway, congratulations on this big promotion. We are proud of you, and, of course, we are all “ditto-heads.” Please get us your plans as soon as possible, because we have a lot of work to do.

Sincerely,

John Feehery

John Feehery worked for the House Republican leadership from 1989 to 2005. He is the founder of The Feehery Group, a strategic advocacy firm. He blogs at www.thefeeherytheory.com.

Riparian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2009   #2

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Great letter.
rwhyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009   #3

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Finally someone telling that asshole that he is hurting his own party.

Maybe John Feehery can write a letter to Anne Coulter too, she's an arch asshole as well, not just for people with left leaning views, but for people with common sense, compassion or just a desire to not be lied to.

A few entertaining examples:

Demosthenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2009   #4

timbuktu, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
I'm not sure we watched the same video, I see no problem with Ann's response on either video. I remember the situation regarding their son well. Elizabeth Edwards should admit her husband is a scumbag and uses his sons death for his own political gain. It's blatantly obvious and he should be ashamed. That's what Ann was referring to three years before this video was made.
yarmonymatoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009   #5

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Ann Coulter is so far gone, she almost makes Sean Hannity seem human.

Almost.

(And what's up with her Adam's Apple? That thing makes me nervous.)
Old 02-10-2009   #6

timbuktu, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by DurangoSteve View Post
Ann Coulter is so far gone, she almost makes Sean Hannity seem human.

Almost.

(And what's up with her Adam's Apple? That thing makes me nervous.)
Totally disagree, I sat at the same table at a fundraiser with her last year. We visited for over an hour, the woman is very real, personable and very easy to be around. She felt as real a person as I have ever been around, no bullshit. She is as intense as they come, but I very much appreciated her dedication to her beliefs which are based on large frame of reference which has been intensely studied and analyzed. I think its just ridiculous you simply write off opinions such as Ann's only because it's the popular way to think.

In my opinion her critics should study the issues half as much as Ann and then maybe you might understand her frustration with both Republicans and Democrats. Her brash public persona is how she has sold millions of books. It's how she has become successful in her chosen career path, no different than Howard Stern or anyone else who uses their personality to make money.
Old 02-10-2009   #7
Kjirsten

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarmonymatoid View Post
I'm not sure we watched the same video, I see no problem with Ann's response on either video. I remember the situation regarding their son well. Elizabeth Edwards should admit her husband is a scumbag and uses his sons death for his own political gain. It's blatantly obvious and he should be ashamed. That's what Ann was referring to three years before this video was made.
The problems with Coulter's responses are logical fallacy.

It is false logic to assume that it's OK to call Muslim Americans ragheads because Muslim terrorists killed 3000 Americans. It assumes that because both are Muslim, both are terrorists.
It also sinks her to the level of the terrorist Muslims while the Muslim American asking the question was ultra-polite (to the point of hyperbole).

Secondly, it is logical fallacy for her to change "stop the negative political rhetoric" into "I'll stop writing books." It assumes that Ms. Edwards is telling her to stop speaking or maybe Ms. Coulter has nothing valuable to say except hateful things.

Thirdly, it is false logic to say that because John Edwards uses his son's death for political gain, it's OK for Ann Coulter to make fun of it.

I would be interested to see Coulter's response after the sentence is read to her about Lewinsky and Clinton's chubbiness. How does one justify physical appearance as a measure of competency or righteousness? But then, that's American ideology, not just Ann Coulter's cattiness. Paris Hilton, in all her wisdom, could've made the same statement, if not as eloquently. That's hot.
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009   #8
Self-Aggrandizing jackass

The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
Yarmony - I despise Coulter because of her style. It is a reality of human nature that style can win over substance. Because of her style, she is doing great harm to national discourse. Because of her style, she has earned the comparisons to Michael Moore.

She profits from her style, to be sure. And I have no problem with her choosing her marketing niche as queen dousche. I do have a problem with her being taken seriously as a political philosopher. She does far more harm than good, because of her style. But in the end, I view her as a marketing device for Ann Coulter more than a spokesperson for anything having to do with Conservatism.

What she does violates my personal values, and thus she is a meritless money-whore. More power to her in that, of course. If one views merit through monetary wealth, or even fame, she is worth far more than I. And I'm fine with that.
Old 02-10-2009   #9

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Quote:
I think its just ridiculous you simply write off opinions such as Ann's only because it's the popular way to think.
I write off Ann Coulter's opinions because they are ridiculous. She says outrageous things to sell her outrageous books. Wow. Impressive.

Oh, and she admires Joe McCarthy.
Old 02-10-2009   #10

timbuktu, Colorado
Durango & Helio, I would challenge both of you to read her last two books if you haven't. They are worth reading. I'm done defending A. Coulter. I predict the perception of her will change over the course of the next four years, when much of her analysis will be found to be valid. Same way with Hannity.